The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Do what I've started doing. Avoid the political threads. Heck, cut down on your board time. It's done wonders for my outlook on life.

Nobody's saying much that's new anyways. All the information being presented is slanted toward the particular bias of the presenter.

Discource has ended, and people are just yelling at each other without seeking any understanding of anyone else's positions.

Not just here, and in fact we're better than most. But it seems that rational discussion about anything important has been crushed under a blaze of partisan bickering and "I'm right, you suck."

D

But - what if I AM right and what if you DO suck? :D

In a cranky mood, I can believe that... (though not necessarily about you Mister Death, I can't recall you annoying me)

I've found I'm much happier' date=' and much more productive, due to my reduction in board time. Quiting MS hasn't hurt my spirits either - that's an experience that just keeps getting better with each passing day. I came to a realization - I don't listen to talk radio, why would I read the political threads? Avoiding them is your first key to board harmony. Moderating your board time is the second.[/quote']

Love the new avatar, nice! And good to see you back, you've been gone a few solid days, haven't you?

Rachel's beyond cranky. :( Finally got the Internet Security software installed, and the e-mail won't connect, no matter what we do. She's currently, at one in the morning, beating the stuffing out of her heavy bag. :(

Time to call our computer friend over for another home cooked meal.

Love the new avatar' date=' nice! And good to see you back, you've been gone a few solid days, haven't you?[/quote']

Thanks!

I was gone for a few weeks and now I'm logging in once or twice a week. Productivity is becoming habitual.

Excellent, good deal, I like to hear "productivity". Picking up slowly but surely myself, particularly as the "big bad" (the massive software) at work is now contained in a cage, however threatening it may remain. More engagements to finish the last recording, more actual gaming-related stuff (not just talk), etc.. Still thinking I"ll be a "regular" here for the foreseeable future but less evenings as the summer picks up.

Guest Skaramine

I have a Hewlett Packard Pavillion a220n. It runs on Windows XP - an ordinarily WONDERFUL computer. Fresh and less than a year old.

I have a Logitech Pagescan Color scanner. It was a wonderful scanner on my old machine.

I just found out that the drivers do not work with the new computer.

Can you say irate?

Rachel, your Nemesis drawing is going to be a while. :(

Last I heard we were playing Desires tomorrow, and then again two weeks from now. We had discussed playing Desires next week as well to give Klytus more time to plan his new campaign, but hadn't decided.

So, what stuff do I need to bring tomorrow?

Doc

Bring Champions stuff.

You'll receive the appologies for taking you for granted in person.

So, last year on my contract, I wrote up a document on how to do remote installs of our OS's with either PXE or a floppy.

Tested it out, worked great, several people used it. However, for some reason the team lead forgot this when I left and a bunch of non-floppy stations just sat around and were tossed after a bit.

I wouldn't of even known this until I was given some of the "good" machines that actually have floppies.

Conversation:

Him: "Yea, you can install these, not like those without floppies"

Me: "What about the procedure you had me write up? The one we used to install those forty machines for distribution testing?"

Him: "I remember you had a problem with that."

Me: "Um, yeah, it took a day of research into pxe & dhcp servers. Then it was a snap"

Him: "oh"

No wonder I've felt discouraged into figuring out better methods.

Watch out, it's a trap!

(sorry, couldn't resist, and I'm sure things will work out just fine)

::hiding a baseball bat, drenched in Melvin's blood, behind his back::

C'mere, Zorn....I got something I want to show you....

Guest Skaramine

In the immortal words of Bruce Campell...

"It's a trick. Get an axe."

Uh, hang on, my friend Skaramine just has to give me a present, which I'll be handing to you...

(sorry!)

Melvin, you stupid little cuss, I can't believe you let me slip up with that one, and egged me on even, here, let me show you the butt of the axe first - see that? That would hurt, right?

WELL THIS WILL SURE AS HELL HURT WORSE! (SPLAT with the BUSINESS end, not the butt, of the axe!)

(Klytus, does that help? You want to take a turn?)

So, last year on my contract, I wrote up a document on how to do remote installs of our OS's with either PXE or a floppy.

Tested it out, worked great, several people used it. However, for some reason the team lead forgot this when I left and a bunch of non-floppy stations just sat around and were tossed after a bit.

I wouldn't of even known this until I was given some of the "good" machines that actually have floppies.

Conversation:

Him: "Yea, you can install these, not like those without floppies"

Me: "What about the procedure you had me write up? The one we used to install those forty machines for distribution testing?"

Him: "I remember you had a problem with that."

Me: "Um, yeah, it took a day of research into pxe & dhcp servers. Then it was a snap"

Him: "oh"

No wonder I've felt discouraged into figuring out better methods.

Grrrr, that is bad. That is a rant in itself, the docs we generate and then nobody looks at. And the thing is people hate doing them in the first place. SO WHY NOT FORESTALL DOING IT AGAIN BY USING THOSE DOCS?!

Guest Skaramine

On another message board, I'm in a debate with a 16-year old who thinks, because his daddy is an officer in the US military, knows everything about the Iraq war and our President's content of bovine scatology.

I present facts. He presents vague responses and rah-rah "Yeah man, we were in their face! Not like under Clinton, and I'm going to ignore your presented evidence about how many Iraqi aircraft and ground defenses were blown to smithereens by the US Navy across the eight years Clinton was on watch over Iraq."

Guest Skaramine

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

We've argued this stuff before. He's quite dismissive of history and facts - just the vague lies used by Bush and Limbaugh and the others of their ilk to bolster his half-plausible mental machinations.

Though, in the past we've degenerated into full-blown cuss wars.

Then again, this is a kid who thought the recent Walking Tall movie was better than Hellboy.

On another message board, I'm in a debate with a 16-year old who thinks, because his daddy is an officer in the US military, knows everything about the Iraq war and our President's content of bovine scatology.

I present facts. He presents vague responses and rah-rah "Yeah man, we were in their face! Not like under Clinton, and I'm going to ignore your presented evidence about how many Iraqi aircraft and ground defenses were blown to smithereens by the US Navy across the eight years Clinton was on watch over Iraq."

What's really cool is in 10 years he'll be on these boards doing the same thing...

(i.e., what's really NOT cool...)

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Or as Hegel (I believe, if not it's another German philosopher) said, "If the facts don't fit the theory, so much for the facts." I always liked that one.

It's sort of like "Oh I will ignore that cite, it's from a biased source!" (not that I'm saying I haven't done that one myself - but when the cite is something like Fox news or ABC, you have to at least go to the trouble of a counter-cite, don't you!??)

Guest Skaramine

What's really cool is in 10 years he'll be on these boards doing the same thing...

(i.e., what's really NOT cool...)

Well... I doubt this kid has the kind of imagination for roleplaying games.

I mean, he's a Tom Clancy fan, for Christ's sake.