What's the most unusual (for you) character you have ever played?

Enforcer84

I know that we HEROphiles are a pretty creative group but even we get stuck in a rut. My weakness is bricks, always play bricks except this one time...

anyway what is or are the most out of character for you heroes you've ever played.

Mine? Female mentalist/cosmic being. Later gave her a 40 str simply so I could deal with it. to begin with though she was 10 str mentalist. started her career as PSI Queen. A bit on the arrogant side.

I'm the same way Enforcer, always played some kind of Brick. Colossus ripoffs to my current Avatar; strong, hard to hurt, and headstrong.

So a few years ago we started a kid campaign, everyone make a teenager that is just learning their powers.

So I made I.Q. Teenage coffee addict and mental Illusionist.

16d6 Mental Illusions, 8d6 Mental Illusions AOE 4" any area

2pd/2ed 29 int and Ego, but like 8 str

I actually had to start thinking my way out of trouble, and I grew to love it. Damn shame about that brain tummor, now he is vegtable lad.

I normally hate Mentalists, but I came up with an unusual one: Freestyle. He is a rap star who has super charisma while he is speaking/rapping. He can convince you he is better than you in HTH combat and has some of my favorite power labels:

"Momma Said Knock You Out": HTH CSL, Incantations

"You Can't Touch This": DCV CSL, Incantations

"Hurts, Don't it?": HA, Incantations

A Telepathic Dolphin ("My goodness, humans SEEM almost intelligent..." )

A martial artist who had invisibility always on and desolidification powers named "Nobody"

A character with Energy Absorption that went to Duplication... Sure, it was similar to the Multiple Man from some mutant books, but it was still...weird.

White male, middle thirties. I don't even play one well in real life! ;)

I think my crazed sniper was him. I don't play "crazy" very often, not with PCs. We were in a WoD game made by a player, that preceded Hunter: The Reckoning. We were a hit squad of humans created to deal with the supernatural.

My guy was modeled on the relgiious sniper in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. At one point in the game, I suffer a mental defect resulting from being scared wittless by a Lupine. I make all the rolls I can in order to stay in control. We determine I can go "fighting mad". So I go after him with my Sniper rifle and when I do, he goes down by a coincidence (being attacked by other means). From that moment forward, his gun was "magical" to him. It talked to him. He called it "Betty" and talked to it whenever they were working together. Now that was fun.

Well, it was either

Triad: An energy being that was combined from two rival scientists and a chicken soup dispenser maintance worker. It had the ability to warp space and gravity. I would randomly roll to see what personality had control.

Explorer: A cross between Hitchhiker's Guide and Star trek. I basically was playing the entire Enterprise, but the ship was two inches long.

I ran for several years "Pepe'" the Skunk

Ok, not exactly a normal run of the mill skunk but a 230 lb

one. More Skunk crossed with Brown Bear.

Someones idea of a guard dog with built in "defense" gone bad.

Skunk juice - AOE Cone 3D6 NND continous Sticky.

He could also convince people he wasn't there (SEP feild - some elses problem) as well as other attacks that came later.

10D6 Mind control - mostly to get people to give him rides (to get places) and get him food.

18 Inteligence (Got around the can't speak disad with a oversized (walk on)keyboard and then a univeral translator (he sounded like Jamer Earl Jones)

Lots of fun, hell on agents

Remember the old Star Trek episode, where Kirk and the Klingons were running around the ship chasing each other with swords?

Well, they had an evil energy being that caused it all. (like we need excuses to fight...)

I once designed and played his counterpart...my goal was to create peacethroughout the universe.

I was desolid all the time, and could only communicate through yes or no responses (flash my lights). I could control large groups of people however, and make them be friends. "Promote fellowship and goodwill between men"

The funnest part was the GM let me do stuff inbetween scenarios...then announce what was going on in the game world at the next session.

Everyone kept wondering why these wars kept stopping...and then a few weeks later restarting. :)

And I once played the reanimated zombie of Stonewall Jackson. I was mighty upset about being awoken. Damn Yankees did it.

The strangest character I ever played, from a just plain strangeness angle was Meeb. An alien amoeba with Stretching, Clinging, Shapeshift, brick strength and D, and explosion (and later area effect) on his strength (he could use it out to full extension will all psuedopods).

For me...

I wander all over the character types spectrum, so I can't really say what kind of powersets would be odd for me, because I've done a little of everything. Personality wise thoug...I generally play goody two shoes Captain America/Superman kind of characters, most of my heroes have been upright citizens... all except for Alter Ego.

He was a teen cybertelepath. He could also manipulate any kind of eletronics (and we growing into Jeffries (Alpha Flight) level manipulation). The kid was a chain smoking, foul mouthed little twerp, who got found by the PC team getting an ATM to vent its money at him. Now he had reasons to be a little on edge he was hunted by both PSI and Genocide. He was probably the oddest character for me to play. It was also a blast bouncing off the rest of the group in ways I had never done before.

My most unusual character?

I'm normally a fan of angst-and-dark-secrets-type characters...check out the sig line for further clarification. But once, I ended up playing a paladin of a benevolent Death Goddess in a friend's game. My paladin's name was Merillion, and her goddess was Tory the Merciful, the Final Friend...a thoroughly _good_ goddess.

Merillion was a big brick (another departure for me), with a sunny disposition and a never-ending string of one-liners. "Well, Death _is_ nature's way of telling you to slow down." She not only didn't mope, she didn't take herself very seriously at all; "Don't mind me, I'm just part of the funeral arrangements." She was friendly and open, didn't know the meaning of the word "angst"...and she didn't even _like_ black!

I think that a cheerful and irreverant paladin of death has to be the most unusual character _I've_ ever played.

Guest joen00b

I played a Mentalist that was assassinated... or at least his body was. A rival replaced a briefcase (that was supposed to be full of cash) with an exact duplicate with a bomb in it (20d6 Explosive KA, Penetrating, the works... made a mess of our base). Well, the speedster in the group had super heightened reflexes and senses, and one of the things I would do is keep in mental contact with the group. I was powerful enough with a disadvantage of paranoid, so why not?

Well, the speedster ripped the briefcase open, but his heightened reflexes and senses registered the bomb before it could explode, and the GM allowed him one phase to move before it exploded, the rest of us were FUBAR. His action was to do a move through on the Energy Caster of the group and hope for the best. The GM allowed me, since I was in mental contact and was moving at the speed of thought, to connect to another mind out of the blast radius. In doing so, the GM said that my mind melded with the individual and now there are two minds battling it out for control of the body.

The body was that of a 17 year old drug dealer with enough mental problems to make Cybil cringe in fear. I was a PHd Psychologist. Imagine Gollum/Smeagol, but not as moody and better grammar, and that's how I portrayed him. The worst part was having to go through school again, and I was going to have to make something of myself again (disadvantage: Perfectionist). It really made it tough to do all this stuff going through withdrawals and the other voice in my head always begging for drugs. The GM worked it out so when 'Eddie' was fighting for control, he would throw wadded up pieces of paper at me with what was going through my head with 'Eddie' in there. Eddie was also a devout coward but had one helluva a mouth on him. I also had to take a limitation of 14> to make my powers work because of him distracting me. Basically, I had to revamp, and with the new limitations and body, I was able to buy a few more mental powers, and I stopped wearing a costume to be incognito from then on.

I actually became very powerful by the end of the game, and had almost graduated from College... again.

In an old Star Hero game I played an alien symbiotic amoeba residing within the blood stream of another character. It had some powers Usable by Others (mostly phisical characteristics, immunities to poisons and diseases, a few enhanced senses) plus of course Desolidification only to reside within a willing host. It could telepathically speak to its host. It was based on a Space Master alien race.

In a weird comedic Champions one-shot (0 base points + as many Disads as you dare), I played a small mutant, sentient octopus with huge psionic powers. He was unable to survive out of water for more than 5 minutes and coudn't move on land anyway. He was carried around in a plastic bag full of water for lack of a better container.

So many wierdos:

1.) I played a sapient, huge, stationary computer who "liberated" one of Mechanon's backup bodies and used it as it's leg man to mingle with the outside world. He wore a full body costome that gave him added ablative armour thaty would reveal mechanon's features when damaged.

2.) It wasn't my design but I received a pregen at a convention game that was based on the girl in the Exorcist. Little girl features with a projectile vomiting attack and other supernatural powers.

3.) At another local con I made the Shroud who walked around with a sheet with eyeholes cut out as his costume, it had the photonegative image of the Shroud of Turin silkscreened onto it. The offensive abilities were based on stigmata.

4.) I also had a character called the Sodomite but it was too awful to dredge up from the landfill of my subconscious.

Not the HERO system, but...

I played a man with two powers. The first was the ability to project a single exact duplicate of himself anywhere he could see or clearly remember, and remain in mental contact with that projection. The second was to store objects small enough to be lifted in one hand into an extradimensional space "behind" his back, where they stayed unchanged until pulled out (so a cup of hot coffee wouldn't spill or get cold). This space was also available to the duplicate.

Unbeknownst to him, he wasn't actually doing either. He was breaking things down like a Star Trek Teleporter, saving their patterns and energy and recreating them elsewhere or elsewhen.

Had he realized this, he could reproduce the same object multiple times (using the energy from other objects), or even "project" himself mulitple times. He didn't even think of the duplicate as "real" but instead as a projection of himself (so he wasn't worried if it might die--though that never came up).

Basically, he stayed at home and telecommuted to work, and viewed "superheroing" as a simultaneous vacation. He packed all sorts of stuff into the "space" behind his back and would use the telepathy to get new supplies. If we needed a blowtorch, he would run out and buy one, put it "behind his back" and the duplicate would then grab it.

Also conveniently, since the duplicate was "recreated" each time it was projected, he could get a tattoo, shave his head, whatever, and revert to his original appearance when needed.

My favorite part of this character was his refusal to consider any part of this heroic, or to behave like a "superhero". His duplicate (since he wasn't aware that they were both fully real people) was simply something to play around with whenever he didn't need both bodies to do work with. He was always sort of neat and slightly unprepared, since he stored virtually everything he would ever need behind his back.

I've been gaming for a looooooong time, but better than 90% of the time I GM instead of playing, so most of my 'weird' characters have come from things I played at conventions.

I have played a spell in the mind of a mage that was dying. The entire module took place in the few fractions of a second between when the death blow was struck and when he died. I was playing a Magic Missile spell. I don't remember his name, but I do recall he had a French accent.

I have played in a game where each other player played the sort of 'incarnation' of one of the Seven Deadly Sins in the mind of a rather wacked-out teenage boy. Lucky me, I was the eighth player and got to play the Conscience. It was a blast, though! :)

I have played a magically animated origami crane who, along with five other animated origami figures, went on a quest to save the dying monk who had made him. We were still our origianal sizes (about 2") and still made of paper. Fun stuff!

I play a human/tiger shapechanger in a very primitive tribal setting. Since he's a tiger, everyone expects him to be a great warrior. Surprise! His strengh and dexterity are so sub-standard that he's easier to hit than an unarmored person! He's got a great force of will and presence, though. His main form of 'attack' is intimidation/presence, getting others to back down. Sort of Ghandi as a tiger, but with a bit of 'attitude' when the situation calls for it.

I'll probably think of more later...

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Marchwarden

John Barleycorn.

An actual stalk of barley, in an armoured pot.

Radiation accident had given him superintelligence and mental powers. Plus, if "killed" you could just replant him.

Okay, this beats 'Echo' hollow.

Wow... a character with the same general idea but weirder.

(shudders)

Still, what else would I expect from the creator of the superhero from, er.... New Zealand, yeah, that's it.