2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

31 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The odds that a human being would get hurt playing professional football?  Hmmm...where's Cancer?  :)

As I figure it, P(injury) → 1.00 as t → ∞, at least in the NFL (ar any other professional sports league, for that matter).

I was just pondering whether skipping training camp left him more vulnerable to injury than he might have been had he showed up. I guess there's no way to know, for sure, but it's fun* to speculate.

--

*Not for him, of course.

Yep, there's plenty of preseason injuries, including season-enders.  That's the major reason why the NFLPA fought for limited contact during preseason...and probably a factor why the owners went along.

If Bell tries to report in week 10, I think the Steelers will suspend him for Conduct Detrimental to the Team.  And I can't believe he'll have any support in the locker room;  I'd say it's 100% gone now.  Finally...we'll have to see, but I certainly *hope* he finds his free-agent value has also TANKED.

Personally, I've got little sympathy for star players who are already getting paid ridiculous money.  Poor baby was *only* gonna make $14 MILLION for a year.  After $12M  last year.  And, oh, poor baby only made about $4M for his 3-year rookie deal...gee, how does he avoid the soup kitchen?

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

Hmmm....player skips training camp, then rushes into regular season games and gets hurt.

What are the odds?

How many players were hurt during training camp?

How many during meaningless pre-season games?

I'd say showing up to get beat up early isn't any better for your game health.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Yep, there's plenty of preseason injuries, including season-enders.  That's the major reason why the NFLPA fought for limited contact during preseason...and probably a factor why the owners went along.

If Bell tries to report in week 10, I think the Steelers will suspend him for Conduct Detrimental to the Team.  And I can't believe he'll have any support in the locker room;  I'd say it's 100% gone now.  Finally...we'll have to see, but I certainly *hope* he finds his free-agent value has also TANKED.

Personally, I've got little sympathy for star players who are already getting paid ridiculous money.  Poor baby was *only* gonna make $14 MILLION for a year.  After $12M  last year.  And, oh, poor baby only made about $4M for his 3-year rookie deal...gee, how does he avoid the soup kitchen?

I understand Starlord's point to an extent because NFL players can always be cut without warning.  But, I also strongly believe in honoring what you signed*, and with hold outs, you don't score points with me because you broke your word before they could.   Don't sign to a 5-year contract, and want to renegotiate in year 3, you sacrificed money for security**.  Albeit, the way NFL contracts work with no guarantees does indeed suck,  and prevent from weeping for the owners either.  The players' union really needs to bargain for at least some method of a contract buyout.

*I guess I am old-fashioned. 

**obviously secrurity is largely out the window in the NFL, so the only reason I can fathom long term deals is to prevent from having to negotiate a deal when you pass your prime and begin the slide (though that is still some security, if you still bring some value

Edit: And never get me started on franchise tagging players

47 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Most injuries in preseason *games* aren't among the regular season starters, simply because they don't play.

Holding out in preseason, the risk is that when you do come back, you're rather too likely to be rushed back in.

Pros like Bell and Thomas usually train by themselves so that conditioning isn't an issue when they do return.  I'd argue that training camp wouldn't have mattered as far as Thomas breaking his leg, either.

22 hours ago, Old Man said:

WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH THAT VIDEO CANNOT UNSEEEEEEEEEEE

My dad and me went to a minor league game in the 90s, we had left early, but listened to the end on the radio.  On the last play of the game at the play at 1B, the runner ended up hurting his ankle on a collision.  Supposedly, while on the ground he looked down and could see the bottom of his shoe, thanks to the ankle mangling.  Also at one point, there was concern he might need an amputation.  (he did eventually make the majors briefly)

And BOOM.

Just as you had some wild hair dream that the Dolts would keep it close.........Andy boy throws another pick, big return, 1 play, DOOR SLAMMED.

I think the Pats were just trying to keep ratings up a bit, at least for a while.

BUT THERE'S STILL DRAMA!!! On the stat of the night!!!  Andy...2 picks.  Tommy...2 TD passes!!!   They're tied!  It's nerve-wracking!!!!!!