2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well, 49ers were Browns-level bad last year until they got Garoppalo, now without him again I'd say 1-2 more wins this year tops. (well I'll say 3 more wins considering the messes in Arizona and Seattle and how lucky the 49ers are to share a division with them)

Remember way back when the NFC West was one of the strongest divisions in the league?  Like 4-5 years ago?

So Brees passes Favre with a TD pass.

Then goes one-up by passing Peyton on a 62 yard TD pass.

All time passing yards leader.  Who'da thunk it?  It's not like he doesn't get talked about, but considering....?  He doesn't.  Rodgers, Tommy Brady, any Manning, Big Ben...they all get more.  Feels like Dalton, Stafford, and Russell Wilson get more love.  Maybe it's just playing in New Orleans.  Maybe it's a Big 12 QB Syndrome issue...the system's setting him up for the yardage.  

He should leave the mark on an entirely new level, barring bad injury.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Quote from the very long BR article above, about the Broncos:

The Broncos are 2-3 after starting the season 2-0. Last year, they started the season 2-0 and 3-1 but finished 5-11. In 2016, they started the season 4-0 and finished just 9-7. There are worse teams than the Broncos, but no recent team bakes mediocrity into the entire franchise quite like them. This was a team that built an ordinary-at-best offense on purpose when it signed Case Keenum, expecting its defense to carry it to the playoffs. Even the Jets are laughing at that strategy right now.

When I die, I want the Denver Broncos to be my pallbearers. That way, they can let me down one last time.

Oh, I think both Dalton and Stafford are grossly overrrated;  love to know just how many of Stafford's yards came in garbage time, and the only trust I have in Dalton is that he'll choke in the big moment.  AMPLY confirmed, I might add.  I'm just saying that Brees is probably the most under-the-radar *major* record holder I can think of.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

depends on where they were on the field from 4th and 1.  

Cowboys drafted to run the ball.  They've emphasized it.  Tie game in OT, 4 minutes left, ball's on Houston's 42.  Punt is extremely passive;  several things have to go right in order for you to actually *win* after that.  And it's something you are expected to be able to do.  Texans stuffed the run the play before, but if running is expected to be the strength of your team, then you line up and do it again.

But you missed the point.  JERRY called it out as a bad decision by his coach...and Jerry is practically the only person who thinks Jason Garrett can be a good head coach.  That's why it's more interesting.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Cowboys drafted to run the ball.  They've emphasized it.  Tie game in OT, 4 minutes left, ball's on Houston's 42.  Punt is extremely passive;  several things have to go right in order for you to actually *win* after that.  And it's something you are expected to be able to do.  Texans stuffed the run the play before, but if running is expected to be the strength of your team, then you line up and do it again.

But you missed the point.  JERRY called it out as a bad decision by his coach...and Jerry is practically the only person who thinks Jason Garrett can be a good head coach.  That's why it's more interesting.

If it was in opposing territory I see your point.   I just hate the whole analytical "you should never punt, ever" idea.  Belicheck was an idiot to go from his own 29 that time, would have been better to punt and hope the defense can do something.  

Course, Dallas is irrelevant, to begin with, so I don't care about Jerry Jones' delusions.  :P

14 hours ago, Badger said:

If it was in opposing territory I see your point.   I just hate the whole analytical "you should never punt, ever" idea.  Belicheck was an idiot to go from his own 29 that time, would have been better to punt and hope the defense can do something.  

Course, Dallas is irrelevant, to begin with, so I don't care about Jerry Jones' delusions.  :P

SBNation has an article on coaches on the hot seat...Joseph, Koetter, Bill O'Brien in Houston...and Garrett.  Their comments:

But throughout Garrett’s unproductive tenure, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has supported and defended the coach. Even after missing the playoffs last season — one year after going 13-3 — Jones said Garrett wasn’t on the hot seat.

So that’s why it seems especially notable that Jones chose to publicly criticize Garrett’s decision-making following a 19-16 overtime loss to the Texans. The Cowboys coach played it painfully safe with a punt in overtime that quickly cost Dallas the game.

Wow.  In the NFL, there's bad...lots of that.  There's worse.

Then there's the Giants.  Not including Barkley;  that kid's impressive.

In some ways, what's the worst fate a college athlete can have?  Being the #1 pick.  Godawful team will be the norm for your first few years.  The upside of course is, you *do* get paid rather well.....

Youch.  Postgame comments, Aikman flat out said, "hate to say it but the Giants are just playing out the string."  That might be the biggest rip I can think of, targeted at a team.  Especially this early.  That's a week 15 comment for a 3-10 team, sure, but week 6?

I'm not gonna say Eli is the core problem, but I think there's no point in playing him any more.  Nothing good's happening on offense when he's onfield, so what's the risk?

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

How long has Eli got on his current contract, I wonder? Maybe the Donkeys could trade for him. It worked out pretty well the last time they picked up a Manning at the end of his career....

Signed through 2019.  Google it...real simple.

But no one's gonna trade for him.  $23M+ cap hit for next year, for a very mediocre QB who isn't gonna get any better...and generally seems to have regressed.  I'll buy that gunshy is some of it, but he's 21st in rating this year, and looking at last year, it looked like about 24th among QBs with 250+ attempts.  And given that he'll be 38, with a LOT of miles on him, the only role would be as a stopgap for a year.  But I wouldn't want him.  I hate throwing away a season with a Dead Man Walking QB.

The other thing is, I am just not sure where his head is.  How much does he want to be there...or is it that he's just sick of the Giants?  Further, Eli needs to be THE team leader.  Got the years, got the position, got the rings.  Don't got the personality, from everything I've seen whenever I'm stuck with the Giants.  I think there's a good chance OBJ is locker room cancer, but Eli's in a position to at least mitigate the problems.  It seems clear from the pathetic performance against an Eagles offense that's been MIA all year until Thursday, that there's all I, no Team there.