Portable closet (bag of holding like)

Colossus

What is the best way for a character in Champions to build a portable closet.  Basically a ring which projects a door on any surface and contains a small closet sized space to contain a costume and equipment.  Non-magical character with a wizard contact who created it for them.

Extra-Dimensional Movement built in a IIF and a really small Base built in a different dimension is one way, but that seems a lot of points for this.

Alternatively a very limited Megascale Teleportation usable only on others and usable only on my equipment could be more economical 

It should cost something as the character uses armor and weapons and the ability to summon all those focuses should not be free

Instant Change from older editions would work I guess, debut this is not really a shape change.

Just use Wizards Sack from Fantasy Hero (5thR & 6th) modified. 

I needed one more inline with a book I was using as a setting.  Just call it a ring instead of a sack and remove the "must fit through the mouth of the sack" limitation and you have a ring that can store anything you touch up to its internal volume. 

No need to overthink.

14 hours ago, Colossus said:

What is the best way for a character in Champions to build a portable closet.  Basically a ring which projects a door on any surface and contains a small closet sized space to contain a costume and equipment.  Non-magical character with a wizard contact who created it for them.

Extra-Dimensional Movement built in a IIF and a really small Base built in a different dimension is one way, but that seems a lot of points for this.

Alternatively a very limited Megascale Teleportation usable only on others and usable only on my equipment could be more economical 

It should cost something as the character uses armor and weapons and the ability to summon all those focuses should not be free

Instant Change from older editions would work I guess, debut this is not really a shape change.

The first question should be what do you want that power to do. The ability to summon armor and focuses is just the limitation OIAID(Only in Alternate ID) instead of focus. It can also be a special effect for a Multipower that includes different guns. So each multipower change is just the character switching weapons in the extra dimensional space. If you want to change your clothes (ie Instant Change) that is a 1d6 Transform, Cosmetic, standard effect. (6e1 has it as an example under the Transform power IIRC).

So this is Weapon Switching (aka Multipower) with OIAID on each slot, and a pool limitation of IIF or a common OIAID on everything.

If there is more equipment than just the weapons that you wish to change, then you can go with a Variable Power Pool for weapons and equipment.

Clothing is the Transform/Instant change ability.

Don't start with something like "Extra dimensional closet"  You have to start by writing out what you want the power to do. ie I want a space where I can grab outfits, weapons, from thin air. Then you reason from THERE.

37 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

apg2.png.2fa01a14d03ee63f346fe394adbcf48f.png

That seems like a lot of points for what is essentially a character quirk, especially for a starting character.   If it were me I might put on the limitation “GM control” indicating that there was some secret something hiding in my closet I didn’t know about at first. 
   That gives you a few more points to work with and a possible plot hook for the GM so that he doesn’t give you any grief about having it.

If all your character wants to do is change clothing, then the Instant Change power in Champions Complete page 210 will work. Extradimensinal Space (Advance Player's Guide 2 pages 27-28) is useful for stowing away stuff. Object Creation (APG2 pages 32-34) is perfect to pull out harmless objects out of nowhere. Anything else can be either a Multipower with OIAID or a Variable Power Pool of some kind.

This is a complicated special effect. It has to be put in stone before the player abuses it. Still, someone with a bottomless hole of extradimenitnal space can be an extremely powerful being.

5 hours ago, Tjack said:

That seems like a lot of points for what is essentially a character quirk, especially for a starting character. 

Remember that's base points though. 10-15pt base will get you a closet, then add in iif or anything else.

9 minutes ago, assault said:

This is the Champions forum though. It's not clear what would actually be put in it.

"What is the best way for a character in Champions to build a portable closet.  Basically a ring which projects a door on any surface and contains a small closet sized space to contain a costume and equipment."

All of which is stuff the character has already paid points for, aside from the costume 

This thread looks a bit like a tutorial on "how not to build Champions characters "

If it restricts the character's access to their gear, it could actually save the character points. (The ring acting as a focus )

Otherwise, the character is spending points on a special effect.

See Tasha's answer for more details.

Alternatively, just spend a couple of points on having a tiny base with no features, the use of which being just as a closet, then an Extradimensional Movement power with all of the disadvantages you mentioned. Put it in a ring (a Focus) and allow only a person wearing the ring, plus belongings, into that closet space (so the ringbearer cannot use it as a safe place to let the rest of the team hide when they want to, etc).

10 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I see something this convenient and useful as more than a special effect.

IMHO the OP really didn't describe what he wanted to DO with the power.

Like I said above, I think people are overthinking this. Reasoning from ability description and not from functionality AKA from what the ability does, not how it works/looks.

That closet can be sheer special effect to many abilities. ie Multipower could have that as a Special effect. It would be good as a special effect for a VPP. In fact in someways it seems like the player is looking for a VPP if the character has a wide variety of gadgets.

Basically the Unlimited Closet is a special effect.  There is no set in stone "Unlimited Closet" power. This is a special effect.  Ask yourself what you want it to DO. Once you figure that out, then build what you are planning to do with it.

Note: if this is a character your building, note that you won't be able to do everything with it from day one. Save up those points, add slots to your Multipower over time, keep on finding new uses for your powers. This is something eventually all superheroes in comics do...find new ways of doing things either using their powers or abilities because a new writer thinks up something. In the game, you and the GM are the writer/editor of the comic.

OK here's an example of why this matters more than a special effect, in my opinion.

The basic concept is this: a place that you can store things remotely and retrieve them immediately.  Whatever form this takes and whatever concept you have behind it, that's the core of the concept.  I put stuff in it, its gone.  I reach in and pull it out, I have it.

I have a spell in my fantasy hero campaign that does this very thing, called "Closet."  Its not very expensive, but its a useful utility thing.

I had clever player named Kieth who made a faerie character: tiny, weak, but could fly and highly magical.  Well that little impish bugger went around collecting every heavy thing that he could find and would fly over the battlefield pulling anvils and boulders out of the closet to drop on targets.  It was... highly effective.

Or consider this.  You're captured, you're throw in a dark dungeon in the depths of Castle Bland.  The jailer makes his last parting mockery and walks away.  You open up your closet and pull out everything you need to escape and even heal yourself, including backup equipment.

Its magical luggage, its more than just "that's a neat idea" like this makes an object glow slightly blue, it has genuine tangible in-game effect beyond convenience.

There is no set in stone "Unlimited Closet" power. 

No, but the APG2 power Dimensional Space covers it perfectly and elegantly.