Comic-Book Offspring

Supreme

The "A Time Portal Opens" thread got me thinking. See, I've read almost nothing about the Champions stock-background. I always supply my own based upon the comics. So, I was thinking about comics-based offspring and what they might be like. They do stories like this in Elseworlds and various Marvel "alternities" from time to time. So, we can treat this like a "make your own Amalgam" thread. Let's entertain character concepts based upon the idea that they are the offspring, or descendants of published super-heroes.

I'll start:

"The Super-Kids"

Okay, a bad name. But the idea is simple. Three kids. Each is the child of Clark and Lois. Each possesses one portion of Superman's powers. The first, who wears a blue "S," has all of his strength and invulnerability. The second, who wears a gold "S," has his flight and all of his speed. The third, who wears a red "S," possesses all the rest: heat-vision, X-Ray vision, super-hearing, etc. Could use some names, though.

My Exiles Campaign

I am doing alot of this in my Exiles Campaign. Here are the characters in the game:

Speedburst - son of Quicksilver and Meltdown - Incredible combat speed, Mach speed non combat, able to access and program computers at super speed, and explosive time bombs

Thunderstorm - son of Thor and Storm - Base Asgard form (Strength, life support, damage resistance), Weather Control, Indirect Lightning Bolt, Wind Gusts, Flight, Valkerie and Storm sight and the ability to focus her energy to create an electricity based hammer to pound people with.

The SuperPatriot - Steve Rogers - based on the SuperPatriot from Savage Dragon, but with the ability to not only make his arms into guns and missle launchers but also make a shield. One of the players loves Captain America and this character will be quite a surprise to him.

Seraph - son of Warren Worthington (The Angel) and Betsy Braddock (Psylock) - Psionic energy gives him the ability to create wings made of pure energy, shot wing shards or a close range psi-knife that allows him to paralyze (EB vs. AVLD) opponents, psionic healing and regeneration.

Genesis Forge - Alternative Dimension Forge - lightly armoured, mainly using guns and gadgets, only real power is the ability to "McGyver" almost any kind of machine (Major Transform)

NPCs

Soon to be seen NPCs:

Realm - son of Gateway/gather of Bishop - Teleporter, X-Dim Teleportation (to his own pocket dimension), EB, Missle Deflection and Reflection

SummerFrost - daughter of The White Queen (Emma Frost) and Cyclops (Scott Summers) - Can Transform into Ruby Quartz body (diamond hard), with Energy Absorbtion that feeds into strength and energy blast

Emp - Rogue/Magento - Super Strength, Invulnerablity, Flight, Emp Pulse, Danger Sense

Stunner - Longshot/Dazzler - Super Leap, Light Illusion (Short Range), HKA & RKA (Lasers), Luck

Bale - Cannonball/Lila Cheney - Destructive Teleportation (Loud and Large Explosions)

Element - Captain Britain/Meggan - Enhanced Strength & Invulnerablity, Flight, Some Shapeshifting, Elemental Blasts

Talon - Wolverine/Jean Grey - Flaming Telekinesis (TK, Flight, FF), TK Claws and Healing Factor

Mass - Colossus/Shadow Cat - Density Control, From Ghost to Organic Steel

Wildcard - Domino/Cable - Acrobatic, Accurate Soldier, with Luck and Slight TK Powers

Rook - Bishop/Sage - Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator, Absorbs Energy Blasts into Physical and Mental Strength

Blackguard - Rogue/Gambit - Super Strength, Invulnerablity, Flight, Uncontrollable Charge Touch

Obelisk - Juggernaut/Black Tom - Strength and Invulnerabilty, with a Bio-Blast, only through wood and possibly plant control

Quell - Grown up version of Leech - His powers will supress any adjunct powers (mutations, mutates, radiactive accidents, etc) in a large range (16" radius), Combat and deductive skill training, Small gadget pool (mainly a gun) and the ability to show light images of items he thinks about (stolen power from Artie, who was accidentally drain over years)

RE: Super Kids. If you aren't already buying Aaron Willaim's PS238 comic -- do yourself a favor and start. A collection of the first several issues ("With Liberty and Recess For All !") is coming out in April I believe. At this point 2 characters (Tyler and Zodon) are in danger of taking over the series but otherwise it's great fun and manages to keep just this side of parody while being a more "realistic" approach to the genre.

Basically the characters are the kids of superheroes & villains -- usually obvious one-offs of the superheroes we all love.

Exiles

On the Juggernaut/Black Tom front, in Exiles it is very common for another dimension's character being a different sex. For instance, in the normal Marvel Universe Sunfire is a male and so is Sasquatch who is a scientist named Walter Longowski. In the Exiles universe the Sunfire character that was part of the group was a women and the Sasquatch character is Heather (can't remember last name it may be Hudson) and a black woman. In her native dimension this Heather was married to Wolverine. It is an enjoyable comic book and is a perfect front for my players to play Champions.

Re: Exiles

Originally posted by Vex

On the Juggernaut/Black Tom front, in Exiles it is very common for another dimension's character being a different sex. For instance, in the normal Marvel Universe Sunfire is a male and so is Sasquatch who is a scientist named Walter Longowski. In the Exiles universe the Sunfire character that was part of the group was a women and the Sasquatch character is Heather (can't remember last name it may be Hudson) and a black woman. In her native dimension this Heather was married to Wolverine. It is an enjoyable comic book and is a perfect front for my players to play Champions.

The Exiles Sunfire is (was) Mariko Yoshida, the counterpart to Wolvie's now dead Japanese love interest. Standard Marvel has her as the cousin of Sunfire.

Yeah, Sasquatch is Dr Heather Hudson.

My favorite alternate was Powerfist. He seemed to be Luke Cage with the Iron fist of Danny Rand.

I need an Exiles TPB to catch up. I've only got the last three issues (The end of King Hyperion and the 2 part Nocturne story line), but I kind of like the series so far.

Back to the subject of Comic Book Offspring...

She Hulk and Beast should have a child. Don't know what you'd call it, but it would be shaggy, green, and bounce off the walls ;)

While a lot of these ideas are fun, I don't think that superhuman, or at least mutant, genetics really works this way most of the time.

In Marvel anyways.

Sue and Reed Richards' kids didn't become invisible stretching force-field makers.

Rachel Summers got Jean Grey's telepathy, but no TK, and certainly no optic blasts.

All the Rasputin kids had pretty different powers.

Nightcrawler (depending on the storyline/author) is related closely (sometimes son of) to Mystique, but she doesn't teleport, and he doesn't shapeshift.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Rachel Summers got Jean Grey's telepathy, but no TK, and certainly no optic blasts.

I would have made her primary power the eyeblast, but given her a sort of telekinetic ability to warp it's direction. Picture her shooting around corners and over allies.

...oh no... not another character concept I'm interested in making! Stop me now!...

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

While a lot of these ideas are fun, I don't think that superhuman, or at least mutant, genetics really works this way most of the time.

In Marvel anyways.

Nightcrawler (depending on the storyline/author) is related closely (sometimes son of) to Mystique, but she doesn't teleport, and he doesn't shapeshift.

I will point out though in current Marvel Xmen canon. Nightcrawler inherits some of his looks and the teleporting power of his real father. His brothers and sisters (By the same father) also have the teleport power. So sometimes powers do run across genetic lines.

Tasha :)

Originally posted by Tasha

I will point out though in current Marvel Xmen canon. Nightcrawler inherits some of his looks and the teleporting power of his real father. His brothers and sisters (By the same father) also have the teleport power. So sometimes powers do run across genetic lines.

Tasha :)

But they don't all have the same teleport power. All of their powers relate to the same alternate dimension (the smelly brimstone place), bu in different ways. Nightcrawler uses it as a stopover for his teleportation, while Abyss' body turns into a portal to the dimension. So while their powers are related to their father's powers, they aren't identical.

Patrick J McGraw

For Supreme, the offspring of some DC characters. :)

Megawatt: The son of Static and Shebang. A relatively young hero in his twenties, he has his father's electromagnetic powers and his mother's superstrength and super agility. In addition to that, he gets his brains from both sides of the family.

Very powerful and very smart, Megawatt was not only trained in his powers by his parents but also received scientific training from his Uncle Gear making him a decent gadgeteer as well as somebody who's naturally powerful.

Originally posted by Lightray

Heck, DC already does this -- doesn't anyone remember Infinity, Inc.?

Actually, no. Of course there was also "Kingdom Come," but the focus there was on the old generation.

When I ran a DC-themed game a while ago, I made a "Batman Jr" character who was the offspring of Batman and Catwoman. Because of all the various mutating agents they were exposed to during the Silver Age, junior (Kyle Wayne) developed all sorts of animal abilities (primarily strength, agility, and animal senses).

It seems that DC does this every week...

Just kidding

Let's see

Fire Giant Finally succumbing to the intense attraction he feels, Atom Smasher settles down with Fire (they almost became an item when they were in justice league together) They have a son who seems to have inherited his parents abilities, but unlike Fire, his flames are blue and he can only use them in conjuction with his growth, at a minimum of 8 feet tall and a max of over 200ft with the flames growing more powerful as he does, Fire Giant tends to show tremendous restraint with his abilites for fear of causing irreperable harm with his powers.