A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Originally posted by Starlord

Is it wrong of me to want my own personal 'announcer guy'? Someone with a cool radio DJ voice who will personally announce me wherever I go? Perhaps even adding useful, but brief personal info when meeting people for the first time?

I have one of those... at least in my head.

I've seen at least two or three posts in the past month or so that refer to me as 'respected' or 'calm and rational' ... it's quite heady stuff really, but I'm gratified by it. It's nice to be able to say "if you doubt me, go by what you know of me from what youv'e seen" and have it be a benifet.

Of course, the fence humping jokes will occur as well...*homer voice* stupid balance of the universe

Guest Worldmaker

It occurs to me that the media will make anything that smacks of "conspiracy theory" an immediate object of ridicule. I don't have a clue why they do this, but it might be because this lets them out of actually investigating the ruling class in this country.

For example, have you ever taken a look at the relationship between the directors of the various media giants and the energy, banking, and defense industries? They're so inbred you might think they were from Mississippi.

Seriously, if you have someone asking inconvenient questions, calling them a "conspiracy theorist" instantly kills any public speculation regarding the questions that were being asked.

Sure, sometimes the label's correct... but I've begun to wonder how many times the label was applied (and its happening more and more often lately) because someone was getting a little too close to home for the powerful to stand...

Why is it so hard to believe serious people who have repeatedly warned us that powerful ruling elites are out to dominate "the masses?"

Lets take a look at the current Bush administration: A conservative, authoritarian style, with public appearances in military uniform (which no previous American president has ever done while in office). Government by secrecy, propaganda and deception. Open assaults on labor unions and workers' rights. Preemptive war and militant nationalism. Contempt for international law and treaties. Suspiciously convenient "terrorist" attacks, to justify a police state and the suspension of liberties. A carefully manufactured image of "The Leader," who's still just a "regular guy" and a "moderate." "Freedom" as the rationale for every action. Fantasy economic growth, based on unprecedented budget deficits and massive military spending.

And a cold, pragmatic ideology of fascism — including the violent suppression of dissent and other human rights; the use of torture, assassination and concentration camps; and most important, Benito Mussolini's preferred definition of "fascism" as "corporatism, because it binds together the interests of corporations and the state."

By their fruits, you shall know them.

What perplexes me most is probably the same question that plagues most paranoiacs: why don't other people see these connections?

Guest Worldmaker

So now the White House has pilloried Paul O’Neill as a sorry doofus and, by all appearances, launched a punitive investigation against him.

How about denying any of his claims or those in Suskind’s book?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lonely sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; --

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

stanza 1 from Ode - Arthur William Edgar O'Shaugnessy 1844-1881

I find myself facing not one, but THREE stranger in our little commune here thanks to a friend.

The first, I welcomed and chatted it up with... but now, I find myself a bit at a loss and even uncomfortable. I respect that my friend needs to do these acts of charity, but I'm not proud of the slight resentment I'm feeling that I was told one thing would happen, and instead something else has. She didn't lie, but these 'complications' happen so many times she plans something that I still feel mislead at times. *Sighs* Then I feel like #$#$ for being such a selfish #$$#.