NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching some of the games this weekend (Philly comes to mind, but there are others) I think most QBs wish list would include receivers who the ball hits in their hands that can actually catch the ball. I know their offense didnt look great, but Hurts went out of his way in off season to improve his passing and I can think of multiple times in that game that if the receiver/tightend/RB would have just caught the ball that hit them in the hands instead of thinking about what they were going to do after catching it, I think the game would have been closer. Even Kelce, considered one of the top receiving tight ends in football, seems to have developed dropitis.

5 minutes ago, slikmar said:

After watching some of the games this weekend (Philly comes to mind, but there are others) I think most QBs wish list would include receivers who the ball hits in their hands that can actually catch the ball. I know their offense didnt look great, but Hurts went out of his way in off season to improve his passing and I can think of multiple times in that game that if the receiver/tightend/RB would have just caught the ball that hit them in the hands instead of thinking about what they were going to do after catching it, I think the game would have been closer. Even Kelce, considered one of the top receiving tight ends in football, seems to have developed dropitis.

Both teams had the dropsies in that game.  I think the Bucs had half a dozen drops just in the first half.  It was a frustrating game to watch.

picks, most confident to least confident...

Lions over Bucs.

Niners over Packers

Ravens over Texans.  I'm still not totally sold on Lamar Jackson.

Chiefs over Bills.

I'm always a bit worried about teams that sat out, at this point...point to the Lions.  And the Bucs...the Eagles are no measuring stick now.  The first 3 games could all turn into blowouts.  Chiefs-Bills...who avoids critical mistakes?  Weather forecast is not great...mid teens, but 15-20 mph winds...but could be a WHOLE lot worse.

Picks in order of descending confidence:

Ravens over Texans. Anyone who says otherwise hasn’t seen the Ravens play. 
Neeners over Packers

Lions over Bucs, but only if they play like they want it

Erratic Bills over lackluster Chiefs. I want to believe

One Seattle fan's perspective on Pete Carroll's sojourn with the Seahawks

I disagree with one subtitle ("The greatest tenure in Seattle sports history") ... the writer is a product of his generation, and too mainstream to have any awareness of soccer, so he omits Lenny Wilkens' Sonics and Don James' Huskies and the brilliant Clint Dempsey/Obafemi Martins Sounders years, but due to his callow youth I'll forgive him.  He does convey the seething underlying rage of all fans here in South Alaska at how the city, its teams, and its fans are invariably dismissed by media in the rest of the country, a burning anger that makes us watch the gif of Kam Chancellor annihilating Vernon Davis raptly, wishing only that a couple of vital organs had gone bouncing away along with the football.   Lots of gifs (several from SB XLVIII, beware).

Good news!  Cowboys decide to stick with McCarthy.  Now we know we won't have to listen to the hype for long, come next season's playoffs.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they actually have some bad luck with injuries and such...and don't even make the playoffs.  They have 9 Pro Bowlers this year.  They'll have a division winner's schedule, which is a bit tougher.  They get AFC North...physical games, if nothing else, plus the Lions and Niners. 

22 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Unless it gets stuck at 23:59:60 the night there's a leap second insertion. 

I said dial...so...analog.  See, that's why you don't want them new-fangled digital thingies.

(Apparently a substantial portion of school-age kids can't even read an analog clock...<sigh>.)

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

It’s true, I have two of them. You can also forget about reading and writing cursive. 

school age kids or analog clocks? and if the 2 clocks are set to different times and stuck, do they get to combine the number of times their right?

mmm...not looking good for Houston.  I have a hard time thinking they'll get a lot better on offense, so down 7 now...even mid 2nd...they needed the lead, IMO.  Ravens will score some more...maybe not a lot, but enough to keep it out of fluke-play territory.

ESPN bottom line says Mike McCarthy isn't getting an extension, so he'll be coaching on an expiring contract.  

So...what, conference championship game or bust, right?  And definitely #1 on the Hot Seat Parade, albeit not necessarily for the regular season...

Cue conspiracy theorist nutjobs complaining on social media about how the NFL scripted San Francisco's comeback win in three ... two ... one ...

I feel like Niners - Packers could become a great rivalry in the coming years, something like Chiefs - Bills in the AFC.