Your PCs might be overpowered if...

Glen Sprigg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be too powerful if...

... when people ask Dr. Destroyer about you, he replies "give me your card; I'll see if he's in."

... you have to tell your children to stop rough housing in the yard; it's causing earthquakes and tidal waves.

... the government puts together a huge team of superhumans for "one last attempt to take back our world", and you find out about it by reading the logs from your automated defense system.

... Istvatha V'han greets you with "Here are your dimensions, sir -- I was just keeping them warm for you."

... if Takofanes has to change his suffix to "the Undying except for that one time and I'd just as soon not talk about it if it's all the same to you Lord" after he meets you.

Utility changes his quote to:

" The SECOND greatest weapon is the human mind..."

Nebula tries to send you to Duress, but the dimension wimpers and disappears.

Dr. Destroyer greets you with: "Hi boss, what do you want to do today?"

At your request, Microsoft "plays nice".

UNTIL changes its name to "UNTIL (Insert your hero name here) gets here."

Firewing challenges your DNPC to honorable combat.

Guest Champsguy

Okay. Some of these hit a little close to home. :)

If your idea of 'making it sporting' is to lower down to a mere 18d6

What? 18D6 isn't all that much...

If Eurostar packs it in and offers an apology when you arrive on the scene...

They haven't been seen since two of us beat them into the ground.

If you have to hold back when hitting Grond...

Guilty. :)

If you don't need MegaScale...

If Mechassassin turns down an eight-figure contract on your life because it's not worth the risk...

Well, Mechassassin souped-up his armor, and had a team of other supers with him, but he still felt that discretion was the better part of valor and got out of there.

If Black Paladin, Dark Seraph and Takofanes draw straws to see who has to fight you...

No Takofanes in our game (still 4th Ed), but the others don't speak up when we're around.

If Firewing starts chugging ephendrine before challenging you to battle...

Firewing ain't dumb. He doesn't challenge us to battle.

If Grond can't beat you in an arm-wrestle with two arms at once...

Again, he ain't all that strong...

...the universe is threatened with eternal expansion and a gradual cooling down to maximum entropy and your PCs say "What, again?"

Universe-saving stuff is fun. :)

When a group of villains, through coordinated effort, sound tactics, and sheer luck actually kills one of your duplicates, you yawn and reply

"Crunch all you want, I'll make more..."

Not duplicates, but we do usually let the Con-El robots handle lesser threats...

Prince Vegita (of Dragonball Z) acts very politely when you're around...

I used Susano's writeups. Unfortunately, he didn't last all that long. :(

To be fair to ol' Vegita however I must point out that Susano's writeup is WAY underpowered. Not even close. SSJ would be bought as a multiform...they become exponentially more powerful when they transform. Their blasts are more intense than nucular blasts and they make it clear (especially in the japanese) that at the more powerful levels they can't even attack with a downward angle for fear of completely destroying the planet. As for speed....in short bursts they are at least as fast as the flash or superman on their best days. Battleships have been wasted with casual attacks at the LOWER power levels. Battleshpshells, much less tank shells don't even do stun. I'm serious! Nappa destroyed an entire naval fleet including the air compliment with contemptous ease. And Goku beat him up...this was BEFORE he could go super saijin. The high level DBZ charecters are hardly worth writing up because they are so powerful that the only way their power can be measured is off each other.....flame away ;)

(From the GM's perspecive)

Your PCs might be overpowered if...

...they start donating their experience points to their foes.

...they play "Rock, Paper, Scissors" to see which one of them will stop Dr. Destroyer this week.

...every one of the bad guys has 75% resistant damage reduction, 90 DEF, and a Megascale Teleport with an unconsciousness Trigger, and the PCs still aren't challenged.

Originally posted by Chaghatai

To be fair to ol' Vegita however I must point out that Susano's writeup is WAY underpowered. Not even close. SSJ would be bought as a multiform...they become exponentially more powerful when they transform.

Actually, transforming into a Super Saiyajin only increases their power about 50 times. Mike's HERO writeup of the SSJ forms is pretty much on the money.

Their blasts are more intense than nucular blasts and they make it clear (especially in the japanese) that at the more powerful levels they can't even attack with a downward angle for fear of completely destroying the planet.

Of course, when they want to blow up a planet, it won't explode for a half-dozen episodes so they can show the whole climatic fight. :)

As for speed....in short bursts they are at least as fast as the flash or superman on their best days.

You know, I've always heard about how everyone from Raditz on up is supposed to be able to move faster than light, but nobody's ever been able to answer this question; If these guys are all moving faster than light, how can they see each other?

Battleships have been wasted with casual attacks at the LOWER power levels. Battleship shells, much less tank shells don't even do stun. I'm serious! Nappa destroyed an entire naval fleet including the air compliment with contemptous ease.

Psst! I know Nappa's secret. It's called Missile Deflection.

And Goku beat him up...this was BEFORE he could go super saijin. The high level DBZ charecters are hardly worth writing up because they are so powerful that the only way their power can be measured is off each other.....flame away ;)

Feh! Araele could kick ALL their candy @$$es.:D

• 2 years later...

Re: Your PCs might be overpowered if...

How's THIS for some thread necromancy? :D

...your team's headquarters includes a petting zoo with the Supreme Surpent as the prime attraction.

...your secret lair has a Batphone with Zeus playing the role of Commissioner Gordon.

...DEMON offers to ward your town from evil magic 'as a token of our esteem.'

...the Harbinger of Justice is your sidekick.

...the GM can't come up with a way for Takofanes' VPP to hurt you even after consulting with the Hero board pantheon.

Re: Your PCs might be overpowered if...

If you got rid of the MegaScaled on your powers, and started buying up the range, AoE, etc., by the normal methods, because you needed somewhere to spend the XP's, you might be a little overpowered.

If your range, AoE, etc. are now greater than they were before you got rid of the MegaScaled, you are definitely overpowered.