Your Character's Greatest Fear?

Hermit

Re: Your Character's Greatest Fear?

Jade- he still retains his childhood fears of being eaten by large creatures, but his largest fear is losing his magical ring (and thus losing about 2/3 of his magic, and more importantly, his immortality). On a subconcious level, he secretly fears having to grow up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have often wondered what "St Barbara's" greatest fear would be. Her psych lims are mostly about going "postal" if certain things happen (like people threatening women or children). There are times that I think that she might fear not being "liked" (or at least being found attractive by others) as much as anything. Perhaps "abandonment" would be a fear as well; this has happenned in her past and it led to her getting into trouble and having to be rescued. Not being able to help peole might come into it as well (she worked for UNICEF before she obtained super powers; now she has powers she feels that she should be able to help MORE people in bigger and better ways). Hmm, much to ponder on here !

Wow, post number one under a name I can remember, and it's a good subject!

*getting out the folder of Defenders Universe characters and other HEROes*

Descant: Being leader of the Defenders of Seacouver doesn't quite erase the ghosts of her family, Code Black, or her past. I think Madison's greatest fear lies in the fact that her uncle Roland, aka Nightblade, still lives, and what he may be capable of doing to the rest of her family. Even now, the thought of him still makes her blood run cold.

Touchstone: Mason fears most for the safety of his family, his sister Tanya in particular. In addition to that, his almost obnoxiously heightened senses have given him a very real case of claustrophobia. Being in a space so tight as to cut off or reflect too closely what his senses pick up scrambles his brain in a very bad way. (Needless to say, he doesn't frequent aluminum air duct systems very often! Then again, he can just use his phase harness to go desolid if he has to sneak in places...)

Amethyst: Tracy has a DNPC situation as well... her occasional ward, a feisty 11-year-old boy who is absolutely convinced he's going to be a super-spy just like her (think the son from The Mummy, Jade from Jackie Chan, or the pigtailed girls in Inspector Gadget and Darkwing Duck) gives her endless things to worry about besides where the criminal mastermind will strike next. Her greatest fear is that he may never live to see twelve!

TARA: As a computer backup system and lifesaving robot who recently lost the man she was first "built into" to Mechanon (in one universe, at least!), she has several concerns in her ever-developing emotional systems; losing another partner, for one, especially to Mechanon, would certainly scramble her more than just a bit! Also, her growing sentience is leading to a fear that she may not be accepted for her own individuality.

Jadian: His worst fear, as a reformed Infernal, would be failing at his newfound quest for humanity, since one slip-up could be enough to get him recaptured and dragged back down into the Hells from whence he came. You might understand how this would be "bad"... in the Ghostbusters sense of the word! (Demon overlords are not known for their forgiving natures.) Aside from that, I'd say the thing he's most nervous about is... succeeding! He's never been human before, and although he's certain he'll be quite good at it, some aspects seem a bit daunting to him... like slowly losing his power!

That should be everybody currently written up in FREd... off to find more things to post about. (Note to self: have Raven come and post on this thread, and get him to include Boss...) :winkgrin:

Welcome to the Boards, Descant!

And since I'm being called out...

Cobalt: Many minor fears, but his greatest is that supers will eventually lead to the breakdown of civilization. Fortunately he's surrounded by several supers contrary to that fear and who actively work against it.

Shonin: His greatest fear is that he'll hurt someone. He's one of the strongest men alive and has trouble controlling his strength when he gets angry.

Zectron: Mmm... He's a 4-color Tick type..... I'll have to think about this one. Has to be something corny and highly exploitble, but not too common place. Quiche perhaps.

Vantage: That's easy. The loss of his powers. She's a show-off and is practically adicted to flaunting his abilities.

and finally...

Boss: He's afraid of people learning his secrets...:P

I kindly rescind part of my last post...

Touchstone's greatest fear is what BigBrother (Ooops, I meant Boss) really *is* watching, and whether he has any privacy at all! This from a creature of secrets!!!

:P

Oh, well... Every game brings me a step or two closer to figuring him out! Muhhahahaha!!!!!

The Z-Man is desperately afraid that Ryder will return. Ryder is/was an extradimensional killer with RKA bought Extradimensional Penetrating x3. Vangaurd faced him once and lost, leaving the group to temporarily split up and each PC went to an isolated spot without humans. Why because Ryder always left one victim alive! :sneaky:

The Crimson Seraph is afraid that his faith is not enough, that he is just a mutant with a messanic complex, and further that heaven does not exist. Why? Because that means he will never see his wife Jospehine again. :weep:

Caress is afraid of being uncool, ingored and unpopular. She is afraid of her powers. She is afraid of what others think of her. She is afraid of Horror films, snakes, and getting fat. She is just your typical teenager. :rolleyes:

Hawksmoor

The biggest fear of Dark Moon is to loose her younger sister (her 9 years brother was murdered two years ago in her eyes!, her ice eyes ;)).

She has a horrible history which I can't translate at all right now (it's too late and I want to sleep :D). Violation and murder at the same time of her family in her eyes and she couldn't do nothing because she didn't know she had powers until they tried to kill her. It was too late to save his brother and the embarrassed baby-sitter. After it she was traumatized.

Dr. Anomaly is a scientist-sorcerer, though he was a gadgeteer long before his rather...ah...sudden and explosive discovery that he was a functional mage, as well. (He'd always been rather New Age-ish, doing meditation, crystal gazing, and such as that...but one day, it worked...)

To reflect his greater experience with science rather than magic, his Gadget Pool is 75 pts, his Magic Pool is 30 pts.

Since he understands magic far less than he does science, he has a persistant fear of losing control of a spell and having the magic 'run wild'. This has happened (or come frightenly close to happening) twice so far, and has only reinforced this fear. Once was a jaunt several thousand years B.C., and he found the power of his magical and scientific abilities exchanged (75 pt Magic Pool, 30 pt. Gadget) and he very nearly had several spells cascade into runaway reactions because he wasn't used to controlling that much magical power.

The other case involved the team of which he's a part having to go and face down a Viper elite team and support personnel to rescue one rather foolishly brave (or just foolhardy) team member who had successfully trailed them to their hidden base. This came immediately on the heels of a long knock-down drag-out that had left Dr. Anomaly with most of his potions, scrolls, and fetishes expended and much of his gagets out of fuel, burned out, or smashed...and there was no time to replace any of them. For true emergancies (which he judged this to be) he keeps a small stockpile of...less than savory magical items, most of which he's never used because he fears what their taint will do to his soul. In this case, he selected a talisman he'd never used but whose description translated roughly as "Soul Rend". The magical aura of the item was nearly non-existant (it was a 3 Real Point Cost item) so he wasn't sure how powerful it would prove to be.

When he used it (literally to save the life of a fallen teammate who was about to be killed by a Viper Special Agent), it proved all too horribly effective...and he was effectively out of the rest of the combat because of his mind recoiling from the hideous effects of that spell unleashed. He still has nightmares about what it did to the Viper agent, and how it left him (Dr. Anomaly) soaked in blood head to foot. He's vowed never to use it again, under any circumstances, and has kept it hidden in the base's most impregnable vault ever since.

[For the record, the Viper agent survived, but was taken to -8 Body by the spell. That was the turning point in the battle; with their commander fallen, the rest staged a fighting retreat, taking their wounded commander, and set the base to detonate to cover their escape. Dr. Anomaly wasn't truly aware of any of this, being frozen in wide-eyed near-catatonic horror and revulsion at the results of the magic he'd unleashed.]

Alpha Centurion: Letting down his freinds and family/allowing them to be hurt

Mr Impossible: Being outedas the product of Nazi engineering

Kid Khaos: Becoming like his father the sick and egomaniacle Lord Chaos

Rubber-man: Losing his identity amongst the thousands of multiple personalitys caused by his recent shifting into a full blown shapeshifter

Aoteroa man- Having his power taken away

Smash- Children ousing the drug thats been made from his cell samples

Isreal- being crippled again

Hyper- Being alone in the dark

Panic- the super hero known as Raven

Defender (completly different from a well known HERO character)- That he will become the evil future version of himself

Mittens is afraid of filth and disease. She grew up in Japan and also fears things with tentacles.

Arcana fears that her magic might get out of control and cause some sort of catastrophe. She is stronger in the presence of powerful daemonic creatures. This bothers her.

Sniper fears for the wellbeing of his family. None of them (including himself) are bulletproof and he has many enemies. He also fears that he is hearing things and seeing things, but it's probably just stress...

Snow Leopard has the family fears, her mother's claustrophobia and her father's fear of hospitals and mind control.

Cheetah fears exposure as the fraud, sham and cheat he believes himself to be.

Iron Will fears death. He's 13 years old with myasthenia gravis so severe that he cannot survive outside his self-designed iron lung / float chair.

Dolphin fears extinctions, habitat destruction, and loss of biodiversity.

Millennium has no fear that he cannot heroically overcome, except possibly that he may someday set a bad example.

Omega (foul mouthed 20-year-old uberbeing(w/magic powers variable pool)/brick): Someone killing (or worse to his dad). Also, fighting someone with the Transform power "Straight to Gay". :-)

Stuntman (handsome but pragmatic tough guy super in his early 30s, nearly impervious to pain). Being the only member of his team left alive at the end of a fight.

Thundrax (teenaged boy scout brick). A radioactive master villain named Spectre (though he'd never openly admit it).

Johnny (son of Johnny Canuck, minor league superhero leader, marginally superhuman martial artist, a normal with a few luck powers). His daughter becoming a supervillain.

Pan (as in Peter Pan, exiled from Neverland). His mother. Pan has a real strong hatred/fear of them.

Scott Bennie

My turn!

Chronamancer:

[Time-warping Martial Artist]

20 pt. Psych: Fear of “creepy-crawliesâ€

Psyphon:

[Mentalist and minor, psychic-vampire]

15 pt. Psych: Fear of teleporting (she has Susc: 2d6 Body when teleported)

Afterburner (villain):

[Four armed, fire-wielding mutant]

10 pt. Psych: Fears large bodies of water

Bulletproof:

[speedster, nigh invulnerable]

15 pt. Psych: Fear of ice

Captain Avenger II:

[EB who draws her powers from the light]

15 pt. Psych: Fear of darkness (she has Susc: 1d6 per turn)

Dark Veil (villain):

[Mentalist/ Illusionist]

10 pt. Psych: Fear of snakes

Delta:

[Telekinetic mutate]

15 pt. Psych: Fear of deep water

Glory:

[Light Brick w/ molecular manipulation]

10 pt. Psych: Fear of acid (Oddly enough, she has Susc: 3d6 vs teleports and 3d6 vs dimensional displacement, but she has no Susc to acid attacks)

Monsoon:

[Weather-wielding Aquarik]

5 pt. Psych: Claustraphobia

Sable the Huntress:

[Furry Martial Artist]

20 pt. Psych: Fear of fire

The Scarlet Blaze (villain):

[Friction/ Fire Speedster]

10 pt. Psych: Fear of deep water (she has Physical: Cannot swim)

Shadow Bird:

[brick w/ black feathered wings]

15 pt. Psych: Fear of fire

Skedaddle

[speedster]

15 pt. Psych: Paranoid (not exactly a fear, but close enough!)

Mindscape:

[Mentalist/ Illusionist]

20 pt. Psych: Fear of heights (she doesn't fly)

10 pt. Psych: Fear of physical damage (she runs from Hand to Hand combat, or at least she used to, before a huge demon bit her head off. Never, ever buy all of your armor on an activation roll...)

Mags

- My Magmarock PC has no fears listed

Flare: Killing. He's been a 4-colour hero in an Abberant game for a while, until some Mafia hoods launched a SAM at him. Not knowing a hole heap about military-grade weapons, he thought it would be cool to lead the missile on a merry chase until it hit the thug's car, which they were standing around, firing submachine guns at him.

All four died in the explosion.

Since then, Flare's never been quite the same happy-go-lucky hotheaded showoff he was before. It took quite a while before he could really face being a City Defender again, and now his first priority in combat is to ensure nobody - not even the villains - die. He's just had two bad guys cut in two in front of him (it was unfortunately the only way to deal with them - they had massive defences against everything but the State Trooper's Aggravated Damage "lightsaber, against which, it turned out, they had no defences at all). This will probably have repercussions.

As for Dr. Graves, my other PC: he just fears the minds of the Demons he's twice now come into contact with.

Neutron (my hero, not the villain from The Conquerors) - maybe that VIPER might one day find out he has a family & try to get to them, although this isn't a fear he actively thinks about.

Roger - that Elmyra from the show Tiny Toon Adventures will get him. He's a cartoon character in the 'real' world. (He's one of my fav characters. I actually have to downplay him sometimes so he doesn't always steal the show in a game.)

My GM reads the boards. I am not crazy enough to put my character's greatest fear(s) where he easily find them. However, being the novice hero he is, he would certainly be upset if he were to fail to live up to the standards set by the world's greatest heroes before him. The Imagineer very much wants to become of the history's greatest heroes......

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just doing my main superhero team, GAUNTLET. (Guardians Against Undead Nightmares, Thugs, Lowlives, and Evil Things)

1) The Demon (Kung-fu powers) fears becoming a cold-blooded killer. He's very much the honorable martial artist, and he wants to be feared ("did you know criminals are naturally superstitious? I read it in a book!") only by the bad guys.

2) The Owl (Gun-fighter/Gadgeteer) is completely paranoid. Her single greatest fear is of ending up drugged up to her eyeballs in a mental hospital. She knows she's not crazy, but society seems to have issues with flying Punisher knock-offs.

3) Accelerant (Pyrokinetic/Empath) fears going mad. He's a pyrokinetic empath on a team of messed up people. The Owl alone once made blood come out of his nose. He'd also prefer to avoid barbequeing any teammates accidentally.

4) Freight-Train (Super-speedster/Brick) fears becoming a science experiment. He got his powers from "a shiny rock," and a bunch of people seem to want to get their hands on him. He still isn't very good at maintaining a secret identity.

5) Stargazer (Magically Enhanced) is afraid of her powers and her relative inability to control them. She also has a complete phobia of killing humans.

6) AK-47 (Anime catgirl) is afraid of zombies, her deadbeat dad who is a minor deity with nasty sense of humor, and her highschool principal.