My players are scared of Gang-banger with BFG's...

JmOz

So my street level players are part of an investigation to get some top secret rifles off of the streets.  Brute (Think hulk) was able to look at the blueprints of the guns and deduce what they could do...Our investigator is terrified...:) :):):)

First off defenses are in the 10-20 range, usually about 1/2 are rDEF

60 point MP

4d6 RKA

2d6 RKA, AP, AF, Increased Stun, + Charges

8d6 PB, AP, +Charges

7d6 Flash (Sight, Hearing, Explosive

2d6 RKA, AE, Penetrating

+4d6 HA 0 End/ Stretching 1m

+1d6 HKA 0 End/ Stretching 1m 

In my defense the gangers have about 1/2 the OCV of the DCV of the heroes

2 minutes ago, JmOz said:

So my street level players are part of an investigation to get some top secret rifles off of the streets.  Brute (Think hulk) was able to look at the blueprints of the guns and deduce what they could do...Our investigator is terrified...:) :):):)

First off defenses are in the 10-20 range, usually about 1/2 are rDEF

60 point MP

4d6 RKA

2d6 RKA, AP, AF, Increased Stun, + Charges

8d6 PB, AP, +Charges

7d6 Flash (Sight, Hearing, Explosive

2d6 RKA, AE, Penetrating

+4d6 HA 0 End/ Stretching 1m

+1d6 HKA 0 End/ Stretching 1m 

In my defense the gangers have about 1/2 the OCV of the DCV of the heroes

And in your offense, they have a 2d6 Killing AREA EFFECT attack don't they?

Lucius Alexander

In my defense, I have a palindromedary to hide behind.....

Having approx. half the OCV of the attackers is not a defense for your bad guys if you only have to target a DCV of 3 to hit the hex -- especially since it's penetrating and also isn't a significantly limited number (i.e. 1 or 2) of charges.

Sounds to me like your street level characters need to get themselves some ballistic armour that uses the latest carbon nanotube technology (to layer over top of whatever defenses they already possess), because the defense level you suggest isn't adequate for the firepower they are potentially facing.

3 hours ago, assault said:

If the PCs get into a face to face slugging match with these thugs, they deserve what they get.

Hmm, I see your point.  Especially after the blueprints have been gone over.

So forewarned is forearmed but tactics can only take you so far.  And as we all know, no plan survives contact with the enemy.

So the PCs could plan everything down to the smallest detail, do everything right and STILL end up in a face to face slugging match.  If that happens, do they still deserve what they get?

I can understand wanting to challenge your PCs and a hard fought battle is one of the best and most fun I've had in a game.  But with the way those weapons are written up, there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room for the PCs when the lead starts to fly.

Granted I don't know the stats of the players other than they have decent CVs (But one of the slots is AoE with Penetrating so doesn't do 'em much good) so they might be alright and just having a knee jerk reaction to the raw numbers. (I'm guilty of this and try not to let it get the better of me).  Also, if these guys are truly "thugs" THEY may not have the tactical know how to deal with the PCs . . . . 

A few comments

The game is what Hero Games would call "Dark Champions: The Animated Series".  I hate that name.  If there is a spectrum, this is on the side of Champions, but close to the middle

The guns: These guns are for this story arc only, however not saying a few won't show up here and there.  They are built for an ultra elite task force of the military, that concentrates on terrorists (Like Viper)

The thugs in question are OCV/DCV 4. 25  stun, 5/5 Def  (heroes are about CV 8, stun 30-40, def 10-20, most have combat luck, 8-12 DC).  Also the thugs are smart enough to not use the grenade rounds in confined areas but are just gang bangers.  For that matter, thinking things through...most should be -3 with the guns... 

@JmOz

If that's the case, then depending on how many of the thugs there are.  A decent planning session should be enough to find a way to limit the raw power of the weapons themselves.  'Cause even with those CV levels, the thugs could get lucky.

And (projecting here) that tells me the PCs (probably) did what I would've done.  Both in character and out.  Seen the raw numbers and immediately panicked and started doomsaying.  Yes, it's a personality flaw and yes I'm trying to work through it. :)

11 hours ago, JmOz said:

The thugs in question are OCV/DCV 4. 25  stun, 5/5 Def  (heroes are about CV 8, stun 30-40, def 10-20, most have combat luck, 8-12 DC).  Also the thugs are smart enough to not use the grenade rounds in confined areas but are just gang bangers.  For that matter, thinking things through...most should be -3 with the guns... 

How many of them are there?

What are their presence scores? How do they compare to the PCs?

Do they have records? If they are gangbangers, it might be possible to at least tentatively identify them as individuals. If nothing else, identify one and check out who he is known to associate with. Once identified, it might be possible to gain useful information about them - what are their habits, where do they hang out, are any of them drug dependent, do any have medical conditions, etc.

It might, for example, be possible to get them too wasted to be able to fight effectively.

Just ran the scenario.

Brute (brick) took some stun...from a fall

Dragonfly's ship SEVERELY Damaged  (3 body remaining) by government agents

Dragonfly, Midnight Avenger & Bandit...Never were touched

Heroes got the drop on a group about to make a buy, then the sellers showed up...Dragonfly hit them with a strobe from the ship, the 4 gangers fell really quick.   When the gun salesman showed up (with 2 powered armor goons) they used a stun grenade...and some other attacks, took them out one round of combat (the villains literally only got one attack off all night)

While searching the vehicle, Government agent showed up, heroes ran...Government used the rifles to attack the airship doing all the damage to it

Honestly, if my GM put those guns into a scenario, I’d look into blowing up the gangbangers’ homes at night while not in my normal costumed identity.

Or I’d roleplay moving to another city until someone else took out the bad guys.

Your players must trust you A LOT.

Glad the heroes survived. Lucky the heroes survived.

True, and if they ever run into STAR in an Oppositional manner they are in serious trouble.  However, a bunch of gang bangers are not big on tactics.  The fights tended to have the heroes doing lightning strikes, the gangers did not even really get a chance...The only reason damage was done was that Dragonfly (think Blue Beetle-Ted Kord) stuck around to try to get some evidence when he knew the government was on it's way.

I really appreciate the comment about my players trust me.  Part of that trust is that I am not "out to get them", but rather a good story.  Gangers are not going to be using SWAT like tactics, or have super level attributes, and any big threat will be warned ahead of time...

Overall I consider the adventure a success.  I really need to write up the blog entry about how it went...

45 experience points and they can have one ?.   Most of my players understand the genre well enough to not try to ...That mentality is for our Pathfinder game.   

XP wise 2 players did get flash defense (more because of their teammate than the enemy), so none seem to want one of those guns right now...

If you mean in story, they did not have time to.  No one asked to BTW...