TNG trivia tidbit

massey

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Anyway, my hair has held up well, 

Mine didn't, in spite of having the same problem you did well into my thirties.  At about thirty-two, I realized my widow's peak was receding.  By thirty-six, I had a "normal" (i.e., no widow's peak) hairline.  By forty-five, it was _gone_.

Though I understand that alcoholics almost always keep their hair.

Not sure which is causal to the other, though.

Yeah, I've noticed receding on my side to some extent.  My hair started going white just before birthday number 17.  Now it is probably one white per every 2-3 black hairs. (though my beard is about 9/10ths white) 25 years later.  Near as I can tell looking in the mirror, my hair probably gives off a "vibe" of black with a vaguely silvery sheen to it.

Though, since I am near my time for a haircut, I can say for my sides of my head, my left side grows faster and thicker than my  right side.  And at this point before the haircut is quite troublesome to get to lay right.  (which is basically always my signal for getting my haircut, when my left side want lay right and keeps getting in my ear*)

*I would not be able to wear my hair like a lot of people did in the 70s, I DO NOT like my hair getting in my ear, I'd continuously be stroking my hair behind my ears in the situation.

10 hours ago, Greywind said:

Stewart was bald when he played Leodegrance in Excalibur. That was 1981.

Well, Gavin McLeod was bald when he guest starred in an Andy Griffith episode circa 1964.

One of my friend in high school had a receding hairline even back then (ironically he was friggin Sasquatch from neck down)

4 hours ago, Badger said:

One of my friend in high school had a receding hairline even back then (ironically he was friggin Sasquatch from neck down)

Not really.  That's usually how it goes, as both are related to free testosterone levels.  The higher the testosterone, the more likely thinning hair and baldness and being increasingly hirsute.  Testosterone is a steroid (and thus a cholesterol) and it builds up in places like the follicles of terminal -- head-- hair while stimulating the growth of both vellus (body) and pubic (which includes beards) hair.   Other signs include high cholesterol levels over all, blood pressure issues by midlife, and many other boring, mundane things related to having a higher level of "man juice" in your blood.  People who for whatever reason are on very long-term steroids (Prednisone being one of the more common steroids used in this way) tend to eventually develop the same issues: receding hairlines, baldness, and a marked increase in body hair.

As long as we're discussing baldness, I had a classmate who shaved his head into a tonsure for a part in a play when we were fourteen.

It never back.

I had a high school friend who went almost completely bald before age 25.

The guys in my family either do the very distinguished Phil Donahue full-head-of-prematurely-silver-hair thing or end up with the typical male pattern baldness while going gray with the remaining hair fairly late.

Guess which one my sibling got and which one I got.

Hint: No one calls me "The Distinguished Archer".

Well, I did notice a few years ago between The Addams Family and the Munsters.  The adult actors on the Munsters lived pretty long after.  But the Addams Family only John Astin made it past 25 years post show.

On another note: Addams Family reruns is to thank for my beginning to uhh, notice the female form in my childhood via Morticia's dress.  (well Leia's metal bikini probably shares that, but that one probably goes to most males in their 40s)

on yet another note: I will likely end up causing thread drift across an ocean.