2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

There's been some chatter that the Chargers might let Staley go.  I'm not sure exactly why--the team did underperform all season with injuries to the WRs, but they still made the playoffs. But people just don't seem to like him.

Anyway if that does happen, the Chargers are thought to be a highly valued HC gig due to their young but established quarterback and an overall favorable cap/draft pick situation.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I'm thinking Payton will end up in LA or Arizona. Although I can't imagine the Rams having a lot of draft capital to trade to the Saints for his services. 

Rams have less than the Broncos, I believe, and more holes.  Which also means the rebuilding issue is probably worse.  It's a mild surprise, and to many a great disappointment, that McDaniels hasn't been fired yet.

Elsewhere...Damar Hamlin was released from the ICU, and has returned home to Buffalo.  If at all possible, then, I wouldn't be surprised if he and his parents are at the game Sunday, likely in the owner's box.  

Tua's ruled out for the game against the Bills.  Doctors haven't cleared him yet;  HC Mike McDaniel said that, and the fact that he hasn't played, led to the call.  And for his sake, I'm glad.  

Lamar Jackson hasn't been...but as Adam Schein noted on his show, it's unlikely he'll help even if he plays.  Not practicing, not playing in the last 5 weeks?  OK, fine, he'll maybe make some plays, but ya gotta bet he'll have a couple disastrous ones too.

Damar Hamlin is out of the hospital altogether now!!  Doctors say he can continue his rehab at home.  From ESPN:

Dr. Jamie Nadler, critical care physician and chief quality officer at Kaleida Health, which runs Buffalo General, and the care team lead for Hamlin, said in a statement: "We have completed a series of tests and evaluations, and in consultation with the team physicians, we are confident that Damar can be safely discharged to continue his rehabilitation at home and with the Bills."

There is no statement about how long the rehab will take, or what long-term measures might be involved.  

EDIT:  not sure if the lines have changed, but Bills are -13 vs. Fins, with Tua out and a, what, 4th stringer starting.  With Jackson still not practicing, Bengals are -8.5.  This one's trickier to me, in that they just played last week.

The Athletic's comments about this round, by day:

Saturday:  compelling.  

Sunday:  BORING!!!  (Ravens and Dolphins have obvious, huge problems;  the Giants have been unconvincing recently, in their opinion)

Monday:  groaner...the Cowboys do play down to their competition a fair bit.  

Gonna be another chili weekend for me anyway.  Gets all the prep work done well in advance, just scoop out another bowl when I want, as I watch...remember, Sunday's the standard 3 slots, but Saturday is late slot and night game.

Tonight is our big game. I'm not sure what to expect. The Jags humiliated the Chargers early on this season, but then we went on a losing streak. Including trading away that RB. 

We're better now, but so are the Chargers.

LA is a 2.5 favorite. 

This is Trevor's first NFL playoff game. He's a college national champion; Herbert's a PAC 12 champion.  

TIL They're both 6'6". 

Pretty evenly matched. Should be an exciting game. 

GO JAGS!

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Not usually a fan of Joe Mixon, but he's right on the money (so to speak) in this case.

Bengals' Joe Mixon challenges Roger Goodell to coin flip to determine who should pay his Week 18 fine

I get it, but exercising judgement is something the NFL does even worse than it does most things.  Some props should be considered out of bounds...therefore, given their inability to judge "reasonable"...ALL props must be out of bounds.