Hero-Champions-RPG Discord Server

Trechriron10

On 9/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, Duke Bushido said:

What happened to Skype? 

I remember eight or nine years ago running a game over Skype.  Not too terribly buggy, even with the video feeds.  

Don't think I could ever do it again, though:  so many people breathing heavily into headsets..... 

I can't explain it, but that's got a seriously high gross-out factor for me..... 

Skype is still around and User "Lensman" runs a game with it. But Microsoft has overloaded it, and  it's larger and buggier. it still works.  As for the "breathing on the Mics.  Well, newer mikes are better, because of the microphone placement, but you can also enforce a "push to talk rule" on your game so they can only be heard with a button push.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

The HERO Discord is now over 110 (one hundred and ten) users, with 30-40 online at any given time.

Past writers/artists for HERO are also present, in small numbers. 

There's also a channel for GMing tips, among one per genre and one per edition of HERO...

"Stay awhile and listen..." - if Deckard Cain likes it, so might you!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Cheshire42 said:

Tried to follow the link, came up as invalid.  Does this Discord server still exist?  If so, can we get a fresh invite link?  :)

Gadzooks, I'm not sure why the original link is broke, but here's one fresh from the server:

https://discord.gg/HcUJvJH

Please reply here if the above doesn't work, and I'll generate another eternal join link.

(I'm also one of the moderators on the server)

On 2/2/2020 at 4:03 AM, Doc Democracy said:

I so hate Discord...probably completely irrational but it has behaved like malware on my PC in the past and I just don't trust it.

Doc

Behaved like malware?

What do you mean?  I've got it on 2 systems (don't use it much though, only for voice chat when my son and I play games) and it doesn't seem to be causing problems.

I do have it so that it doesn't start on boot up so if I want to use it i have to actively start it.  I dislike having software start on boot up.  If I want it running I'll start it myself, thank you. (There are exceptions of course . . .antivirus software, etc).

2 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

Lots of little niggly things.  The big one that annoyed me was the first time I deleted it.  A few months later my friends got me to reinstall.  Without signing into anything it knew who I was etc etc.  So it had not uninstalled.  That is a red line for me...

The pedantic programmer in me says "Well that's just configuration data, the program was probably totally gone.  He probably just missed a tickbox.".  He is then immediately shouted down by the security security guy in me going "WHY THE EXPLETIVE WOULD THEY LEAVE LOGIN DATA AFTER AN UNINSTALL!  EXPLETIVE THAT'S BAD!" and the tinkerer in me going "Well I just tried it and there wasn't any tickbox he could have missed.". 

I only put up with the blasted thing because my entire social circle recoiled at the mention of IRC like vampires exposed to a cross. 

4 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

The pedantic programmer in me says "Well that's just configuration data, the program was probably totally gone.  He probably just missed a tickbox.".  He is then immediately shouted down by the security security guy in me going "WHY THE EXPLETIVE WOULD THEY LEAVE LOGIN DATA AFTER AN UNINSTALL!  EXPLETIVE THAT'S BAD!" and the tinkerer in me going "Well I just tried it and there wasn't any tickbox he could have missed.". 

I only put up with the blasted thing because my entire social circle recoiled at the mention of IRC like vampires exposed to a cross. 

Good morning, GB(i).

I've gotta level with ya:

the entire structure of that tells me it was probably hilarious, and I would love a good laugh before I get back into the attic and finish my tinkering.  I would help though, if you would do a favor for a social-media-unsavvy barbarian and explain what "IRC" means.

Thanks, Dude!

:D

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

the entire structure of that tells me it was probably hilarious, and I would love a good laugh before I get back into the attic and finish my tinkering.  I would help though, if you would do a favor for a social-media-unsavvy barbarian and explain what "IRC" means.

Internet Relay Chat.  Freely open chat rooms on the Internet, with all that implies; it was big in the 90's, but still exists today as far as I know.  (I met my wife on IRC!)

On 2/16/2020 at 3:39 AM, Doc Democracy said:

Lots of little niggly things.  The big one that annoyed me was the first time I deleted it.  A few months later my friends got me to reinstall.  Without signing into anything it knew who I was etc etc.  So it had not uninstalled.  That is a red line for me...

Hmm.  I can certainly see where that would cause. . . concern . . .

i can see where that would be a problem.  I've never tried to uninstall so haven't run into that yet.

But I did happen to run across something similar with a Java based program a while back.  Turns out that the program was deleted but user/install information still hung around like GBi  mentioned.  You needed to go into the .jre user app thingy and delete that as well as uninstalling the program.

Wonder if Discord has a similar set up.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...