Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Why don't the feminists just buy a different paper? Who cares if a newspaper wants to have cheesecake on page three? It's not hurting anyone. The women depicted aren't forced into doing it - I'd even suggest that they probably have many applicants to be "page three girls".

I think these feminists are just out of touch and out to lunch. Get a life.

Sigh. Another great day at the office. :doi:

Next thing you'll be saying I can just put whatever I want into a book, possibly even ignoring feminist viewpoints and writing fiction where women enjoy intercourse and it's not rape on any level. What kind of sicko are you?

:D

I used to write a full-page humor column feature in my college's weekly newspaper. One was full of advice to incoming freshmen as to how they can save money now that they're on their own. Again, this was a humor column.

One suggestion, briefly noted, was to buy the cheaper basic condoms as opposed to springing for the lambskin spermicide ribbed tickler jobs. At the next staff meeting I was confronted by the officers of the campus women's association who wanted to know how my editor could let me get away with condoning rape on campus.

She asked, "What are you talking about?" They read the condom comment from my last column and angrily declared, "That is condoning rape! That defines all women as nothing but sexual objects!" Stunned silence ensued.

I broke it with, "Get a life, and then get out."

Can't agree.

Part of what the ant-Page 3 crowd is doing is saying that it is sending the wrong message to people at an impressionable age. There is more than one paper that does it but one that flaunts it more than the others.

The girls are always topless and you see the chest. And part of their argument which I agree with is this: What is a half naked or all nude, except knickers, picture of a woman doing in a newspaper ?

It is all to with conditioning. Children can see this and will see it completely out of context. They can buy the paper themselves. Magazines like Playboy are always on shelves they can't reach and are not sold to minors. The newspapers are close to hand.

True the women can make money from it. But men are the ones who control the industry and are responsible for the inclusion in the first place.

The main newspapers do not have it so why should the tabloids ?

The critics have a valid argument. They are taking it seriously but the pro lobby behaves like children. And this has been going on since the 60s.

Can't agree.

Part of what the ant-Page 3 crowd is doing is saying that it is sending the wrong message to people at an impressionable age. There is more than one paper that does it but one that flaunts it more than the others.

The girls are always topless and you see the chest. And part of their argument which I agree with is this: What is a half naked or all nude, except knickers, picture of a woman doing in a newspaper ?

It is all to with conditioning. Children can see this and will see it completely out of context. They can buy the paper themselves. Magazines like Playboy are always on shelves they can't reach and are not sold to minors. The newspapers are close to hand.

True the women can make money from it. But men are the ones who control the industry and are responsible for the inclusion in the first place.

The main newspapers do not have it so why should the tabloids ?

The critics have a valid argument. They are taking it seriously but the pro lobby behaves like children. And this has been going on since the 60s.

The issue is your obscenity laws, not the newspaper per se then. It either ought be legal in any "regular" periodical or none.

I used to write a full-page humor column feature in my college's weekly newspaper. One was full of advice to incoming freshmen as to how they can save money now that they're on their own. Again, this was a humor column.

One suggestion, briefly noted, was to buy the cheaper basic condoms as opposed to springing for the lambskin spermicide ribbed tickler jobs. At the next staff meeting I was confronted by the officers of the campus women's association who wanted to know how my editor could let me get away with condoning rape on campus.

She asked, "What are you talking about?" They read the condom comment from my last column and angrily declared, "That is condoning rape! That defines all women as nothing but sexual objects!" Stunned silence ensued.

I broke it with, "Get a life, and then get out."

Didn't you mean to get out first, then get a life? :D

The issue is your obscenity laws' date=' not the newspaper per se then. It either ought be legal in any "regular" periodical or none.[/quote']

Again I disagree. The English are markedly more prudish than the rest of the Continent and America as well.

Despite that it would be easy to prove that a woman's body is not obscene.

But why is it necessary to display a mainly nude young woman in a newspaper and pretend that it is normal ?

If you are on the beach or in a warm climate like the tropics maybe but in the cold of Britain ?

It is purely for titillation and is salacious. And serves to coarsen society as a whole. These are newspapers and they are supposed to print the truth, to be guardians of public morals. Magazines like Playboy are geared at a particular market as are gun magazines and Soldier of Fortune. They are not guardians of public morals.

Sorry. My fault.

But I have strong feelings on this. And have seen how things have changed in the last 30 odd years. There is a paper or a group that I can point fingers at as being to blame for this and other things. That Australian whom even Australians may spit at is responsible.

I need some good campaign ideas for my upcoming champions campaign. It is going to be interesting some of what I have planned though.

How about "Accident throws group backward in time. Now they have to deal." Alternatively, "Accident throws group forward in time, now they have to deal" works just as good. The former, they might end up being the paradoxical group that introduces super DNA into the gene pool fromwhich they themselves sprung later. The latter, they may meet a nemesis who thought he finally destroyed them during the accident, n' stuff.

These are newspapers and they are supposed to print the truth, to be guardians of public morals. Magazines like Playboy are geared at a particular market as are gun magazines and Soldier of Fortune. They are not guardians of public morals.

Newspapers are guardians of public morals!? I must have missed that headline...

Again I disagree. The English are markedly more prudish than the rest of the Continent and America as well.

But why is it necessary to display a mainly nude young woman in a newspaper and pretend that it is normal ?

If you are on the beach or in a warm climate like the tropics maybe but in the cold of Britain ?

It is purely for titillation and is salacious. And serves to coarsen society as a whole. These are newspapers and they are supposed to print the truth, to be guardians of public morals. Magazines like Playboy are geared at a particular market as are gun magazines and Soldier of Fortune. They are not guardians of public morals.

I don't see how we are disagreeing - you're saying you don't want something sold to kids. I'm telling you the situation then is not the newspapers, it's that you don't have a law saying "don't sell kids magazines/newspapers/books with naked women in them". That would solve it.

Or are you seriously suggesting kids should be able to buy Playboy but that a half-nude girl should not be in the newspaper to protect them?

Then why are Page 3 Girls possible in your country but not ours? We've got broadcast obscenity fines being increased into the millions over Janet Jackson's covered nipple.

I would say that that's a problem with your media, since that sort of thing IS more mainstream in your country than here.

And if the British decide that that sort of thing is inappropriate to a newspaper- and I certainly agree that it is- then they can boycott those papers or demand that their government take action. The fact that they don't indicates the public voice, I think.

I'm MUCH more concerned that a bunch of PC bureaucrats [bureaucracy = an ancient Greek word meaning 'rule by file cabinets'] are trying to impose a standard on a member state's media when that member really doesn't want it OR need it.

Read this:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/06/22/do2202.xml

JG

Then why are Page 3 Girls possible in your country but not ours? We've got broadcast obscenity fines being increased into the millions over Janet Jackson's covered nipple.

I would say that that's a problem with your media, since that sort of thing IS more mainstream in your country than here.

And if the British decide that that sort of thing is inappropriate to a newspaper- and I certainly agree that it is- then they can boycott those papers or demand that their government take action. The fact that they don't indicates the public voice, I think.

I'm MUCH more concerned that a bunch of PC bureaucrats [bureaucracy = an ancient Greek word meaning 'rule by file cabinets'] are trying to impose a standard on a member state's media when that member really doesn't want it OR need it.

Read this:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2004/06/22/do2202.xml

JG

Libertarians of the world unite!

You have nothing to lose but..uh, your nude pics on page 3?

I broke it with' date=' "Get a life, and then get out."[/quote']

Didn't you mean to get out first' date=' then get a life? :D[/quote']

I've always preferred: Act like a radiologist -- get a half-life! (Mainly cause I made it up myself)

That Australian whom even Australians may spit at is responsible.
Australian's have a sense of homour and sense of revenge.

In 1788 many Britians set sail to a new life to the Great Southern Land, Australia. That one was rejected and returned to sender :D.

Also he (or is it 'IT') renounched his Australian citizenship to become an American, so he is not longer one of Us but one of --> Them. ;)