Pariah

Rafa Nadal couldn't play the Monte Carlo ATP 1000, and today announced his withdrawal from Barcelona.  He's won Monte Carlo 10 times, and Barcelona...which he considers his home tournament...12 times.  Madrid's also in doubt.  He hasn't played since losing in the Aussie Open, and very little between the US Open and the Aussie.  Basically, his body is just falling apart.  LONG term ankle problem, more recent hip injury, knee problems in the past.  He also turns 37 in a couple of months.  

I think there's a very good chance he'll retire.  I can't see him playing well in Paris or at Wimbledon, if he can physically play at all, due to rust.  The flip side will of course be whether he can stand up to the wear and tear...and recent history says no.  He's made comments suggesting retirement's possible, and with Rafa, it's not being disingenuous.

Coach Rambler wins the Grand National

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/65285871

The European Gymnastics championships are taking place in Turkey

Britain's Luke Whitehouse wins Gold in the Floor Final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/65285754

Ireland's Rhys McClenaghan regains pommel horse title

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/65270449

Britain's Gadirova win's European all around gold

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/65277020

Britain's Women win the team gold for the first time

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/65258199

Britain's Jake Jarman wins all around silver

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/65263754

Edited by death tribble

The Colorado Avalanche were 14 points behind the Dallas Stars in January. After an impressive three-month stretch run, they won their final game of the year against Winnipeg a couple nights ago to win the Central Division title. 

The Avs begin their defence of Lord Stanley's Cup as the #2 seed in the Western Conference. They open their first round series against the Seattle Kraken on Tuesday night.

Sadly, they will not have Gabriel Landeskog for the playoffs, as he is still recovering from a knee injury he suffered in October. He has had three surgeries on the knee so far, and it looks like a fourth will be necessary soon. It is still unclear whether he'll even be available at the beginning of next season. 

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Sadly, they will not have Gabriel Landeskog for the playoffs, as he is still recovering from a knee injury he suffered in October. He has had three surgeries on the knee so far, and it looks like a fourth will be necessary soon. It is still unclear whether he'll even be available at the beginning of next season. 

One must wonder if this is going to force him to retire.  If there's another procedure on the knee/quad, will it be possible for it to recover adequately?

Not that it much matters.  The Bruins are fairly heavy favorites, but then...when you set records for most points and most wins, that kinda goes with the territory.  Avs are the #2 pick, tho.

For those who wanna watch...playoffs start tomorrow (Monday) night.  Games are split...mostly ESPN and ESPN 2, some on TBS or occasionally TNT.  Nice thing about the NHL playoffs is, it's a clockwork schedule.  Barring clinches and waiting for the next round...pretty much every team plays every other night, unlike the NBA where there are often multiple off days between games...even if there's no travel.  

Game 7 of the Avalanche vs. Kraken series tonight. Winner gets the Dallas Stars.

Meanwhile, the Toronto Maple Leafs have won a playoff series for the first time in half of forever. And they beat Tampa to do it, which is never a bad thing. Now they await the Bruins and Panthers to see who's up next.

Edited by Pariah

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Game 7 of the Avalanche vs. Kraken series tonight. Winner gets the Dallas Stars.

Meanwhile, the Toronto Maple Leafs have won a playoff series for the first time in half of forever. And they beat Tampa to do it, which is never a bad thing. Now they await the Bruins and Panthers to see who's up next.

Edmonton knocked off Kings too.

Hoo boy...

Just learned that earlier this month, 2 players are suing the former NMSU basketball coach, an assistant, and the University Regents for the actions that led to the program shutting down mid-season.  Not surprising in the least.

Also heard that the last player from the team entered the transfer portal today.  Also not surprising, really...but AFAIF unprecedented.  The new coach is going to have his hands full to be even remotely competitive in the fall.  

WOW...............

The 2nd case of the top regular season team falling in the first round.  First it was the Bucks losing to the Heat.  Now...the Boston Bruins have a lead in the 3rd...give up a tying goal, and lose in OT.  After setting records for most points and most wins in a season.

Shades of the 2001 Seattle Mariners, who won 116 in the regular season, but lost in the ALCS decisively.  (This was when there were only 4 teams from each league, so they beat only the Indians...and had to take the last 2 to do that.)  Or the 2005 Colts...went 14-2, and lost in their first playoff game.

Not only that, but the Bruins were up 3-1 in the series.  Hockey is a funky game...the nominal underdog wins more often than in most sports.  Still...a 3-1 series lead means you win a bit over 90% of the time.  Couple that with nominally being a record-setting team, and this is arguably the biggest collapse in North American pro sports history.

Congratulations to the Seattle Kraken on the first playoff series win in franchise history. It's unfortunate that it came at the expense of my Avalanche, but there it is.  

Best of luck against Dallas! And best wishes to the Edmonton Oilers against the thrice-accursed Vegas Golden Knights. 

I think I watched all of about ten minutes of that series.  The NHL just isn't on my radar at this point.  I have been to two NHL games, but both were in the mid-1980s in the old Chicago Stadium watching the Blackhawks.  The experiences confirmed all the stereotypes about hockey fans....

EDIT: meanwhile, this is informative ... ?  :confused:

Edited by Cancer

5 hours ago, Cancer said:

I think I watched all of about ten minutes of that series.  The NHL just isn't on my radar at this point.  I have been to two NHL games, but both were in the mid-1980s in the old Chicago Stadium watching the Blackhawks.  The experiences confirmed all the stereotypes about hockey fans....

Hockey is an acquired taste. My parents took us down to a lot of DU games when I was growing up. I developed an appreciation for the speed and athleticism of the game. Kind of like American football, but without the constant committee meetings.

Many years ago, I went with a church group to see a game. I spent pretty much the entire evening explaining the basics to everyone else. I came away feeling that I'd had a pretty good evening. 

My experiences with skating (abject failure and nothing but) keep me from even pretending I could play hockey.  As something to watch it's OK, but it's about as relevant to me personally as freeform lava swimming.