2026 World Cup bid.

Spence

The US, Canada and Mexico win bid to host the 2026 World Cup!

Apparently something got through to FIFA because for the first time it ws an public vote by reps from all the member nations (minus the bidding nations and three US territories that recused themselves). 

The US, Canada, and Mexico don't exactly get along right now -- at least in terms of their governments. But this is a symbol that the peoples of these countries are somewhat happier with each other.

I would love to see Portland host a couple of games, and I hope I live to see it. Major League Soccer was founded as a direct result of the United States hosting the World Cup -- when at the time it had no top-flight professional league. Now the US and Canada has developed strong fanbases for both the domestic league and the national team, and of course Mexicans have always been obsessed with futbol. It should be a grand old time, and the best players in the world coming to Providence Park (or whatever it's called by then) would be icing on the cake for me.

There were no World Cup Games in Denver in '94 because the Rockies were still using the old Mile High Stadium at the time. (Neither Coors Field nor the new Mile High had been built yet.) I hope that the Mountain time zone will see some World Cup action this time around.

I'm sure RSL fans would love to see a game or three in Salt Lake as well, but I don't know that we have an appropriate venue. Rio Tinto Stadium only seats about 20K. Rice Eccles Stadium (University of Utah's football stadium) seats around 45K, but has an artificial surface. LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo seats around 65K, but under no circumstances would accommodate Sunday games or alcohol sales.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

There were no World Cup Games in Denver in '94 because the Rockies were still using the old Mile High Stadium at the time. (Neither Coors Field nor the new Mile High had been built yet.) I hope that the Mountain time zone will see some World Cup action this time around.

I'm sure RSL fans would love to see a game or three in Salt Lake as well, but I don't know that we have an appropriate venue. Rio Tinto Stadium only seats about 20K. Rice Eccles Stadium (University of Utah's football stadium) seats around 45K, but has an artificial surface. LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo seats around 65K, but under no circumstances would accommodate Sunday games or alcohol sales.

That does pose a problem for Portland. Providence Park is currently being expanded (with work going on between match preparation days) but will only seat about 25,000 when it's done. Also, right now the stadium uses Fieldturf. I would be very happy to see a conversion to grass, but nobody has offered a way or a schedule to make that happen.

There are some improbable-sounding venues that might work. Yankee Stadium, for example, serves as the home field for the MLS side NYFC (one of two clubs in New York) and is a surprisingly good venue for soccer. Not as good as a soccer-specific stadium (NY Red Bull has one), but you could do a lot worse -- and it has natural grass.

Host list is already published.  Seattle is on the list.  Portland is not. 

As for the so called "political issues" that is more media induced rating hype plus politcos maneuvering for election than reality, not to mention today's politics are meaningless for an event 8 years from now.

4 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The US, Canada, and Mexico don't exactly get along right now -- at least in terms of their governments. But this is a symbol that the peoples of these countries are somewhat happier with each other.

Even if the worst comes to fruit, he will have been gone for 2 years. And good riddance

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

For lots of typical Americans out there...

Whom to root for (in no way serious).

The website told me Spain, but I'm actually rooting for the whole thing to be cancelled.  I am the typical American who finds soccer to be the sports equivalent of loose bowels.  It's something that is endured rather than enjoyed; it feels like it lasts longer than it really does; and it stinks.   ?  ?

Anyway, in eight years I'll turn 70 about the time the Cup finishes.  I'll have to see if I can get to see a World Cup match.  Like seeing a total solar eclipse, and a California condor in flight, that one's a plausible thing to put on the bucket list.

(For you USers, I haven't been to a World Series game, but I did attend the final game of the 1995 ALCS.  Sadly, my team lost.)

44 minutes ago, Armory said:

The website told me Spain, but I'm actually rooting for the whole thing to be cancelled.  I am the typical American who finds soccer to be the sports equivalent of loose bowels.  It's something that is endured rather than enjoyed; it feels like it lasts longer than it really does; and it stinks.   ?  ?

The Qatar one might be cancelled.

But the rest of the World likes soccer. So no chance of it being stopped. And the Rest of the World don't like Baseball and Basketball that much. But you have 'World Championships' for these every year when only one country really plays. At least with the World Cup all the countries in the World play and it only takes place once every four years. So suck it up, grit your teeth, grin and bear it.

Soccer is one of two sports I played competitively on any level (the other was baseball).  I am nothing close to what most of the world would call a fan (I don't know many team names, let alone player names), but I spare some attention to it, without any intent of advocating others do so also. 

If I find soccer on TV I'll watch it (muted) in preference to just about anything else.  Roughly once a year I make it to an MLS game, about the same frequency as I get to an MLB game.  For all other sports my attendance for the last decade is exactly zero (excepting a few college women's softball games at the university where I work, and I only watch those because they take place literally right behind the bus stop where I catch my ride home).

I will say, however, that I see more sneers against soccer from USers than I see sneers at US sports (baseball, gridiron football, NASCAR, NBA, WWE, ...) from non-USers.  You'd think it was something wantonly anti-American like communism, calculus, or affordable health care.

I just find it amusing on how much effort some people put into letting you know that they don't like it. 

Every since US Football ended and was replaced with Ruleball (90s?) I lost interest.  When I see a NFL thread I simply skip it.  But maybe I should follow examples and make sure to comment in detail how much I don't like it.  Then I can be impressed with myself ?