A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Time to fight the university bean counters. I feel like the a-hole in the old ad campaign that made Schlitz go under. "You want to take away my data?" [To carnivorous companion animal] "Say hello to your lunch!"

Since getting this apnea correction device, I've been having a lot more vivid dreams and ones I can recall more clearly.

Last night, I was a new student in some kind of Japanese anime high school. I needed to learn to fight, but I couldn't get my button controls to work correctly. This made no sense as I was actually fighting, not playing a video game, but it made sense because dream. I only spoke and read English, so a lot of other students and teachers hated me. I accidentally defeated one of the big master teachers in a training exercise mainly because she was letting me win. Now everyone wanted to fight me. I just wanted to find my next class and all of the signs in the school were in Japanese.

I get it now.

Have you ever seen one of those logos that looks so wrong you can't believe it got past the design stage? Well, we're about to use one of those.

It is incredibly difficult to tell a group of people, including the president, author, and designer that their logo has a phallic symbol in it. Especially when the author says, "At least there's not a phallic symbol in it!"

The Blue Dragons have lost a member.

If you've been to Dragonflight in the last 15-20 years or so, a fixture has been a big set of large multi-table multi-session roleplaying events by the Blue Dragons. Back in the 1990s we had the realization that at a con, you could put on RPG adventures that you could not possibly run at home. We've done this in different ways, with different systems, for all that time. Hammering it all together starts in April or May, and runs all summer, as we brainstorm the plot, learn the quirks of whatever system, playtest our sessions, get our materials printed up and properly organized. Four parallel but distinct tables, in-game consequences at other players' tables for things everyone did, limited and not necessarily controlled communications between bands of PCs, with usually over-the-top, manic action, enemies, and so on.

Usually I am not at the con itself, which happens in mid-August most years and collides with family events owing to birthdays in my wife's family. That's OK; we've got four other gamemasters each with 40+ years of experience, and we all put in ideas, plot twists, and so on.

Another of us, one who doesn't live in Seattle's immediate environs, has been involved just about all that time. He's helped run tables a few times and chipped in on the preparations in some years; other years he's played. That was Bob, who lived out in Hoquiam.

Bob's health had been deteriorating over the last decade, and as a result, Bob had to stop coming to the con about three years back. This led to us deciding ... if Bob couldn't make it to the con, we'd bring the con to Bob. In October or November the last two years we've rented a house at Ocean Shores for a weekend, and had BobCon there. RPGs old (including a long-running pulpish campaign using pre-5th Edition Hero System rules) and new, boardgames, card games, whatever. And we got to see Bob.

Bob's stepdaughter found Bob dead at home last week. One of us brought Scotch to last Friday night's session, and I brought Irish, and we drank to Bob and played, because we knew he'd want it that way. There's a good chance we'll do BobCon out on the coast again this fall, too, though the plans for that are months away yet.

Goodbye, Bob. Keep a table ready for us when we join up with you again.