Hero-Champions-RPG Discord Server

Trechriron10

I have stood up a new Discord Server called Hero-Champions-RPG.

You can join with this (permanent) link -->  Hero-Champions-RPG

Goals:

• A discord server focused on the HERO RPG and genre books; past, present and future.
  • A place where folks can schedule and run online discord games.
  • A place where HERO can announce new releases.
  • A place where 3rd Party Publishers can announce new releases.
  • A place where people can share or announce Kickstarter projects relevant to HERO gamers.
  • A discord server that comes up in searches, focused on this awesome RPG!

Let me know if you want to be a Mod! I'm happy to add any HERO games peeps as Admins as well (obviously).

17 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Why do you hate these forums?  Why are you trying to divert activity away from them? 

Discord is super popular!

When I went to look for a Discord server for HERO I found a small server focused on a superhero setting that discussed a bunch of RPGs. Not exactly HERO-related. Having a Twitter account doesn't mean I hate Facebook. I use a bunch of different social media platforms. I feel like the goal here is to meet people where they are at. It doesn't hurt to have a presence on every platform. Did you know there is a /r/Champions and /r/herosystem Reddit forums? A Facebook fangroup? :D

To wit: when I upload something to the downloads here, I link to it in other places - to encourage people to come look here! The goal is to generate buzz, find people where they are at and then share stuff with those interested. One of the big issues with non-current-D&D RPGs is keeping the presence up to those looking for something else. I believe having a Discord server could help on that front. Think of it as screaming into the room from under the 800lb gorilla...

I support the idea of a Discord for Hero System/Champions players to chat in real-time. These forums are invaluable for long-form discussions where you want the content to be searchable and to endure for years. A Discord is good for casual conversation where anything said doesn't need to last any longer than the few minutes it will remain on screen before getting scrolled off by newer comments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid.

Can someone from this board tell me precisely what Discord is?  (I have sort of a history with you guys; I trust you more than those _other_ random strangers on the internet....  :lol:  )

It's a chat system.  It's like IRC, or America Online or its predecessors, Compuserv, etc.  

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to Skype? 

I remember eight or nine years ago running a game over Skype.  Not too terribly buggy, even with the video feeds.  

Don't think I could ever do it again, though:  so many people breathing heavily into headsets..... 

I can't explain it, but that's got a seriously high gross-out factor for me..... 

11 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

What happened to Skype? 

I remember eight or nine years ago running a game over Skype.  Not too terribly buggy, even with the video feeds.  

Don't think I could ever do it again, though:  so many people breathing heavily into headsets..... 

I can't explain it, but that's got a seriously high gross-out factor for me..... 

We use roll20 and pretty much no headsets. Everyone is on speakers and mics, which does get some background noise once in a while but no heavy breathing. I feel you on that on.

- E

I am having some kind of weird connection issue using the link in the opening post.  I already use Discord for a few groups (a couple different groups of gaming friends, and Greg Rucka has one for Lazarus), so I know I can get into those channels.

......AND as I was typing this, the connectivity concern settled itself.  

On 9/9/2019 at 3:09 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid.

Can someone from this board tell me precisely what Discord is?  (I have sort of a history with you guys; I trust you more than those _other_ random strangers on the internet....  :lol:  )

I use Discord extensively. It's like a working version of Skype, with better privacy, but allows file sharing.  It can facilitate 1 to 1 chat and voice communication and file sharing, But also allows one to create private or public group environments, such as for individual games for voice, plus a chat for text and file sharing.  We use it for our Roll20.net games. I use it as well for group projects and discussions, It's a great coordination tool.