A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

sink back into the void of life and watch the days strangle night in a symphonic waltz to the end of eternity blasting away the safety of the womb crushing souls breathe smoke and fire away with unrestrained force mangling the dissenters beneath boot heels and devestating rhetoric as you wander aimlessly from one moment to the next nothing can stop the juggernaut

persist and march on

Harald Lindes, 85, former editor of the U.S. Information Agency's Russian-language magazine Amerika, died Oct. 11 at the Deer's Head Hospital Center in Salisbury, Md. Mr. Lindes worked for the USIA for 21 years, starting under broadcaster Edward R. Murrow during the Kennedy administration. Mr. Lindes retired in 1980, then worked for about five years as a personal assistant to cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, former director of the National Symphony Orchestra.

Mr. Lindes was born in St. Petersburg, Russia. When he was 15, his father was arrested and executed, and his family was exiled to Siberia. In 1939, he returned to study in his native city but in 1942 was arrested by the Stalin regime, sentenced to a labor camp and sent to the Finnish front, where he was captured by the Finns. Because of his German name, he was handed over to the Germans, where he was drafted into the German army.

After World War II, he left Europe and moved to New York and then Monterey, Calif. He became a master sergeant in the Army Reserves and began teaching Russian at what is now the Defense Language Institute in Monterey. He moved to the Washington area in 1958, working briefly for the Voice of America before joining the USIA.

Apart from work, he enjoyed researching his genealogy at the Library of Congress and reading Russian history and works of world culture and religion. He also enjoyed travel and growing vegetables and herbs at his home in Kensington. Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Olga Lindes of Kensington; two children, Nina Willett of Ocean Pines, Md., and Hal Lindes, a guitarist in the rock group Dire Straits, of Los Angeles; and seven grandchildren.

...it's amazing what you can learn by watching football.

I find it hard to thread a needle. So I made a chart of the nine muses and roll a 10 sided die when I have to thread a needle, and pray first to the indicated muse (unless I roll a 10, which is "none.") I assume that whichever muse (if any) is at the moment willing to assist a helpless mortal with a simple task will see to it that her own number comes up so I call on her.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary concludes that if the assumption is incorrect, all we get is a random muse for threadings.

I am listening to live music: Keltish - Live & Downstairs.

No, really. They're playing downstairs, doing a live webcast at this very moment (5:30 - 6:30 pm EDT). Here's the non-SL URL if you can get there in time to listen: http://72.35.73.167/

Such is one odd, but enjoyable, perk of living in a house with a musician (the red-head for thosa looking at the pic on the website). On occassion, I get front row seats (well, upstairs row seats, anyway) of the live concerts Keltish does on Second Life.

Re:Thread Random Musings

Either the rate of increase is insanely tightly correlated with the level itself, or the whole concept of modelling a time history is invalid.

This is profoundly disturbing.

... a doubling time of 64 days. I'll take that number and run with it.

I so much wish I knew what you were talking about....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests that not knowing what anyone is talking about is sort of the point of the thread....