A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

"Oh, hey, good to see you, A---. Ready to start your first day of work? I guess that means you quit your old job? Hmm. Now, I know that we never got back to you after that phone call where we said we'd get everything nailed down right away, but, well, and there's a funny story about that. No, really funny. I swear, you'll laugh when you hear it. Hilarious. Oh. And by the way, don't bother punching in."

Seriously. Though, to his credit, our District Manager showed up to explain in person.

Once upon a time, a grocery chain decided that it had had enough with all of that working out exchange rates and bothering about the US-Canadian border. "Canada is run by oligopolies," it decided. "Eventually, one of them will buy our Canadian division, because that is the way that Canadians do things, the silly people. In the mean time, we can save muchos dineros by not spending on frivolities such as upgraded IT that the new owners will just have to tear out and replace with their stuff anyway!"

And, lo, so it came to pass. And the new owners said, "Well, between the time when we actually integrate our IT across our new division, we should look into this whole 'tap to pay' thing, because the EFT readers at store-level are on their last legs anyway, so it will get us extra custom without really costing us anything." One little boy said, "But what if there are problems with backwards compatibility with the twenty-year-old servers, like there are every time we have this brainstorm?"

Fortunately, a sharp glance from the CEO proved sufficient to silence the little boy, who was well aware of what Lovecraftian horrors await behind codewords like "we wish him luck in his next assignment," orm unspeakable horror to end all unspeakable horrors, "resigned to spend more time with his family." 

Surprisingly enough, however, the little boy was right. There were backwards compatibility issues. Specifically, unless all tills around the store were manually signed off before 'store close,' and then left signed off for an hour afterwards, the entire store EFT payment system would crash at some point the next day, rendering the store "cash only" until the next business day.

Because, you know, that is a totally acceptable consequence for falling short of a no-fault process.

On a personal note, I am very grateful that I have not crashed the store since we discovered the fault. The one time I did it before that was fun, though.

Life has changed.

For the first fourteen years of marriage my wife dressed like your typical married orthodox Jewish woman: sneakers, long skirts, long sleeved blouses, a headscarf. Subdued colors were preferred. It was not uncommon for people with little experience of orthodox Jews to ask her if she was a nun. Well, that was yesterday. Today, she walked into the office wearing black strappy heels, leopard print tights, a black, sleeveless stretch turtleneck, sunglasses, and a leather jacket. And, she had her hair styled and given a rinse.

She did say she had a surprise for me.

I'm not complaining mind you. She's got a bit of it. And, oddly, it works for her. Wowza!

But, who is this woman and what has she done with my wife?

At what point did our government decide that twitter was an acceptable medium for diplomatic communication?

I mean, talk about recipe for ineloquence, misunderstanding, and war.

One does not respond to criticism of the Secretary of State by foreign politicians in a tweet.

In fact, as a rule, one does not respond at all if its a mere politician and not a national leader.

If this is the thinking that drives Washington today -- no one is driving.

Today's top headlines on CNN:

Hillary Clinton may have called Monica Lewinsky a "Loony Toon" when she learned Bill slept with her.  Oh my. Gasp. That's it?

And, a college jock who may well play in the NFL is gay. Yeah. Whatever.

Question to the editors: wag the dog, much?

There is real news out there to report that is much more important.

No, really. There is.

All this week one of our celebrities has been raising money for Sports Relief. It is all quite hard work as she is travelling from Edinburgh to London under her own steam in a week ending today in a Marathon into London. The weather has been utterly dreadful and she has been followed by cameras all week. The celebrity in question is Davina McCall, a 46 year old mother of three.

There were real concerns after she had to be carried out of Lake Windermere after finishing the swim and that was Monday. Over the week she has raised £615,000 roughly $922,000.

Her hard work and perseverence ought to be brought to a wider audience.

File under WOAH !

So I see the squirrels chasing each other up and down the trees and now we are upto 5 of them. Fair enough but then one gets close to my window on a few twigs. And then another comes up and they are giving each other a hard time. And then what do I see ? One squirrel holding on to the other and fighting him as the second squirrel is holding onto the twigs of the tree and the both drop off the tree to the ground. We are talking about 20 odd feet here. And they both lived through it and went on chasing each other.