Have you ever at a Con...

dsatow

Have you ever at a Con...  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever at a Con had a character ...

• Rejected for game as being too powerful? "Its a 20d6 game, you can do 40d6. Do you understand math?"
    • Rejected for a game as being too weak? "OK, this poor character can only die. This one too. Oh, this one will only be bleeding to death on a hit."
    • Given a bad nickname because of bad luck? "Miss A Lott - it your turn, see if you can roll 15 or below."
    • Given a bad nickname because of bad art? "We'll call the hero Splotch, because that's what the artwork looks like."
    • Given a rip off nick name? "Ok Batman, your turn." "No, I am the Shadow Knight." "Like I said, Batman, your turn."
    • Rejected for having a too complicated character sheet? "OK, I have a math degree but I still don't understand how this all ties together..."
    • Other (please note in comments)

Just a fun convention poll for Champions players...  Any amusing tales would be welcomed too.  I have seen at least all of these occurrences over 20 years of Cons, though most of the insulting ones were silly insults as a brief comment and not over the whole session.

I saw but did not have happen to me #2.  Most of my under powered characters simply got a boost on CV by one or two  and maybe a DC increase by one or two to enter a game.  The one player was trying to bring in characters designed for an 8DC game where as the game was set to about 24DC.  The bleeding to death character was the guy's brick.

Please note this is a MULTIPLE choice poll and if you post other, please elaborate.

I used to be on staff at the biggest SF convention in the region so I never had a lot of time on the floor.  The one time I carved out enough time to play a game it was an X-Men game with hand out characters.  I played Beast (the guy I wanted most) so there weren’t any of the problems on the list. 

It was always Pre-Gens at conventions. I was in the RPGA and so always into into events which could get me points particularly the International as I was not American. One year won a medal that I still have for being part of the team that won the International. To my great surprise and delight my name was read out and I collected the medal as I had gone along to see who won particular games. Along with many badges (buttons to the Atlantically challenged) I still have it.

Never played a con game that didn't use pre-gens. Also never played a Hero System con-game, but I was able to answer the questions in general. As mechanically dense as Hero can be, well, as many RPGs can be, I would generally recommend bringing Pre-Gens if you are planning to run a game. (Especially with as broken as some Hero builds can be.) By using Pre-Gens, you can create stronger links to the challenges the PCs will face and ensure that the characters work well as a group. Whether they do or not, is still up to the players of course. 

As someone who runs games for an indie game, Pre-Gens help me, it lowers the entry bar for new players, and because I know the characters I can help players jump into the action quickly, answering any questions along the way. Hero System being not that one game, the same logic probably still applies.  

Official games had pregens,  but I was there to play regardless, so I would sit down at Champions games in the open gaming room. I would quiz the GM about point totals, attacks and the like. Nine times out of ten, I would pull my favorite Champions character out, and proceed to school folks about tactical excellence.  Local and Gencon GMs became familiar with Sgt. S. M. A. S. H.  I have a thick character binder, so if the experienced Sergeant was too powerful, I had plenty of other characters, plus early build of him down to 241 points. 

We also had continuing Convention games, with characters made specifically for them, like Mark Arsenault’s Cop Show game, or Carl Rigney’s half convention/ half play by mail epic. I went to cons to play.  

Only scheduled Champions game I ever played at a con had pregens.  That one didn't go real well...in part because the players weren't that comfortable with the system.  

The only time I can ever recall BYOC, that I played, were the Living campaigns, and that was D&D, and prior to 3E mostly.  Options were much more limited.  But even those dragged at times...especially with brand new characters.

I played BYOB (Bring Your Own Brick) run by Dave Mattingly at GenCon a number of years ago.  We were told to bring 2 characters, and he would choose which one you played.  Was great fun.  But I couldn't vote here, because my character didn't get rejected or nicknamed.  And None doesn't work as a valid option.