Babylon 5

Greywind

On 9/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, archer said:

It gave a sense of "old world" charm mixed with comic opera which the actors for Londo and Vir pulled off flawlessly.

--snip--

On 9/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, archer said:

I also really liked the physical appearance of the Narn's head and eyes. I don't know how expensive or uncomfortable that was for the actors but it looked like believable skin.

I really REALLY hope they can keep the feel and look of both.   New film/TV technologies should allow them to greatly improve what we see on screen.  But I really hope that we will get a wider view of the Centari and Narn. 

I also really look forward to their ships.  The CGI they used was cutting edge a visually incredible when it came out.  But compared to what you can see now it can almost be painful to watch. 

I can't wait to see fleet battles with modern effects. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:37 AM, unclevlad said:

And they've got 74 million subscribers in the US and Canada. 

But Netflix is running into issues with flattening.  Which is why they started framing everything from a subscription angle instead of income angle. 

Their US subscriber base is falling and they are padding their numbers by saying that the total number of subscribers is up, which is true but misleading.  A US subscription is $14 (or is it $15 now) but the same level of subscription in India is 75 cents.   A million US subscriptions is $14 million.  A million in India is $750,000.

I have been getting ready to cancel mine because of Bollywood.  I hate musicals of any kind and Bollywood is nothing but. 

And for some reason even though I don't watch them my feed has been over run with Bollywood.   Everything I login that idiotic auto play trailer feature starts banging out that hideous musical crap. 

It sets my teeth on edge and the new releases seem to be all Bollywood. 

Ack! :shock:

4 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I'm hoping for the best, but dreading that we'll get THIS instead...

:rofl:

Matt I hate you.  I just snorted my soda.....

• 4 months later...

I just heard that because of the sale of the CW network that the B5 reboot has been removed from the list of shows that will be coming out this year.  It is however on the list for shows to potentially be done in 2023, but this will be up to whoever buys the network.  You can go to JMS’s patreon page for his statement.

I think the DC stuff probably will;  they dominate the CW's ratings among current-run shows.  I'm concerned that B5 won't;  it feels likely that there will be belt tightening at least at first, and I believe the story was that B5 was gonna be up there, in budget.  CW's never made money.

Question is...who'll pick it up?  NBC has Peacock, USA, NBCSN, and Olympic Channel.  I'm not sure the last 2 are exactly cash cows;  do they want another money pit?  CBS has a ton of properties already;  I could actually see anti-trust concerns there.  Disney's moves tell me, they don't believe in cable/satellite...they see streaming as the future.  So the CW doesn't seem to fit.

So...it'd be nice, but I'm concerned it won't pan out in the end.

35 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I think the DC stuff probably will;  they dominate the CW's ratings among current-run shows.  I'm concerned that B5 won't;  it feels likely that there will be belt tightening at least at first, and I believe the story was that B5 was gonna be up there, in budget.  CW's never made money.

Question is...who'll pick it up?  NBC has Peacock, USA, NBCSN, and Olympic Channel.  I'm not sure the last 2 are exactly cash cows;  do they want another money pit?  CBS has a ton of properties already;  I could actually see anti-trust concerns there.  Disney's moves tell me, they don't believe in cable/satellite...they see streaming as the future.  So the CW doesn't seem to fit.

So...it'd be nice, but I'm concerned it won't pan out in the end.

Telemundo could pick it up and turn Babylon 5 into a daytime Spanish soap opera.

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanovna. Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Also, she's the one in my sig line.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanovna. Commander. Daughter of Andre and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I am death incarnate, and the last living thing you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Also, she's the one in my sig line.

yeah, I don’t see anyone’s sig. even my own. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Still alive, for now...

CW Pushes Babylon 5 Reboot to 2023

The medal is for keeping the thread alive.  I’ve said before that I would love to see a good version of B5, but I don’t think the CW is the place for that to happen.  At least with the kind of demographics they’re aiming towards now...Will that change with new ownership?  Will it be better or worse?  All unknowns at this time.  If you told me the series was going to be on NetFlicks or some service with a rep of doing quality stuff I’d be overjoyed. But for now I’ll remain cautious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, Tjack said:

The medal is for keeping the thread alive.  I’ve said before that I would love to see a good version of B5, but I don’t think the CW is the place for that to happen.  At least with the kind of demographics they’re aiming towards now...Will that change with new ownership?  Will it be better or worse?  All unknowns at this time.  If you told me the series was going to be on NetFlicks or some service with a rep of doing quality stuff I’d be overjoyed. But for now I’ll remain cautious.

Some friends and I have been talking about this and scouring the internet for news.  We have found some interesting articles about CWs ongoing financial and audience losses.

We are of agreement with some of the internet pundits that the CW owners group realizes that the network has lost viability and needs to change direction and content but the are trapped by existing contractual obligations to show runners and various "creative" teams. 

"Selling" the network allows for the new ownership to get rid of the problematic ones.

It could be what is needed to fix them.

• 1 year later...

Ehhhh....I really dislike time travel, and multiple timelines isn't a favorite either.  Going animated makes sense for this.  Probably a good idea connect to the original fans with the original cast, as best one can...and they'd all be obviously MUCH older.  If you wanna play with timelines...makeup is less flexible.

Claudia Christian returning...hey, that fight was over 20 years ago.  

• 1 month later...

Wellll...

YMMV and that's all good, but.....

Not a snowball's chance in a Canadian forest fire.

Dimension hopping is an AWFUL premise, far as I'm concerned.  It means nothing is real, nothing matters...the whole universe can implode, but as long as the hopper moves on, who cares?  There's ZERO tension...and therefore, zero interest to me.

Doesn't help that it looks like very cheap animation, but I suppose that could be assumed.