Do you feel....lucky???

unclevlad

18 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Well...no luck for me.  Or mostly.  I did win back $2 out of the $10....

BUT no one won tonight (Mega Millions) so the feeding frenzy REALLY begins to go wild.  Estimated jackpot for Friday is a bit under $1B.  As in Billion.  As in dollar amounts you only hear about in Federal budgets.  Cash value a bit over $700M.  

BTW, the highest Federal tax rate is 37% this year.  Max state tax is 5%, but that of course varies wildly, and some cities have an income tax too.  But it kinda matters...8% more in my grubby greedy hands means $56M here.  Heck, figure that's more than I will ever, EVER need so I could keep that for myself and try to do Good Things with all the rest.

I said I *could* people........stop sniggering behind my back......

I think that each one of us ought to pledge to help HERO games with any lottery winnings.

< Bow your head and recite after me >

" I, < fill-in-your-name >, do solemnly swear that if unclevlad wins the MegaMillions lottery, that he should buy us each the HERO product of our choice.

May your luck dice be ever hot, so help me God."

Biggest single lottery prize we have in Canada is the so-called "Lotto Max" that goes up to $60 million. But if it gets to that point and the prize still hasn't been won, they start adding additional million-dollar prizes you can win separate from the big jackpot. I've occasionally played the Lotto Max when there's a bunch of those side pots, which are more my size.

A few weeks ago, I prayed to win the lottery.  But I didn't win.

The next week, I prayed again.  "I could do so much good with that money, God.  Please let me win."  But I didn't win.

Yesterday, I prayed again.  "Please, God, let me win the lottery.  I could help so many people!"

Then a voice boomed down from above.  "At least meet me halfway and buy a lottery ticket!"

I need to recompute the probability of being struck by a meteorite (being killed by a meteor airburst counts as well) in one calendar year and compare that to lottery odds.  I don't remember the value I got 20-odd years ago when I scratched up an estimate of that, and there's lots better data for making the estimation now.

According to USA Mega, a single ticket sold in Maryland matched all six Powerball numbers, making its possessor 731 million dollars richer.  I bought my ticket in Illinois--so it wasn't me. 

spacer.png

Doggone it.

The Mega Millions jackpot is still ridiculously huge at 970 million, so it's still possible to become the richest person in your town--assuming your town isn't a major metropolitan area.  I'll play--but you already knew that.  Maybe on Saturday I'll have some really good news to share.

Maybe.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

If you win, don’t tell us. Don’t tell anyone you aren’t absolutely certain you can trust. That kind of money attracts all kinds of attention, almost none of it good. 

That sort of money is a superpower, and this leads off toward the trope of secret identity.

Winning the lottery is one of my favorite excuses for when I take Money, but not things like High Society.  Not the only one;  hitting the right tech and drug stocks yielded some insane returns too.  Or being in early, with stock options, at Microsoft...quite a few Excel or Word project managers retired quite early.  And in principle...if you mined Bitcoin from the get-go, you *could* do very, very well.  (I'm talking before everyone and their cousin started to do it.)