A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

I downloaded this little time killer app called What if...? that poses ridiculous questions like "What if you could have world peace BUT the internet would disappear?" And you say yes or no whether you accept the deal. Some are fun, some make no sense, but one in particular caught my imagination.

WHAT IF... you could read minds ...BUT... you farted the entire time? 

I balked for a half second, then thought I can just read minds from further away or through a window. Or in wind. Or not even care at all!

"Baker, you keep farting!"

"Yes sir I do, but you're embezzling money and cheating on your wife and your mistress. Now, let's tell everyone these facts and see which one of us gets embarrassed."

Champions has ruined me so that I can take things like this and think I can work with this. I've done worse.

Points to the first person to write up The Farting Telepath.

One day the Master announced that a young monk had reached an advanced state of enlightenment. The news caused some stir. Some of the other monks went to see the young monk.

"We heard that you are enlightened. Is this true?"

"It is," he replied.

"And how do you feel?"

"Just as miserable as ever," said the young monk.

It's not even 11 yet, and I'm ready to kill.

First, can someone please explain to me why people will drive into a parking lot that is mostly empty and still park in the middle of the driving lane? There is quite literally a parking space 10 feet away, but you can't be bothered to get the f##k out of the way to make your damn phone call?? Once is simply rude, but this is now a regular occurrence here. Is it a Gainesville thing? I've never seen this so often in my life. Gotta be Florida.

Then, I get to my desk and discover that hours of work is missing. ^$%# me. It can only be my fault, but that doesn't help. This is gonna be a long day.

Then I find out--completely unrelated--that It Follows, one of the worst movies I've ever seen, is getting nearly universal praise as the next thing in horror, and I know I've lost my mind.

This is clearly the darkest timeline.

Dear YouTube channels,

Please stop saying "If you like my videos you can subscribe to my channel." Oh, can I?? I have yet to encounter a video and thought, "I wonder if I can subscribe to this channel."

We know how this works. When YouTube was young, maybe it was a necessary message. But even new viewers pick up how this all works pretty damn quickly. Your little blurbs are bordering on desperate and pathetic, now, and are excruciating for those already subscribed.

Please stop it. Give us a little credit, and we'll be more likely to return the favor.

Signed,

Annoyed on the Internet

Rereading The Hobbit with younger boy and it occurs to me that it's the ultimate powergamer RPG campaign.

Encounter 1: Entire party captured by trolls.  Rescued by NPC.  Kewl Lewtz: two named artifact swords and a magic dagger.

Encounter 2: Entire party captured by goblins.  Rescued by NPC.  Kewl Lewtz: hobbit finds literally the most powerful artifact in the game universe, on the ground, in the dark, undefended.

Encounter 3: Entire party captured by wolves.  Rescued by NPC eagles.

Encounter 4: Entire party gets lost in the woods.  One member KOed by a stream.

Encounter 5: Entire party captured by spiders except for hobbit.  Hobbit defeats spiders using ludicrous artifacts.

Encounter 6: Entire party captured by wood elves except for hobbit.  Hobbit springs party using ludicrous artifacts.

Encounter 7: Hobbit wakes dragon which promptly incinerates town full of innocent people.  NPC slays dragon.  Kewl Lewtz: party inherits entire hoard including magic armor and most valuable jewel in the campaign setting.

Encounter 8: Horde of goblins and wolves defeated by horde of NPCs.  Some PCs KIA.

Still a fun book though.