The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I wake up to find grandma has regressed and they are putting her in hospice. She was in physical pain this morning, and not recognizing anyone (Which given enough pain is not surprising). They have her on morphine and lord knows what else trying to help but what I hear is alarming. I thought she was at least getting physically better, but perhaps that was just some last hoorah.

We'll see

Folks, I have received word that earlier tonight, my grandmother passed away. She is believed to have done so without pain and mother was by her side. The family extends its thanks once again to all those who have sent prayers and support. While details of ceremony and legalities will be settled in the days to come, the important thing is this: She is now at peace and going to once again be with my grandfather.

Folks' date=' I have received word that earlier tonight, my grandmother passed away. She is believed to have done so without pain and mother was by her side. The family extends its thanks once again to all those who have sent prayers and support. While details of ceremony and legalities will be settled in the days to come, the important thing is this: She is now at peace and going to once again be with my grandfather.[/quote']

My sincere condolences.

Folks' date=' I have received word that earlier tonight, my grandmother passed away. She is believed to have done so without pain and mother was by her side. The family extends its thanks once again to all those who have sent prayers and support. While details of ceremony and legalities will be settled in the days to come, the important thing is this: She is now at peace and going to once again be with my grandfather.[/quote']

I'm sorry to hear that, Hermit.

The only way I got thru my dad's funeral was to remember he was no longer in a body that had failed him, and was in a better place. And it only partly helps because I still miss him 6 years later.

Oh' date=' trust me. Selfish bastage that I am I bitterly resent her loss and likely always will, but another part is very glad she can't be hurt anymore.[/quote']

I lost my uncle back in March. I had similar feelings, but ended up leaning towards the "glad he can't be hurt anymore" phase much more. Still feel that way even now.

My condolences.

Just to inject a brief, hopeful note into this thread: I normally suffer from mild cyclical depression, but because of my pending divorce this had worsened considerably. I got my psychiatrist's approval to up the dosage on my "vitamin P"(I was taking the minimum), and in the past couple days my depression has essentially subsided/disappeared. Score one for modern psychotropics! Now, I'm still getting divorced, which sucks, but at least I can make it through my days and stay productive and stable.

joy.

I've been made a pallbearer

Last time I was a pallbearer it was for my grandfather years ago and I nearly dropped him. I'm not any less of a wet noodle now in the arm strength department.

And it's a two day process (also fun) visitation tomorrow for two hours in the evening, then the funeral march Friday afternoon. My fear of Murphy being an optimist makes me think the odds of me screwing something up just doubled.

I had just been posted to Ramstein AB, Germany, when my 78-year-old grandmother passed away, only the second death of someone close I had experienced (the first being my second-oldest sister in 1972, a casualty of the '60s drug culture.

She had not been experiencing failing health or significantly diminished capacity, so it came as a complete surprise to me that she had passed away. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was informed of her Death days after she had passed away (the same day as her funeral).

In the summer of 1988, My Dad, diagnosed with "invasive" cancer"* just four months earlier, my Dad passed away from his disease. He was only lucid perhaps a week before he began his rapid decline, and my family got me home just about a month before he finally passed. I was the "Man of the house", so I was the one who had to get training at the hospital to use an aspirator to get excessive fluid from my dad's lungs. It wasn't so much to prolong at this point, but to just help him get more oxygen. When he died a few days later, I remember saying to myself "He's at peace, it's over".

It was the first death I ever had to contend with that didn't come as a complete surprise. For once, I wasn't devastated, but merely saddened. Then the penny dropped. I wasn't grieving so hord that he was gone, because I had been grieving his diminished capacity and imminent loss for months beforehand. The important thing is that you were there for your grandmother (and other, surviving relatives) when you were needed. You were there for her.and, someday, yoiu hope that someone will be willing to see you off when it's time. We're all going to the grave, eventually. It is up to us to make those few years mean something. It sounds like you've been doing your part admirably, and I salute you for it.

*Seriously. Is there "noninvasive cancer"?