Coastal City from Atlas Unleashed

Mark Rand

I’m not very familiar with the supplement in question, but I’ve found using real world locations as a reference to be easier for most players to visualize.  You might try something like “the San Diego area” or “near Seattle”. 

On 12/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, Mark Rand said:

I'm considering using Coastal City from the 3E book Atlas Unleashed.  Besides placing it on a bay, where would be the best place to set it?

And just to be different, I'm going to toss out "on one of the Great Lakes."

Middle America doesn't get enough super-action.

:D

20 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

1607992193506.jpg

Admittedly, I don't have much comic book knowledge.

Google tells me that was a flop.

I don't actually know myself, but if it did in fact flop, it sort of supports the "not much superhero action."

If it didn't flop, then obviously, those people need company, so it's a win/win  sort of thing, I think.   :lol:

Sodus Bay is renamed Coastal City Bay.

There is a channel, that may be one of many creeks or a river, lined with factories.  There is also a lighthouse, with two buildings, operated by the Coastal City Bay Historical Society, at the end of the 7,500-foot-long barrier beach.  One building is the Coastal City Bay Museum.

Frederick Douglass - Greater Rochester International Airport is the closest commercial airport to Coastal City.  The other area airports are Wayne Air Force Base, Wayne County Airport (a general aviation airport preferred by business travelers), and Chimney Bluffs Airport (a general aviation airport near Chimney Bluffs State Park and the NASA telemetry station).

Coastal City takes up the eastern two thirds of Wayne County.  The Erie Canal goes through the lower third of the city.  Four regular bridges and four drawbridges span the canal.  The NASA telemetry station is south of the canal.  SUNY Coastal City and most of the University Medical Center hospitals are north of the canal.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:57 PM, Duke Bushido said:

And just to be different, I'm going to toss out "on one of the Great Lakes."

Middle American doesn't get enough super-action.

:D

That’s right! I had a fictionalized version of Erie, PA-Iroquois City in a game.  And come to think of it, I needed a fictional city from across the lake in Canada.  Coastal City could work.

I had the idea of using a map of Pittsburgh, oriented so that the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers would be at the narrowest part of the bay. 

The various streams could feed either the bay or the rivers and the part of the Erie Canal in the city would use its rivers.

One good thing about using Pittsburgh as the basis for Coastal City is that maps and references for it are easy to find. 

The following is from Wikipedia.  “The Bridges of Pittsburgh play an important role in the city’s transportation system.  Without bridges, the Pittsburgh region would be a series of fragmented valleys, hillsides, river plains, and isolated communities.

“A 2006 study determined that Pittsburgh has 446 bridges, and with its proximity to three major rivers and countless hills and ravines, Pittsburgh is known as "The City of Bridges".  The city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County may be the largest owners of bridges in the country in proportion to their size, possibly exceeding the larger but flatter City of New York, which has boroughs on three large islands - Manhattan, Staten, and Long - and the mainland, in addition to numerous small islands.”

The local equivalents of the Senator Robert D. Fleming Bridge, commonly known as the 62nd Street Bridge, over the Allegheny River and the Glenwood Bridge over the Monongahela River would be where the Erie Canal enters and leaves the city’s river system.

59 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Coastal City could also be on the Gulf Coast.  The states there are Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.  Vibora Bay, Florida can’t be the only city there with supers.

It isn't. Miami is base of operations for a hero team called The Watch, while Houston's primary champions make up The Hero Corps. Houston is also home to a solo hero known as The Messenger. (See Champions Universe p. 72 for team membership. The Messenger has a full 5E write-up in Champions Universe: News Of The World.)

19 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

I was thinking of having the team, possibly a teenage one, in the Matagorda Bay area.

Just looked that up -- looks good, lots of potential. Either this or Sodus Bay should be fine for your purposes. Main differences would be the countries you'd interact with if you want any international activities, and of course the role weather might play. ;)