I hate this day.

unclevlad

52 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I turned sixty-two Sunday, and spent a lot of time ceyong on the inside-- not about being old; He'll, I love that!  I have reached that point where I if I dont feel like goinf inside, I can just pee ofd the front porch and people oretend it didn't happen (just ignore the crazy old man; he cant help it...).

Unfortunately, I have rwached the age where I cant make it inside, and have to pee off the front porch.   :lol:

The great thing is that at two hours a year, I have saved exactly one-hundred and twenty four hours of daylight!  If I withdraw them from my daylight savibgs account judiciously, figuing twelve daylight, twelve dark, twelve daylight, etc- I have nearly eleven extra days!

(That....  That _is_ how this works, right?  There _is_ daylight actually being saved, right?  We can cash it in on something useful, right?   Right?!)

But no; that is not what upset me.

Nah.   What got me was spending the day working toward this:

You dont get it.  Just yesterday she was too feet tall, and squealing with delight when she ran up to hug my leg when I came home from work.

Growing old isnt bad.  Youve been practicong for it your whole life.   But you just arent ever foinf to be prepared for how lonely the last part gets.

No grandchildren yet? If not, you have much to look forward to. Visits when they're little, all the hugs you could want, but when you've had enough of them you get to send them home with their parents. 😁

54 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I turned sixty-two Sunday, and spent a lot of time ceyong on the inside-- not about being old; He'll, I love that!  I have reached that point where I if I dont feel like goinf inside, I can just pee ofd the front porch and people oretend it didn't happen (just ignore the crazy old man; he cant help it...).

Unfortunately, I have rwached the age where I cant make it inside, and have to pee off the front porch.   :lol:

The great thing is that at two hours a year, I have saved exactly one-hundred and twenty four hours of daylight!  If I withdraw them from my daylight savibgs account judiciously, figuing twelve daylight, twelve dark, twelve daylight, etc- I have nearly eleven extra days!

(That....  That _is_ how this works, right?  There _is_ daylight actually being saved, right?  We can cash it in on something useful, right?   Right?!)

But no; that is not what upset me.

Nah.   What got me was spending the day working toward this:

You dont get it.  Just yesterday she was too feet tall, and squealing with delight when she ran up to hug my leg when I came home from work.

Growing old isnt bad.  Youve been practicong for it your whole life.   But you just arent ever foinf to be prepared for how lonely the last part gets.

Riding lesson means Horses !

No horse, no riding lesson !

Bad Duke Bushido !

No biscuit !

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Riding lesson means Horses !

No horse, no riding lesson !

Bad Duke Bushido !

No biscuit !

Thank you!

i tokd myself nearly 59 years ago that if I ever got off the farm and out of Circle, Alaska, I woukd _never_ eat another biscuit.  (You have to understand that in a bad year, you might go six ir wight weeks in the winter where every meal was biscuits and some kind of warm grease.  Gets real old, real fast).

To this _day_, I have kept that promise.

And bicycles must be quite the logistical nightmare in England.  I mean, you have to squeeze a hirse in there somewhere....

Or trains.   Enter the train, select a horse, ride to work...

On 3/15/2022 at 3:49 PM, Lord Liaden said:

No grandchildren yet?

My oldest is 16, and this isn't feudal England.  ;)

Remember that my first wife and I had twins, who we lost to two separate drunk drivers: Moria on the stoop of her dance studio, and Moriah (their mother's idea, but I allowed it) on the way to the funeral.

I Siobhan a few weeks after that.

It was a very, very long time before I was remotely interested in another woman.  I didn't marry K until I was 42, and for her own reasons, she decided we would not have kids until we had been married three years.  (I think she wanted to be the first woman in her family whose baby wasn't six months 'premature' and yet remarkably healthy.....  ;) )

So no.

No grandkids.  Given the heart trouble and my daughter proudly following in her uncle D's tradition of being-  and I quote- "queer as a football bat,"  my heart and health, etc-  well, my son may one day have kids, but I dont expect I will ever see them.  (Not maudlin; just realistic)

59 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thank you!

i tokd myself nearly 59 years ago that if I ever got off the farm and out of Circle, Alaska, I woukd _never_ eat another biscuit.  (You have to understand that in a bad year, you might go six ir wight weeks in the winter where every meal was biscuits and some kind of warm grease.  Gets real old, real fast).

To this _day_, I have kept that promise.

And bicycles must be quite the logistical nightmare in England.  I mean, you have to squeeze a hirse in there somewhere....

Or trains.   Enter the train, select a horse, ride to work...

For biscuit read cookies.

10 minutes ago, archer said:

The US Senate just passed a bill to make Daylight Savings Time permanent year-round.

Such bills have been proposed in the past but never got anywhere. But apparently, this one passed unanimously.

Very weird.

They must be reading our forums! ::jawdrop:

30 minutes ago, archer said:

The US Senate just passed a bill to make Daylight Savings Time permanent year-round.

Such bills have been proposed in the past but never got anywhere. But apparently, this one passed unanimously.

Very weird.

Well if you can't pass something substantive, this is what you pass.

Mind, I'm happy enough if it does pass.  I'd scheduled a dental appointment for yesterday morning...and I was a mess.  Could barely crawl out of bed...sleep cycle is just OFF.  Dental tech, and the receptionist, both said the same...couldn't sleep.  Still messed up today.  

One thing that will be interesting is if Arizona remains on standard time all year.

5 hours ago, archer said:

Judging from the video, you have a magnificent life.

Thanks, but it is not mine.

I have magnificent friends.  As I mentioned in a different thread, I prefee thw compqny of decent human beings.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

For biscuit read cookies.

9h 6eah!

Fortune cookies are awesome!

Unless it is thise citrus-y ones.  They are just "meh"

• 2 weeks later...

While today isn’t too bad, tomorrow is going to suck rocks.  I have to go in for my bi-annual lung capacity tests.  This is where a sadist in a smock walks me around an indoor track monitoring my blood oxygen levels until I want to pass out.  Then they take you into a room with a little booth and a face mask and see how you do at different levels of air.

The last one showed me at at only 48% lung capacity and it’s expected this one will show it’s even lower now.   Does anyone want to start a pool to guess the new number?

I may have to make plans to return to my home world.  This one bites.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

While today isn’t too bad, tomorrow is going to suck rocks.  I have to go in for my bi-annual lung capacity tests.  This is where a sadist in a smock walks me around an indoor track monitoring my blood oxygen levels until I want to pass out.  Then they take you into a room with a little booth and a face mask and see how you do at different levels of air.

The last one showed me at at only 48% lung capacity and it’s expected this one will show it’s even lower now.   Does anyone want to start a pool to guess the new number?

I may have to make plans to return to my home world.  This one bites.

I'll be optimistic and say 47.99%.

If it's any comfort when my wife was around 47 years old, she did such testing and was told that she had the lungs of someone who was in her late 80's. She's never smoked or done anything which would have deliberately been destructive of her lungs.

Anyway, she's still alive. Hasn't been able to work in years but she has hobbies which keep her busy. For example, she's learned to paint. 

That post may have sounded like “poor pitiful me” but I’m alive when experts thought I’d be well into my next reincarnation by now.   John Wayne only had one lung, and just like my hero the Duke I’m gonna tell Death to F-off until I’m good and ready.  If all else fails I’m gonna grow gills and breathe like a fish.
   This is only about how much these tests suck and how someday I’ll have my swift and righteous revenge on those who conspire against me.  Mine enemies should start quaking in their boots and wetting themselves now and avoid the rush.

All right....everybody hold on to your tickets till the official paperwork from the Doctor comes in but I badgered the technician into a ballpark answer and he said it was going to be 35% give or take a few.

It looks like everyone over guessed so no prizes will be forthcoming.