A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

There's trouble a-brewin' in the Ukraine, as you probably have heard. I read a little gem just now (no link, because of Swedish) that said that Vesti, a Russian TV program about quite contemporary things, accuse our foreign minister of fomenting unrest as revenge for the loss of the Battle of Poltava in 1709.

I just can't stop snickering.

OK, my working hypothesis has been changed to: most people do not grasp the very concept of paradox, and when confronted with something that even vaguely resembles one, they hit it with whatever stupid bludgeon is most readily at hand to turn the situation into something they can misunderstand and dismiss with trivial effort.

Dunno who's training over the hill behind my house today, but they have an interesting variety of hardware.  Some real large caliber stuff in addition to the usual 5.56mm and grenades.  Probably at least one M14/SCAR-H and, judging by the rate of fire, an M60.

edit: And now something with a higher ROF, maybe a SAW.  Just as long as they keep their stuff on their side of the hill...

Booz | Allen | Hamilton

IED Fabricator, Mid Job

Date: Dec 16, 2013

IED Fabricator, Mid-01153099

Description

Key Role:

Perform as a training aids fabricator and maintain responsibility for constructing improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and unexploded ordnance (UXO) training aids for use by training teams during US and partner training events. Research IED storyboards and fabricate new IED training aids based on current real world intelligence and events. Acquire and assemble ordnance training aids with render safe procedures and disposal task utility. Assist military instructors with writing scenarios based on current tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) incorporating an understanding of IED and UXO functioning while implementing weapons technical intelligence (WTI) and tactical forensic exploitation into the training tasks. This position is located in Honolulu, HI.

Qualifications

Basic Qualifications:
-5+ years of experience with the US military
-Experience as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) technician
-Experience with recent deployments to Central Command (CENTCOM) or Pacific Command (PACOM)
-Experience with dealing with IED components and performing reverse engineering for training usage
-Experience with counter improvised explosive device and IED defeat training
-Experience with forensics training or working in a CEXC or TEDAC
-Secret clearance
-Advanced IED electronics training or Certification

Additional Qualifications:
-Experience as a senior NCO (E7 and above) or officer (O3 and above) with commensurate Professional Military Education (PME)
-Experience with US military units within the PACOM area of responsibility
-Ability to acquire, assemble, and manage conventional ordnance training aids
-BA or BS degree preferred
-TRADOC or equivalent service instructor training course Certification

Clearance:

Applicants selected will be subject to a security investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; Secret clearance is required.

Integrating the full range of consulting capabilities, Booz Allen is the one firm that helps clients solve their toughest problems, working by their side to help them achieve their missions. Booz Allen is committed to delivering results that endure.

We are proud of our diverse environment, EOE, M/F/D/V.

Job: National Security and Defense
Primary Location: United States-Hawaii-Honolulu, HI
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time

Nearest Major Market: Honolulu
Nearest Secondary Market: Hawaii
Job Segments: Fabrication, Engineer, Consulting, Military Intelligence, Secret Clearance, Manufacturing, Engineering, Technology, Government

For one of his yuletide presents, oldest boy got a triops aquarium.  "Wtf is a triops?" I asked.  Well...

Triops_longicaudatus2.jpg

Apparently these haven't evolved since I was a boy, but what's really astonishing about them is the growth rate.  We set up the tank and put the eggs in a couple of days after Christmas, and quickly three of these things hatched.  They were 2mm long at most--almost imperceptible white specks that looked like miniature brine shrimp.  Today the lone survivor, which has apparently embiggened itself at the expense of its comrades, is already 15mm in length and is visible from across the room.

I'm not sure how big it is going to get.  If it gets as big as some of the ones I'm seeing in pictures online, it's going to be a problem at some point.

• 2 weeks later...