Pariah

How NOT to run a college basketball tournament.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/coach-says-vegas-tourney-set-back-womens-basketball-2683189/

I think I remember shots of the "court".  Ridiculous.

The fallout this week:  3 teams contracted to play in the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Shootout, have withdrawn.  Those teams were signed by the organizers of the Vegas Invitational.  5 others signed through a different agency are still planning on going, and that agency has said they will not use Destination Basketball in the future, based on their horrific, utterly unacceptable management of the LVI.

That setup is worse than my high school gym...back in the early 70s.  

The organizers are going to have a very hard time lining up any more events in the future...but so is the Mirage.  This is terrible PR for them.  Vegas has several venues that regularly host basketball, including conference championship tournaments;  you can figure the Mirage probably won't be one any time soon.

Grinnell Basketball Took 111 Shots, All Three-Pointers, on Thursday

Grinnell College, a Division III school located in the small town of Grinnell, Iowa, took 111 shots, all of which were three-pointers, in Thursday’s 124–67 victory over Emmaus Bible. The 111 three-pointers were an NCAA record, while every single field goal attempt being a three-pointer is also believed to be an NCAA record...

On 12/6/2022 at 2:49 AM, death tribble said:

England beat Pakistan for the first time in 20 odd years in cricket.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63852484

Earlier in the thread you mentioned a "Ton" when a batsman scores 100 runs in an innings. I thought the term was "Century". Have things changed?

On 12/10/2022 at 5:40 AM, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I hope thiws doesn't become a habit. The three is difficult to defend, but possible with effort. Live by the three, die e by the three.

Grinnell is Division III.  It's not particularly noticed, it doesn't draw big names.  VERY, VERY few D III players will make it even to the G League, or a major European league.  Even if D II, you see some...not exactly disciplined play, by design.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Troy_State_vs._DeVry_men's_basketball_game#:~:text=On January 12%2C 1992%2C Troy,have established several unbreakable records.

Much less D III.  And this isn't new with Grinnell.  From ESPN's story about this game:

For years they've used a unique offensive system based on the ideas of Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount in the 1980s and fine-tuned by David Arsenault at Grinnell, which is about halfway between Des Moines and Iowa City. The philosophy is predicated on quick shots, prioritizing 3-pointers, constant full-court pressure and crashing the offensive glass.

In 2012, Grinnell guard Jack Taylor sent an NCAA record with 138 points in a game. He also scored 109 points in a game the following year, while former players Griffin Lentsch and Jeff Clement also held Division III scoring records.

I remember seeing highlights from that game...and definitely remember Westhead's LMU.  They blew the doors off a very good NMSU team in the tournament...after NMSU pulled off probably its biggest win EVER, beating UNLV, the Augmon/Johnson/Anthony team that won the tournament.  And LMU gave UNLV a good fight...lost by 30, but against that UNLV team at that point, that's a good fight...in the Elite Eight.  Oh, and yes, lest you forgot, that was the Hank Gathers team.  Fast, faster, fastest...except for UNLV which was even more athletic.

I'll grant you might not see another game with 100+ 3's and *no* 2 pointers any time soon, but the basic style?  Works pretty well for Grinnell.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:30 PM, unclevlad said:

Grinnell is Division III.  It's not particularly noticed, it doesn't draw big names.  VERY, VERY few D III players will make it even to the G League, or a major European league.  Even if D II, you see some...not exactly disciplined play, by design.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Troy_State_vs._DeVry_men's_basketball_game#:~:text=On January 12%2C 1992%2C Troy,have established several unbreakable records.

Much less D III.  And this isn't new with Grinnell.  From ESPN's story about this game:

I remember seeing highlights from that game...and definitely remember Westhead's LMU.  They blew the doors off a very good NMSU team in the tournament...after NMSU pulled off probably its biggest win EVER, beating UNLV, the Augmon/Johnson/Anthony team that won the tournament.  And LMU gave UNLV a good fight...lost by 30, but against that UNLV team at that point, that's a good fight...in the Elite Eight.  Oh, and yes, lest you forgot, that was the Hank Gathers team.  Fast, faster, fastest...except for UNLV which was even more athletic.

I'll grant you might not see another game with 100+ 3's and *no* 2 pointers any time soon, but the basic style?  Works pretty well for Grinnell.

I don't think it would work at any higher level. I still remember the season when the Nuggets attempted a system like that based on getting breakaways in every possession and shooting within 10 seconds. NBA defenses quickly put a stop to that, and the coach was let go as he insisted on his new system despite that it was running his players into the ground

At higher levels, a plan like that might work for a game or two, before the intense research of Division I coaching staffs catalog every weakness. Then you get picked apart into ridiculously small pieces.

Oh, it worked at Div I, for a very short period of time:  Paul Westhead's Loyola Marymount.  It wasn't all 3's, all the time, but it was run n' gun, play fast, play hard.  But that team also had Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers.

The problem at the pro level is, I think, the schedule.  You can't keep that up over the VERY long NBA season.  At the D1 level, the problem is that the other teams adjust to your pace and pressure.  We had this down here.  Under Neil McCarthy, the Aggies played a full-on pressing, switching defense.  It worked in December and January...but come February and March?  The Aggies lost a bit, the other teams were crisper and sharper, and that amoeba defense was less effective.  Against all 3's, all the time, the first issue is rebounding.  Those Scottie Pippen-esque, 6'7 wing players who can play against that speed on the perimeter...almost never play D3, they play D1, and if they can shoot, Power 5.  (The Aggies got a bunch of em over the years that couldn't shoot very well.)  Players like that can also hassle the 3 point line, and force a lower shooting percentage...all the while getting every rebound on both ends of the court.

Helen Mead one of the players in the Women's England Football team wins Sports Personality of the Year. The Women's England Football team won the team award.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/64045751

This is well deserved as the Women have done something the Men's team has not done in decades, win a tournament.