2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

14 hours ago, Starlord said:

I think Eli is done, but their pass blocking is horrible and their defense is even worse. 

Yeah, he isn't that bad, but, the O'line and defense really don't care to be there.  It's frankly a miracle he, and Barkley have done as well as they actually have considering.

31 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Signed through 2019.  Google it...real simple.

But no one's gonna trade for him.  $23M+ cap hit for next year, for a very mediocre QB who isn't gonna get any better...and generally seems to have regressed.  I'll buy that gunshy is some of it, but he's 21st in rating this year, and looking at last year, it looked like about 24th among QBs with 250+ attempts.  And given that he'll be 38, with a LOT of miles on him, the only role would be as a stopgap for a year.  But I wouldn't want him.  I hate throwing away a season with a Dead Man Walking QB.

The other thing is, I am just not sure where his head is.  How much does he want to be there...or is it that he's just sick of the Giants?  Further, Eli needs to be THE team leader.  Got the years, got the position, got the rings.  Don't got the personality, from everything I've seen whenever I'm stuck with the Giants.  I think there's a good chance OBJ is locker room cancer, but Eli's in a position to at least mitigate the problems.  It seems clear from the pathetic performance against an Eagles offense that's been MIA all year until Thursday, that there's all I, no Team there.

You are answering the question of a Bronco fan.  He probably could bring them success considering (if there offensive line understands the concept of their job)

And pretty much all #1 WRs are locker room cancer, apparently part of the job description.

Yeah, I'm sure Mark Davis is SUPER happy with his coach.  (I'm hoping Gruden will have a terrible 2-3 year run then fade into total oblivion, only popping up as a Talking Head on the "analysis" show of your choice.)

Of course the Vikes won.  Come on, at home, and the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the league?  Almost a bye week.

Gotta look askance at that Vaunted Bear Defense.  On the road, sure, but can we assert the Fins to be a powerhouse offense?  With Osweiler?  Over 500 yards, 30+ points, 8/17 3rd down efficiency.

Did see some headline about "Giants players frustration with Eli boiling over".  Well, they themselves, have been doing everything they can on field for him to lose his job.  :P

Not saying they are wrong or right.  But, quite a few of said Giants teammates have done jack and squat to help out.

Well, the Broncos didn't get blown out by the Rams as I had anticipated. I suppose the good news is that they've played fairly well against the two best teams in the league, the Rams and the Chefs. The bad news is both of those games were at home, and Denver still has to go to Kansas City in a couple of weeks. The other bad news, of course, is that they lost both of those games.

The defense was profoundly lackluster in the first half of today's game, although they did show some signs of fire in the second half. Case Keenum certainly doesn't look like the same quarterback that took the Vikings to the NFC championship game last year. And it's a little strange to see Brock Osweiler having a good game, in Miami or anywhere else.

I have the profound feeling that it's going to be another long season in Donkeyland.

VIkings had a generally better team.  To Badger's comment...ok, Eli might be better than anything the Broncos have now, but their offensive issues are much more extensive than that.  Next to last in 2017 in TO margin (guess who was worse);  24th this year.  26th in points per game.  Defense is 6th worst in YPG allowed, middle of the pack in 3rd down stops.  This isn't the defense that went to the Super Bowl.

Yeah, looks like it will be a long year.  2 home losses?  Good luck going better than 7-9;  Broncos are so awful on the road that thinking they'll win more than 1 road game is pretty much a pipe dream.

Well, come on.  2 pick-sixes and an opponent's offense that needs to be given that nice white coat for self-protection DO tend to make that a bit easier.  I'll grant I didn't even remember the game was on;  was watching the Astros disappoint.  Le bummer...  I mean no disrespect to the Broncos...but that was saying more about Arizona.  Or maybe about ()*@#$!@ TNF.......  

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well, come on.  2 pick-sixes and an opponent's offense that needs to be given that nice white coat for self-protection DO tend to make that a bit easier.  I'll grant I didn't even remember the game was on;  was watching the Astros disappoint.  Le bummer...  I mean no disrespect to the Broncos...but that was saying more about Arizona.  Or maybe about ()*@#$!@ TNF.......  

After last season, I guess I'm just excited to learn that Denver is not, in fact, the worst team in the National Football League.

From nfl.com:  

McCoy's seat was scorching hot even before Thursday night's turnover-filled dud. The Cardinals own one of the worst offenses in the league, highlighted by an unimaginative, stale, droning scheme. In a league of high-flying creative attacks, McCoy was stuck in a dreary past.

<snip>

But the complete offensive ineptitude, lack of preparedness, and an inability to put the talent that is on the roster in spots to make plays falls on McCoy.

Cards are still just 30th in total points right now....with 7 games in the bag, to most teams having 6, or even only 5.

And they're saying the same thing about his chances of catching on as an OC elsewhere...his track record says "forget it!"  Yeah, it's not like any of us really track junk like this, but booted in mid-season 2 years in a row sure feels like something pretty unique.  Not in a good way.  

Well, Leftwich now gets a no-pressure long audition.  Cards' season's already flushed away, and he can hardly do worse.

There's been some canny analysis that suggests Seattle is as bad as everyone expected after Week 1, and NOT as good as everyone thinks now. 

Because the Raiders suck green slimy rocks from the bottom of the cesspool through twelve feet of used catheter tubing (because Gruden doesn't think defense is important so he trashes it, and because he has all the imagination of a cubic yard of used kitty litter and cannot fit his personnel strengths into his preconceived ideas of what an offense should be, and because the Raiders organization over the last several years has handled talent the same way a school of pilchards deal with a falling deluge of gold coins -- i.e., not at all), the Squawks looked pretty good in London the other night.  Besides Oakland, the Squawks' other wins are against Arizona (ahem), and a Dallas team which is, again, being mishandled by its coaching staff.

But ... coming off the bye week, they will face a clutch of teams who seem not to be in either the "Eternal Suck" category or the "Coach With Mind of a Tapeworm" category, and there is reason to think that Seattle will get some serious doses of reality administered to them in unpleasant ways.  They do get another game (at home) against Arizona, and they have two coming against the banged-up 49ers, but the rest of the schedule looks more formidable.  So it may be the "dreaming about playoffs" mode may get swapped out for the "thinking about what to do with a shiny first-round pick" in the near future.

29 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Because the Raiders suck green slimy rocks from the bottom of the cesspool through twelve feet of used catheter tubing (because Gruden doesn't think defense is important so he trashes it, and because he has all the imagination of a cubic yard of used kitty litter and cannot fit his personnel strengths into his preconceived ideas of what an offense should be, and because the Raiders organization over the last several years has handled talent the same way a school of pilchards deal with a falling deluge of gold coins -- i.e., not at all)....

My kids looked at me funny over the way I was laughing as I read this. Cancer, you have a special sort of eloquence that I'm not sure whether I should fear or aspire to.