Tabletop Simulator

• 3 weeks later...

Aiming for first beta release at end of October. 

Features are: -

• Hex distance calculator (distance & height) (100% complete)
  • Dice Roller with target numbers and modifiers (100% complete)
  • 100+ 3D Superhero figures available from other Workshop mods (100% complete)
  • Table Layout for Gameplay (GM & Players) (95% complete - playable as is)
  • JSON Combat record (simple & detailed) import from Hero Designer (JSON Exported written and tested) TTS (75% complete - 2-3 days more work)
  • Storing Monsters/NPC's in card decks for quick loading (75% complete - 2-3 days more work)
  • Interoperability between tools (75% complete - not playable - 3-4 days more work)
  • Drag and Drop loading of Hero Game stats into Models (25% complete - Dependant on JSON Combat Record - 2-3 days work)
  • GM automated Turn Control with Phases / Speed etc (5% complete  - Dependant on JSON Combat Record and Drag / Drop loading - No timing yet)

My current target is to release beta without GM Turn control and complete before first published version

unknown.png

So Str,Dex,Con,Int,Ego & Pre are clickable to trigger a basic test. The dropdown for skills allow you to select a skill and roll against it. The input field next to it works as a dice modifier field for either Stats or Skill rolls.

You either click on the stat .. or for the skills you click on the dice.

Roll results (totals only) are broadcast to all in the game chat window, the person making the roll gets the rolled Dice results as well (but no one else see's them). All rolls are also sent to the GM Logs.

Hover over a movement icon to see the speed of that type of movement both combat and non-combat. Hover over any text for a description.

Now that I can read characters from Hero Designer, I can implement the crosshairs next to the Saved rolls. This will do the basic attack roll and report back which DCV could be hit.

I have written a JSON exporter for Hero Designer, the output from which can be pasted into the TTS coloured  Notes field and named. You can then Import Character to load it into the control.

unknown.png

The JSON file could also be downloaded from a website if preferred. Simply place the URL into the Notes entry instead of the JSON.

All told this becomes an on-screen easily accessible combat record which interfaces with the dice roller.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some significant changes this release.

unknown.png

The player combat records are now detachable, multiple are visible on screen at the same time and remotely trigger the dice roller. So you do not need to leave the action at any time. You can use the bars above your characters head to adjust Body, Stun and Endurance live on the model also. If needed you can add other bars as you want for charges etc.

Whilst talking about the combat records, all players can have them active on the screen, but not see each others. The GM in theory can have a significant number and that leads to the next change I am working on, which will be the ability to shrink them to just the "Title Bar" until clicked on. 

There are some minor visual bugs (spacing etc) that need fixing too.

Overall it will not be long till a beta release on the steam marketplace.

Abort action now working 

unknown.png

After being attacked Nazi Soldier #3 has aborted his segment 6 action (as seen next to his name in Aborted Phases). His Next Phase is now shown as 12 (next to his name in Next Phases).  The GM clicked on the cross next to his name to abort. Once aborted that cross goes and will not return till the player has gone past his aborted phase.
Tomorrow night is Held Phases night and one day tidy up. So should be ready to try out properly by Thursday.
Final piece of work will be transplanting all the Controllers (Player, NPC and Master) out of the Development game and over into the real Hero System Mod.

Hi

I watched the video and I am very very impressed.  I really think that @Jason S.Walters should reach out to you and see what you are doing.  I think what you have done should get a big official stamp of approval.  Tabletop Simulator and your tool suite will allow people to play Hero very effectively across many geographic locations.

@bluesguy thank you very much for the kind words, I appreciate the support.

@Tywyll yes, it is not orientated to any individual Hero System Genre, this will work with heroic, fantasy hero, star hero etc.

some small piece of work will be required for vehicles, AI, etc (they lack some Characteristic). But the system is general enough to support what is required in any genre.

One of the things happening in the Background of the Hero System for TTS I do not talk about is the logging.

As the logging has grown during development, I have come to realise the potential value of this tool. It represents an accurate record of all dice rolls, turns, aborts, holds and other activities occuring within the game. You can see a simple version below.

The Dice rolls (and associated skills, ocv, etc) are also recorded in an accurate time sequence for the game (including hidden rolls).
The true value I suspect from my perspective, will be an effective reference for game write-ups. Combined with the potential to record (video or audio) online games fairly easily, it acts as a "Skeleton" of events and a source of truth for time.
I am certain I will add the ability to add to the time log .. so you can record "Scene" information (1 line of text) quickly, or just ad-hoc gm notes.
I also noticed the other day someone had written a Discord webhook for TTS, which enabled all chat and logs to be written live out to a discord channel (in real time). That might also be appealing.

image.png.ce364383bb321e2b5dc6f6d87897c606.png