A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I know what the problem is.

We have been enduring a critical shortage of the throroughly inexplicable, causing us to go around and around gnawing the chewed-out old bubblegum of last week's conundrums. Humans are not creative enough to spawn wonders by and of themselves, except in mean and selfish ways, and progress toward enlightenment (or the Divine, if that be your preference) comes only when we grasp some new chunk floating past us as we wallow in the psychic septic tank of our collective mentality. We need an infusion of fresh stochasticity, a decoupling of events from precursors, and a rude reemergence of the importance of nonlinear terms into the temporal-spatial vector field that is the projection of reality onto our dim perceptive array, and a fresh invalidation of the pitifully simplistic models we have been forcing upon the data in our attempt to wrest the illusion of control of our Universe.

Let us then cast away Logic, that chastity belt of the mind, and engage in profligate intimacy with the primal forces of incomprehensible chaos. We shall awake refreshed in the morning, infused with a renewal of that sense of wonder which is the most cherished enduring emotion in our anthropoid forebrains. And we shall have enough sense not to count our pocket change as we get dressed afterward.

Came across this one today on Overheard in New York:

Conversation on the Six-of-the-Best Train

Disproportionately hot nerd girl: You know, I was scarred by a guy once. It was on a fur rug. With a knife.

Attractive nerd guy: Wow. Real fur?

Disproportionately hot nerd girl: Real knife too. Very 'Kushiel's Dart' sort of moment.

Attractive nerd guy: He must have thought you were pretty special, I mean, what do you have to do to get blood out of fur? I'm guessing it's dryclean only.

Disproportionately hot nerd girl: Anyway that was my first, and only, foray into S&M. After that I stuck to D&D.

-- 6 Train

:snicker: How come I never meet disproportionately hot nerd girls who are into S&M?

(Okay, yeah, I'm married and all. But I never met them when I was single either.)

I'm not going to tell you where to find them.

It wouldn't help anyway.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reports that Lucius Alexander is running on no sleep and we can be glad he's only operating a computer - although that may be dangerous enough....

Lest people think I am devolving into pedophilia because of this post in the Answers & Questions thread, allow me to explain the inspiration.

I am currently living (well, renting a spare room, anyway) in a home with my best-friend, her 15-year old daughter, and her husband of 4 years. Yes, the Spawn (as her mom affectionately calls her, being that the child's father is Satan) really is that big (I've been shopping with them when they bought her bras). Last night, we all went out to dinner at a Malaysian place in the city, which just so happened to be adjacent to a gentleman's club. At some point, the Spawn tormented her mother by saying "Maybe I could get a job as a dancer next door?"

It had the desired effect on Mom.

AND provided inspiration for an Answer :)

It can do impressive damage to one's logic flow when far down the pipe the casual statement, "Oh, let's try reversing the order in which we do these fundamental tasks, sometimes," gets lobbed into your requirements hopper.