Superhero Images

schir1964

Re: Superhero Images

So someone was woundering just how I did up my images. Well its nothing more than tracing. A bit of a cheat I know, but its time consuming...and I personally lack confidence in my own drawing skills. I can only draw characters in one pose generally and can't really do anything more action orientated or too detailed.

But here is a track of how I do things using only the default "Paint" program on most computers.

I don't use other drawing programs usually...except for Idraw, which I can use to make game sprites. I don't use Photoshop and such because they are way too complicated to use, and generally end up making me irritated and frustrated.

So here we have our base picture, one of Captain America from the X-Men: Evolution cartoon.

image_captainamerica1.jpg

Step 1) I use a very bright blue and use a double thick line tool to slowly trace the body of the character in question, going over all of the black lines and body contours. For the face I go down to just a single line to control detail. I then usually save as a BMP file with 16 colors. This will vastly alter the colors on the picture, and allow me to more easily change colors to a white back ground. This pic is just before I do that.

Cap---template.jpg

This next pick is what things look like when I have the basic template done. Its here where I save it again but this time up to 256 colors or 24bit. I usually do 24bit.

Cap---template2.jpg

Its at this stage that I will change the lines to black, and use blue & red lines, or purple to figure out other details like changes to the face, adding other details to the body and so forth.

Here below is the final product of the alterations, where I've added color and finally saved it as a jpeg.

SW---Tremmane.jpg

This is the psycho dark Jedi known as Tremmane. He wields a lightsaber that uses 2 emiters side by side to generate what appears to be a thicker than normal blade, all for intimidation purposes. And he is as psychotic as he looks.

But here are 2 images I've drawn by hand.

AleckDarkwind2.jpg

This is Aleck Darkwind. He was a D&D character I had a while back, Fighter/Rogue.

JasonLocfordpic2.jpg

And this is Jason Lockford. He was a 150+pt character from a Fantasy hero game. He was a medium style armroed swordsman, and mage we called a Blade-Mage. He cast buffing spells, like a +3 to OCV & DCV to himself & 1 other person, a flame blade spell and I think he learned 2 other spells.'

The GM had us divide the Real Cost of spells by 3 for his system.

The PC wore a set of red banded armor that was custom made for him. He also wielded a pair of scimitars.

And here is another Fantasy character I played, he was a bit of a light fighter/stealth guy.

Graveincostume.jpg

And here is a very early picture of Torrent from a different game. I had originally been thinking was more of a lighter supers game...but it was far closer to dark champions.

Jason3.jpg

I also recyled the picture to create a Star Wars Zieson Sha warrior character.

StarWarsCharacter.jpg

And here is the 1st one I did, for my Star Wars character, John Stryder.

john_stryder_and_lightsaber.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How do I go about posting images to this thread?

Major Tom :confused:

When you do an "Advanced Reply/Post" not a "Quick Reply/Post" you'll get a large screen.

Scroll down until you can see all the "Additional Options" section.

Inside, you'll find a "Manage Attachments" button.

You should be able to figure it out from there.

Keep in mind that you do have Size Limit for all attachments so you can download a few huge pictures, or you can download a lot of tiny pictures.

- Christopher Mullins

Guest Major Tom

Schir1964: I just tried that, but all that's happening is that I get a "Upload of

file failed" message from the computer.

Schir1964: I just tried that, but all that's happening is that I get a "Upload of

file failed" message from the computer.

What format is/are the picture(s)? I know this forum has had problems with bitmaps, for example. Try JPEGs or PNGs if you can. I've had good luck with them.

Failing that, you can post the actual pictures on a site like Photobucket, then link to that. They'll show up full sized that way, rather than as thumbnails.

Guest Major Tom

What format is/are the picture(s)? I know this forum has had problems with bitmaps, for example. Try JPEGs or PNGs if you can. I've had good luck with them.

Failing that, you can post the actual pictures on a site like Photobucket, then link to that. They'll show up full sized that way, rather than as thumbnails.

They're in .jpg format.

UPDATE: Just checked the pics, and they're in .jpeg format. I think what I was

doing wrong was in typing the end of the file name as .jpg when it should have

been .jpeg.

Major Tom :cool:

Guest Major Tom

Email one your pictures to me at schir1964@gmail.com and I'll try to upload it to see if I can find the problem.

Is it possible you are using the new jpg format (jp6 I think)?

- Christopher Mullins

The email has been sent, pics included. As to what format was used, I

couldn't tell you. You see, I had to use a relative's scanner to scan the

pics, after which I emailed them to my computer and transferred them

to the "My Pictures" file on it.

Major Tom :cool:

Picture Test 1

Original Powerstar_v3.jpg image.

Hmmm... worked just fine.,,

Are you using a dial-up connection or a high-speed connection for the internet?

BTW: These aren't copyrighted materials that you are trying to post are they? Only pictures that you have the copyrights, one's you've created yourself, and public domain pictures should be uploaded here. Just so you know.

Removed in case of copyright infringement.

• 4 weeks later...

Minerva is a Dark Knight type in Golgoth, a fairly dark city in my campaign. She is the third Minerva of the 20th Century. She is supported by an ancient secret society of women who support the Minerva Project and have been supporting Minervas for generations.

The current Minerva is a very inexperienced University student who has replaced the second Minerva who kind of went bad and turned against her mentor. This Minerva is very different than the "character" of past Minervas. She's much more social and cooperative, much to the frustration of her mentor who is an old and crusty lady with an attitude.

Re: New pic, sort of...

Here's a quick pic' date=' from something I did I think a while back, a reimagining anyway...simple pencil drawing w/ colored pencil for detail. This is Freedom...a Martial Artist/Street Fighter Ryo/Ken type, with a Captain America bent...[/quote']

I love Freedom's shoes! I think they'd actually sell!

Very nice. Doing up characters in CoH is a nice tradition and often works. Just had an idea to try something new with that.... maybe I'll try painting over a picture for better color use and all that, and giving room to change things... hmm....

Nice drawings drrushing, penemue... Freedom almost looks like he belong on American Gladiators or something. =) Does Dark Knight's cape actually hold her up or was that artistic license?

Minerva is a Dark Knight type in Golgoth, a fairly dark city in my campaign. She is the third Minerva of the 20th Century. She is supported by an ancient secret society of women who support the Minerva Project and have been supporting Minervas for generations.

The current Minerva is a very inexperienced University student who has replaced the second Minerva who kind of went bad and turned against her mentor. This Minerva is very different than the "character" of past Minervas. She's much more social and cooperative, much to the frustration of her mentor who is an old and crusty lady with an attitude.

Rep for this tomorrow!