2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

I hear the Chargers may be an exception.

Saw that story too.  Which suggests one of two things:

1.  They're going down the tubes completely because they'll be on a relative shoestring.  OR,

2.  The owners who scream for new stadia are liars, frauds, and bloodsucking leeches.  The TV revenue covers all sins.

So, I was channel flipping, figuring which college game to keep on.  On one of em, they had the camera in the booth.  Lo and behold...DeMarco Murray.  Huh.  Wow.  What's he doing in a booth already?  Quick transition.  

So ok, he'd lost too much, got cut, chose to retire.  Wow.  How old????  He's just 30.  Wonder how much he made over his career, brief as it was?

Led me to this:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/7/13/17570142/demarco-murray-retirement-means-for-nfl-running-backs

Note, too, that DAMN few running backs get taken in the first round these days, and with the CBA as it is, if you're not a first round pick, your rookie deal is not that great.  Combine that with the fact that running back is still a big position at the college level, and there's still QUITE a few seriously good ones at that level, and the story's pretty clear:  avoid running back if you really want to Make It in the NFL.  

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Nothing surprising there, avg NFL career is 3 yrs anyway.  DeMarco Murray lasted way longer than he should've IMO.  An average RB who benefited from a year when that Dallas OL was at the height of its power.

Well, he had pretty good per carry averages,  but Dallas refused to give him more than 15 carries a game for any reason (even if it meant going 3 and out multiple times with passes with a big lead in the 2nd half, enabling a comeback win).  And he would often get a little fumble prone (I often wondered due to pressing too much to prove himself when he actually get the ball)

That average running back had great hands, and was better utilized earlier in his career than later. Get him the ball in space and he was a terror for defenses. 

Unfortunately for him, mostly that was not the case. He did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. 

I find that what team you end up with, the coaching philosophy/GM, and luck tend to be the best determinant for NFL careers. 

Because his kicker bounced a game-tying FG off the uprights at the end of the game yesterday.  (I happened to catch this--the crowd was silent as the ball sailed through the air, and it made an audible clonngg when it bounced off.)  Also, because Dak's best WR is Cole Beasley, and Jones is even stupider than Gruden.

Yeah, ya gotta feel kinda bad for Mahomes, that voice.....  But hey, considering where he's at right now....I'd take the voice.

Giants, Giants, Giants...pathetic.  Shurmur's defending going for 2 at 20-12 because that's what the win probabilities actually dictate doing.  I wanna see the numbers;  this is an area where you can easily screw up the analysis.  You have to look at all 4 cases...make the kick, miss the kick, make the 2 point, miss the 2 point...with probabilities of each event, and what that all does to the win probability.  If going for 2 maximizes the expected win probability...ok.

But back to back sneaks, too...and on the second, the Falcon LBs were assuming it.

Last, I totally agree with SVP.  Why are we stuck with the Giants on prime time?  They are one of the worst teams in the league.  Slap em on the Sunday early game so they can be ignored.  The ratings for this dog will likely be godawful.

34 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Last, I totally agree with SVP.  Why are we stuck with the Giants on prime time?  They are one of the worst teams in the league. 

The fact that they're in the largest media market in the country may have something to do with it.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

Brilliant football mind Jerry Jones has positively stolen Amari Cooper from the Raiderps for only a first-round pick.  Cowboys are going to the ship! 

/s

My dad was going to call my cousin (a Cowboy fan) but only if Washington won.  I was hoping for a tie to infuriate both.