A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

As of late, I have been collecting AD&D 2e box sets (some sealed, some open but with pristine contents); I must say that they are a more pleasing product compared to what we get nowadays. Obviously, a hardcover book beats a softcover in terms of durability and they require less space, but...you miss out on all the "feelies" (e.g., full-sized maps, faux-handwritten letters, additional artwork, tokens/counters, dice, et cetera) that help to sell the experience.

If only we could get especially durable box sets with hardcover books and all the fantastic old-school paraphernalia (perhaps nestled in foam with custom cutouts?).

Below is an example I recently acquired: the 2e Tales of the Lance box set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those quasi-tarot cards are awesome.

Interesting on XP advancement. Although I disagree with his point about characters not really getting more powerful. His assumption is that monsters will get more powerful in order to challenge players therefore characters aren’t really getting more powerful. If your character goes from nit being afraid that a kobold will kill you in one hit to being reasonably sure you can kill a dragon then you have become more powerful.

A town might become replaced by undead, but only where it is relevant to the adventure(s) in question; the same can be said for lycanthropes. Why isn’t everyone a were-creature? Green slime also replaces the living...why isn’t everything green slime?
It all comes down to how they are used. Any creature capable of similar propagation taken to it’s most powerful end result and let loose in the game world will break the game. The DM/GM has the power to use such creatures in a way that prevents this.

7 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

A town might become replaced by undead, but only where it is relevant to the adventure(s) in question; the same can be said for lycanthropes. Why isn’t everyone a were-creature? Green slime also replaces the living...why isn’t everything green slime?
It all comes down to how they are used. Any creature capable of similar propagation taken to it’s most powerful end result and let loose in the game world will break the game. The DM/GM has the power to use such creatures in a way that prevents this.

What are the natural predators for undead, lycanthropes, and green slime, respectively?  It's natural for predator-prey populations to ebb and flow in a cyclical manner.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

What are the natural predators for undead, lycanthropes, and green slime, respectively?  It's natural for predator-prey populations to ebb and flow in a cyclical manner.

Green slime may not be so bad, but I would not want to meet anything capable of regularly chowing down on lycanthropes (requires silver or magical weapons or their equivalent to damage) or the undead.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

The first two are probably apex predators whose numbers will tend to fall once insufficient prey is available.

A lot depends on what kind of undead - the more sentient types (eg vampires) might be capable of regulating their own numbers. But that depends on them being natural beings in some sense - the more demonic types might actually want to wipe out all living beings and turn the world into some weird hellscape.

Part of the problem is that we are apparently assuming some variety of Gygaxian naturalism, where monsters are part of a somewhat functioning ecosystem.

That tends to rule out the obvious response of Purifying Flame!!!!!! on a large scale. Sodom and Gomorrah have been overrun by vampires? Foom! and other onomatopoeic noises!

I tend to assume that green slime requires the damp darkness of dungeons and caverns, and too much fresh breeze or sunlight will dry it out, so it doesn't spread terribly quickly.

I put werewolves down to terribly short lifespans- like a canine: they age seven years every year.  I also tend to assume that like vampires, not every bite passes the curse.  My head cannon was that you has to be reduced to and recover from something like near-death- say less than 5 HP or something.

In HERO terms, this is a T-form instead, which I model as having a high upper limit, but no auto-hits (cant remember what that is calked right now: it takes another bite that does BODY to roll the next total of T-form.