Who don't you miss?

Enforcer84

Okay, not all the hero characters from the years past made it to the 5th Edition CU. And I was reading in another thread that CLOWN won't be showing up while Steve Long is alive:D ; so are there no shows thus far that you are glad didn't seem to make the cut?

I have to second CLOWN by the way; never really liked them.

European Enemies...any of them

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Assessinos weren't Prof. Muerte's group -- that was Terror, Inc. With Giganto and the cat-woman, and others I don't really remember.

The Assessinos had the spider monkey, the shambling mound, an undead gunslinger, and The Monitor (really lame retro battle armor), IIRC.

There were some aliens called "Gweenies" or something, in there too. It was bad, and I don't ever open the BBB that far back anymore.

... And there was no European Enemies. ... no European Enemies. ... no European Enemies.

*keeps repeating mantra*

Originally posted by Blue

I'm not a big fan of Professor Muerte's crew. Was it "Assassinos"? While they are interesting in a camp sort of way, I could never bring myself to pit my team against a spider monkey and a shambling mound.

Oh right, the sample villians in the back of the BBB. Not Professor Muerte's, but Stalker who was some psuedo vampire.

They weren't really my favorites. I see Lightray covered it.

I think the armored guy was "The Maine".

Personally CLOWN is the entity (group or individual) I miss most from 4th, with Seeker and Solitaire taking 2nd and 3rd. Sanctuary/Neutral Ground would be 4th with the Sentinels (Champions of the North) 5th.

As to who I *don't* miss? Hmm, have to think for a second...

Okay, gotta admit Muerte is on the list -- he was redundant. Ditto with RAVEN, for the ditto reason.

As for Fiacho? Yeah, put him on the "wishful thinking" list. This character has never worked for me.

RE: European Enemies. Y'all have probably heard me crack about how I bought this instead of Strike Force during my early HERO days and have never had a good chance to get Strike Force since.

Well, one of my long-term projects is to convert all of them to 5th in my NeoChampion Universe -- except to make them more legitimate than their borderline offensive (and sometimes just plain offensive) caricatures. I've already done it for a few ("Mammoth" is known as Mastodon in my campaign, for example).

The Neutral Ground/Sanctuary concept never made sense to me. It made the conflict between superheroes and supervillains seem to much like a sporting event. They fight each other on the "playing field" but then go out for drinks afterward?

Originally posted by Rune

The Neutral Ground/Sanctuary concept never made sense to me. It made the conflict between superheroes and supervillains seem to much like a sporting event. They fight each other on the "playing field" but then go out for drinks afterward?

More for villains like GRAB, Bulldozer, the Ultimates and perhaps Foxbat. The people who aren't megalomaniacs, psychos, and just plane Aholes.

Just for the villains who aren't 'bad guys', just different. I'm sure Icicle or Mongoose, Utility or other 'not really evil' people could show up and have a good time with other 'laid back good guys'. I don't see Nighthawk getting in on it, but likely say, Kinetik, or Seeker.

Guest cubist

I liked CLOWN and if I ever get a game on, they will be updatef for 5th ed.

Who should stay dead? Anything out of the Champions of the North book except for Borealis. Nope, never liked it, never used it and as far as I'm concerned, it was never printed(go to the happy place, go to the hppy place). I would even salvage some things from European Enemies but not CotN. CAll it a personal bias I guess.

It seems very strange from most of our current perspectives, but there are many instances in human history of soldiers and warriors fighting on the battlefield and then spending their "off hours" not fighting.

One example: Knights who might be on opposite sides during the campaigning season each year would attend same tournaments, court the same ladies, etc (yes, I'm aware of the inaccuracies of the common perceptions of that time period, but in general the point still applies).

missing

Well, I agree with the majority of the posts. Most of the Assenos or whatever their name is could gladly depart. I did like the Maine though, I like "themed" characters, it separates them from the generic masses. I also miss Death Commando........my first hunted supervillian, and the first supervillian with a gadget pool, if i remember correctly.

Re: missing

Originally posted by drrushing

Well, I agree with the majority of the posts. Most of the Assenos or whatever their name is could gladly depart. I did like the Maine though, I like "themed" characters, it separates them from the generic masses. I also miss Death Commando........my first hunted supervillian, and the first supervillian with a gadget pool, if i remember correctly.

I liked Death Stroke. They had that slightly off feel.

I do not, nor will I miss 99% of Alien Enemies, sorry but that book I got for $2 and it SUCKED, I feel jipped at that price...

The only character who I have EVER used out of it were the locust aliens (Actualy they were frog like, but what they do is come to a planet, eat everything, move on)

Originally posted by Rune

There are a couple of different ways you can take it, I use a combination of the two myself. Please note that I use the term "nova" from Aberrant to describe people with superpowers.

One is to have a place "of novas, by novas, for novas". Aberrant has a club or three, Sanctuary gives me an entire island :D It's a place where novas can be among their own kind without the sometimes arbitrary laws of the outside world. In a campaign with a more realistic approach to the registration act than the official Champions Universe, this might be more of a necessity than a playing field.

Second is for those campaigns with a more silver-aged theme than golden or bronze. To work properly it has to have some kind of authority figure -- in my own campaign I run Hyperion as a retired Superman figure, with an appropriate level. But as someone else mentioned, Sanctuary isn't for the Dr. Destroyer's and Fiacho's of the world -- it's for the Utility's, the CLOWN's, and similar cases of people who don't see themselves as villains.

Pantera! that was the name. I hate animalistic/feral cat-women who are supposed to be sexy and deadly.

You can keep the Jack Chalker-ish sex fantasies out of my superhero game, thank you.

Also? There is a Pantera's Pizza in the Midwest. Every time the GM using her as a villain had her show up, our game would instantly derail with the one-liners. It was worse than CLOWN, really.

... And I can't say I'm too upset over getting The Maine's name wrong. Because, really.

Originally posted by death tribble

The Olympians, the Olympian based aliens and Tyrannon. All of these are awful and don't deserve a come back.

Hate to tell you, d.t., but Tyrannon is official in the 5E CU. He's been mentioned in several books and will probably be written up in one of the upcoming "mystic" books. Perhaps his form will be different, though.

Loved the character myself. :P

Jack Chalker = novelist who tends to have women in his stories transformed into animalistic sex slaves. which they usually end up enjoying, of course.

he wrote the Well World novels, Four Lords of the Diamond novels, River of Dancing Gods novels, Changewinds novels, Flux and Anchor novels. all I've read have the same themes show up (some worse than others).

it's kind of like Gor, but better Sci Fi concepts and better writing (usually). just skeeves me out when I feel like I'm reading someone else's sex fetish fantasies.

and Pantera always struck me the same way. hence, I'm not sorry to see her not around.

Originally posted by Lightray

The Assessinos weren't Prof. Muerte's group -- that was Terror, Inc. With Giganto and the cat-woman, and others I don't really remember.

The Assessinos had the spider monkey, the shambling mound, an undead gunslinger, and The Monitor (really lame retro battle armor), IIRC.

That's them! I couldn't find my BBB before I posted (but then I didn't look too hard).

I never used Muerte Either (Since I already had Dr. Destroyer) so I probably just lumped him in there with them when I threw the whole bunch out.

Originally posted by cubist

I liked CLOWN and if I ever get a game on, they will be updatef for 5th ed.

Who should stay dead? Anything out of the Champions of the North book except for Borealis. Nope, never liked it, never used it and as far as I'm concerned, it was never printed(go to the happy place, go to the hppy place). I would even salvage some things from European Enemies but not CotN. CAll it a personal bias I guess.

I've never had a chance to look through a copy of CotN, myself, but I've read other posts giving good reviews. What did you not like about it?

Originally posted by lemming

Clown gets my vote as well.

I'm glad Bora got shot. Wish they had gotten Fiacho.

It was so much better when my players finally, after many years, took eurostar down. Fiacho and Bora were the only survivors, but they were both interred in massive alien sarcophoguses filled with nasty oxygenated, stasis inducing goop. Through a complex series of events bora was woken up and blew her sargophogi open, but Fiacho's sarcophogi was damaged in the process and he... well, death becomes him. Mentalla, who went through a huge story arc and character change in my game, and who ended up (unofficially) joining the heroes towards the end, helped track Bora down. Her demise was fast and brutal.

I'm glad CLOWN is out, but there are far too many who made it in. The assenios - definately glad they're out. The Sentinels - glad they're out too. Most of the characters in Hi-Tech Enemies (esp. Doc Digitial) - glad they're out. Most of the characters in European Enemies (Glad their out)...