32 minutes ago, Armitage said:

There was an interesting line on one of the news broadcasts about superheroes in other communities.  It was easy to overlook, but it leaves me wondering who else is out there on this Earth.

In a perfect setting, Icon and Rocket, the Blood Syndicate, Hardware and Static Shock. ;)

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

From what I understand, the Driving while Black moment was based on real incidents experienced by showrunner Salim Akil/Director himself.

Real incidents that happen all over the country, every day, so yeah, I'm sure it's happened to him too.

The "social commentary" is part and parcel of the world they're depicting.  That's what it's like.

Switching gears, I did enjoy the premiere.  The costume looked better in action than it does in still photos.  I was a little put off by the fact that he's got a high-tech costume guy, that's been done and done to death.  But otherwise I liked the characters, the writing, and the whole premise of the retired super reluctantly donning the mantle of hero again.

3 hours ago, Armory said:

Real incidents that happen all over the country, every day, so yeah, I'm sure it's happened to him too.

The "social commentary" is part and parcel of the world they're depicting.  That's what it's like.

Switching gears, I did enjoy the premiere.  The costume looked better in action than it does in still photos.  I was a little put off by the fact that he's got a high-tech costume guy, that's been done and done to death.  But otherwise I liked the characters, the writing, and the whole premise of the retired super reluctantly donning the mantle of hero again.

In their defense, I think the high tech costume guy is straight from the comic books, though my BL Lore is weak

36 minutes ago, Hermit said:

In their defense, I think the high tech costume guy is straight from the comic books, though my BL Lore is weak

That could very well be, BL came along at the tail end of my regular comic reading, and I wasn't a big DC guy to begin with.  I don't know much about him at all.

This is the image I remember from when I was reading comics.  Yes, a long time ago. 

image.png.fad40bb60b705c9f5e54dd30978b7b2f.png

but I've found more recent images like this:

image.png.587a73216a42dc2c494d80aef1a853a0.png

I may have gone with narrower lighting on the chest for the TV show.  But overall the show and the presentation of BL was not bad for a CW show. 

Peter Gambini, an ordinary tailor that created a force field belt that could be used to throw lightning. And then the power became innate when the belt was damaged. Word is his brother used to work for the Rogues.

I always wondered why they aged BL up when he was originally younger than Batman. Maybe it was to tie him to the seventies after the fact.

CES  

I wouldn't mind seeing a superhero whose hardware support guy didn't know what the hell he was doing. 

Then again, TV BL's power seems to be hereditary, so perhaps the origin story is different.

4 hours ago, csyphrett said:

I always wondered why they aged BL up when he was originally younger than Batman. Maybe it was to tie him to the seventies after the fact

He’s not THAT old!

8 hours ago, dmjalund said:

He’s not THAT old!

Maybe not but he was already divorced and didn't have kids in his original run. He didn't have them the original run of the outsiders either. But now he has two teenage daughters, one of which was in the new outsiders bonking Roy Harper I think. He goes from being a teacher to the secretary of education under Luthor. 

It's like some fan fiction writer said hey let's make black lightning an old man and give him kids. Everybody else will stay the same.

On the other hand, they did the same with Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen, and then erased it. So who knows?

CES