Hello again! I have cancer.

BoneDaddy

13 hours ago, BoneDaddy said:

Hey all!

treatment for throat cancer is allegedly more physically challenging than most. It certainly did suck at the end, and the healing process has continued to be somewhere between painful and merely aggravating since. By the end of October I had received all the radiation my neck can take, I think ever. We will take a look via PET scan on December 28 to see if they got it or not. Dear lord I hope so. 

I feel more or less fine, but far from perfect. The waiting is the hardest part right now: without the PET scan I’m Schroedinger’s cat, both fine and doomed simultaneously. 

I’m still having a hard time keeping my weight up, a ridiculous complaint for a middle aged American. Eggnog is a fantastic way to inhale calories, and I am getting a bit sick of it.  I look much better than I did a month ago, so everyone in the house is looking at me less balefully than they did before. 

as far as we can currently tell, I don’t have cancer anymore. As far as we can tell right now.  December 28 will, I dearly hope, provide better evidence for that conclusion. 

That last line is wonderful to hear in particular! I hope so too

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is my PET scan, to find out if I’m fine or so very terribly horribly not. To say I am anxious about the latter possibility is an extreme understatement. To help, my subconscious has been serenading me with Freddy Mercury singing “Who Wants to Live Forever?” for the past three days. 

Me. That’s who. Me. I do. 

I felt fine before my initial diagnosis, so my usual reserves of aplomb and overconfidence have been sorely diminished. 

the PET scan was easy - I’m cool with tight spaces and the hard part is not falling asleep and trying to roll over. I’ll hear about the results in a day or two. 

My neck can’t take any more radiation. If they didn’t kill all the cancer, what seemed incredibly hard when I was going through it before will have been the easy part. My fantastic odds will have become much, much worse. I’ll find out in a day or two.

The odds are currently very much in my favor, like 19 to 1. I’d bet on me right now. If the dealer has an ace in that hole I’ve got a real problem. 2 days to find out. 

Good news! As far as the doctors setting the global standard for treating my cancer can tell, I currently don’t have cancer. 

Happy New Year Everyone!

On 12/29/2020 at 2:47 AM, Old Man said:

Yes, we're all pulling for you BD.  Victory on a 17- sounds like pretty good odds.

Turned out to be good enough odds.  Thank all the gods, even the Old Ones.  On a critical fail this cancer pulls out the old Iron Crown tables. 

On 12/31/2020 at 8:22 PM, BoneDaddy said:

Good news! As far as the doctors setting the global standard for treating my cancer can tell, I currently don’t have cancer. 

Happy New Year Everyone!

Turned out to be good enough odds.  Thank all the gods, even the Old Ones.  On a critical fail this cancer pulls out the old Iron Crown tables. 

Very glad to hear that.  Survival rates have gone up dramatically in the last few decades, and eventually, hopefully, all but the worst case scenarios will be highly treatable.