Classic/80s Champions Villains

novi

On 2/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Binder, Slick, and Blackstar are largely unchanged from their earlier incarnations. Cyclone, Thunderbolt, Radium, and Orion were never Ultimates. Instead, they had Charger (similar in some ways to Thunderbolt), and Plasmoid, a powerful alien artificial life-form made up of energy fields. Plasmoid's programming had been scrambled in its journey across space, leaving it largely purposeless and random; but for some reason it was willing to follow Binder's orders (most of the time).

Enemies Assemble (a later published collection of supervillain teams) updated and modified the Ultimates. Due to an accident involving Plasmoid, Binder's intellect was vastly expanded. He devised a full powered-armor suit employing force-field weapons, and took to calling himself the Ultimate Mastermind. Meanwhile Charger's health had deteriorated, requiring an extensive life-support suit, but his power increased as a result, leading to a name change to Supercharger.

Charger had actually been shot and had to go on life support, he actually had no physical resistant defenses.  Plasmoid actually gets fixed and tries to destroy the world.

I was actually wondering where to find the original Terror, Inc, not the zombie version.

Also, in which book would I find Charger and Plasmoid?  The original versions?

On 3/13/2019 at 3:41 PM, Cassandra said:

Flashdance, a villainess with a Flash Attack Headband, Flame Throwing Leg Warmers, and Appears to be a different person while doing fantastic dance moves.

*snerk*  Okay, that's a good one.

3 hours ago, novi said:

I was actually wondering where to find the original Terror, Inc, not the zombie version.

Also, in which book would I find Charger and Plasmoid?  The original versions?

*snerk*  Okay, that's a good one.

Try Classic Enimies for 4ed. The full at that time version of Terror Incorporated and The Ultimates are there.

As for the current 6ed version, official Ultimates in Champions Villain Volume 2: Teams, while the new, unofficial Terror Incorporated, well someone already put a link to the store with the product already, right?

Although Vladimir Putin's "kleptocracy" doesn't really resemble the old Soviet Union, he certainly has the autocrat part down.

His super team might not even need to pose as criminals, though. Putin is all about building Russia's power and prestige (as an extension of his own), and a public state-sponsored team of superheroes would fit that agenda, as it did for the Soviet Union in Red Doom. Mind you, they'd have to be careful not to become so popular that they upstage him -- he really seems to dislike that. OTOH a black-ops superteam seems like a foregone conclusion, and they might masquerade as criminals.

Given how Putin loves to project an image of athleticism and virility, if there was a safe reliable method for him to become "SuperPutin" himself he'd probably take it.

I probably should have guessed Classic Enemies, but wasn't sure which editions had roster changes.

-----------------------------

Not going to bother with Soviet supers in my game, at least for a while.  My players want to keep low key to start, touring the Midwest as a struggling, young band.  So no international intrigue, for now.

---------------------------

While not on topic, I will grant that does sound about right for Putin.  Hmm, I wonder how Molyna* fits into modern Russia.  Seems like he'd either be part of that black-ops superteam, or managed to get on Putin's bad side and is working to undercut the Russian government.

*From Champions Worldwide.  I kinda liked the character, for whatever reason.

I'm fond of Molnya myself. Of all the Champions mastermind supervillains, he seems the most mature, disciplined and rational.

Molnya aspires to be the power behind a throne, so he could either be an 'advisor" to Putin (they would have known each other in the KGB), or to the leader of one of the breakaway Soviet republics. Partnership with another master villain is also possible -- I believe the Warlord is supposed to have a hidden base in Siberia.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, Dkap said:

Viper like the 80's version of Cobra from GI Joe BECAUSE KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE !!!!!

Ugh, amazing how time flies.

And yes, that was definitely something I had in mind.  Which means I'll have to watch some episodes of the old GI Joe, since I never did as a kid.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:33 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I'm fond of Molnya myself. Of all the Champions mastermind supervillains, he seems the most mature, disciplined and rational.

Molnya aspires to be the power behind a throne, so he could either be an 'advisor" to Putin (they would have known each other in the KGB), or to the leader of one of the breakaway Soviet republics. Partnership with another master villain is also possible -- I believe the Warlord is supposed to have a hidden base in Siberia.

What I was trying to get at is that while Molnya would be a great asset to Putin and of similar background/mindset, I can just as easily see that tipping the paranoia scales against Molnya.  Putin might consider him too competent to stay subordinate to him; Molnya's contingency and long-range plans for life after Putin could be considered disloyalty to a sufficiently paranoid mind.

Hard to say which way is more likely, or makes for a better story.

Which 80's? Because the 1980-1982 era is not 84-86 which isn't 88-90.

Hair metal guys can face off against leftover Disco baddies in '81 for instance but not '89, while parachute-pants-clad Mr. Hammer and Vanilla Icepick don't belong in '84.

I mean, the Cold War's on in the beginning, giving you Soviets, but by the end of the decade, the Soviets have fallen on hard times.