Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Superhero Images

I've played around with it a bit. I bought Poser 6 and 7 in the upgrade deal that they were running and so I'm committed to learning Poser for now. I've heard good stuff about D|S' date=' just haven't invested my time into it. I also picked up Bryce 6 and Carrera in recent sales as well so I still have a lot of learning to do. My hope is to learn them well enough that I can start doing scenes for my games for the players or at a bare minimum start doing character pics for them. Eventually I will be tackling making the models from scratch so that I can make back some of the money I spent. LOL[/quote']

I find D|S pretty easy to work in, though I'm just getting into lighting and making things look awesome instead of just good...

Not a superhero, but no lovin' of comments in the Star Hero thread. This be my Gemini Ascendant character, Samantha; a fighter pilot.

sam_pinup_sm.jpg

(Large Version)

Well done g-a! She's a bit shiney, and that is the same problem I've been trying to solve with my pics. I think lighting is perhaps one of the most difficult parts to figure out. Followed by textures in a very close second since the lighting affects the textures.

Well done g-a! She's a bit shiney' date=' and that is the same problem I've been trying to solve with my pics. I think lighting is perhaps one of the most difficult parts to figure out. Followed by textures in a very close second since the lighting affects the textures.[/quote']

There is an excellent tutorial for handling the inherent shininess of the Daz models, which I will link to. It's designed for Daz Studio rather than Poser but the same principles should apply.

Basically by default the base skin glossiness is set too high & needs dropping to about 72. More importantly the specularity setting needs to drop to about 12-15 and the specularity colour changed to white.

Anyway, XPer can explain it far more eloquently than I.

By the way the pics on the site are definitely not safe for work (unless you work in a brothel)

Clicky

I would direct all interested parties to http://www.animotions.com' date=' which has a lot of supers-related freebies (and stuff to buy, should you be that way inclined). Most of it is geared towards replicating existing superhero characters, but there's enough there to mix and match your own.[/quote']

I concur. I've gotten some good stuff there. I also posted to the gallery.

There is an excellent tutorial for handling the inherent shininess of the Daz models, which I will link to. It's designed for Daz Studio rather than Poser but the same principles should apply.

Basically by default the base skin glossiness is set too high & needs dropping to about 72. More importantly the specularity setting needs to drop to about 12-15 and the specularity colour changed to white.

Anyway, XPer can explain it far more eloquently than I.

By the way the pics on the site are definitely not safe for work (unless you work in a brothel)

Clicky

Thanks for the link and advice. I will definitely try them out.

EDIT: Weird, not sure why the quote isn't working correctly. Found it, it is caused by V's name being in quotes.

There's also a guy, Pendragon, working on some very nice shaders for Daz - you can find them here and there's a nice tutorial on using HDRI for image-based lighting using these shaders here.

I've done a few renders using these, and a Superman render at Animotions here. (You may need to register with Animotions to view, but it is free).

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the bump schir!

@Korvar: Could I still the cowboy pic above that you made? I'm putting together a Western Hero game and I'm currently on the lookout for all sorts of artwork for maps and the setting. Also, if you still have that Poser file would you mind doing me a huge favor? I need some token for the mapping software I need and it is pretty easy to use the top camera in Poser save a pic. I can do all the post work on it to turn it into a token if you could give me a hi-res pic to work from. If you don't have the file or time, no sweat. I'm just trying to do this on a low budget. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I used Daz Studio' date=' a free 3d art package available from www.daz3d.com - which I prefer to the more advanced (and expensive!) Poser software. There are people on these boards using Daz Studio far better than I however, I am just a hobbyist.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll download it and play with it myself. Rep to thee!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried writing up Odin's creation the Destroyer. From the issue of Thor that I saw it in' date=' would be a nasty encounter. Seemed to be a little susceptable to mind attacks or maybe it was just Thor that could defeat it.[/quote']

I once wrote up Marvel's the Juggernaut with a 100 PD and 100 ED. He still got beaten. One dazzlingly brilliant flash attack and he couldn't see anyone approaching. Coordinated attacks, move-throughs, pushed move-throughs, etc etc. Let's not forget the proverbial drop-from-the-sky-so-you-take-30d6 attack. Amazing what resourceful heroes can do.