Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I don't like Stephen King' date=' as he bores me. I have never once been scared by anything he has written, or has been put on the screen. Granted, I've only read [u']Needful Things[/u], Christine and The Tommyknockers, but they bored me to sleep. I literally couldn't keep my eyes open.

Now Lovecraft was interesting. Some of that got into the truly weird, though, to the point that you lose some of the fear-factor. I liked the Amityville Horror, too. But, then my normal dreams scare my wife.

To each their own, I guess.

Nightshade

There's your problem right there. You picked the biggest and most boring of his books, and you're reading them to be scared.

I read his books to be entertained, not frightened. The scare factor is an interesting side effect.

But King's best stories, IMHO, are the ones that don't involve horror. Or, at least, not ghosties and ghoulies and scary critters.

Though if you want to give him another chance, try Carrie and Pet Semetery (or however the heck that's spelled). I also immensely enjoyed Eyes of the Dragon, which is a fantasy story, not horror. There's also The Talisman, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub. I liked that one a lot.

But most importantly, give his books only 100 pages to grab you. Don't keep reading if it still bores you at that point. Got that advice out of Mr. King's On Writing.

I'm the last 2 posts? 12 hours apart?

Don't tell me the LRTE is dying!? :weep:

That's because we're only interested in post count. :snicker:

Naw, I've been busy and hardly on. That and while my net access should be 256k, it's seems closer to 26k.

:lol:

And on that note, I'm going to bed now, and won't be back again until Monday. I'm driving to Maryland and back this weekend so I can see my sister graduate from medical school.

Just as long as she doesn't expect a present. Or a card. My presence is all she's getting. It should be more than enough, considering what a pain in the neck all the preparations have been, and how much a pain in the ankle it'll be during that 10-hour drive.

~ v ~;

Things That Sound Dirty at the Office but Aren't

I need to whip it out by 5.

Mind if I use your laptop?

Just stick it in my box.

If I have to lick one more, I'll gag!

I want it on my desk, NOW!!!

Hmmmm...I think it's out of fluid!

My equipment is so old, it takes forever to finish.

It's an entry-level position.

When do you think you'll be getting off today?

It's not fair...I do all the work while he just sits there!

Have you checked your hard disk for viruses?

I've increased my RAM for more power.**

Combat for Dummies

Advice and instructions taken from actual military sources. Some of these guys must have had a sense of humor

"Aim towards the enemy."

--Instruction printed on U.S. Rocket Launcher

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."

--U.S. Marine Corps

"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

--USAF Ammo Troop

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

--Infantry Journal

"A slipping gear could let your m203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."

--Army's magazine of prevention maintenance

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed."

--U.S. Air Force manual

"Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo."

--Infantry Journal

"Tracers work both ways."

--U.S. Army Ordnance