The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Cranky? Cranky?! I'm so ill with emotion my stomach hurts. I'm so fed up, I have a headache that not even 4 asprin or tylonol at one time will dull.

The worst part of it is... there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

So I sit through a friggin' meeting that basically revolves around my job, which hasn't had much in the way of direct support for the last year, and everyone uses it as a forum to point their fingers at me as to why things are going wrong. I'm the one who's behind, or I'm the one who doesn't have clear procedures, or whatever.

Well, I'm the one writing all the friggin' procedures, so if they don't like 'em they can do 'em themselves. And if I'm behind maybe it's because three departments hit me with their full catalog of documentation at the same time--60+ documents averaging 7 pages apiece--and expected me to live up to my "10 day turnaround time" as quoted in procedure.

I swear, these people don't know how lucky they are we don't have a bell tower nearby.

Okay, I think it's passed now...

So I go out and get myself a new and improved sound card so Ages of Empires II: Conquerors, doesn't lock up on me anymore (there is a known problem with it and the AWE 63 Sound Blaster). The game still freezes my entire computer. Fine. I figure maybe its because I got a different Creative Labs card. I get a more generic one - same problem. Obviously, it ain;t the sound card. So I give up on AoE for a while and plug in the new expansion to Civ III. Guess what happens...? Yep. Computer freeze.

It only does this while I'm playing games... but still, this kind of consistent falure is not a good sign. ::muttermuttergrumble::

The next step is to wait for the next paycheck and buy a new hard drive.

So I go out and get myself a new and improved sound card so Ages of Empires II: Conquerors' date=' doesn't lock up on me anymore (there is a known problem with it and the AWE 63 Sound Blaster). The game [i']still [/i]freezes my entire computer. Fine. I figure maybe its because I got a different Creative Labs card. I get a more generic one - same problem. Obviously, it ain;t the sound card. So I give up on AoE for a while and plug in the new expansion to Civ III. Guess what happens...? Yep. Computer freeze.

It only does this while I'm playing games... but still, this kind of consistent falure is not a good sign. ::muttermuttergrumble::

Or a new computer!

:D

sorry.

I must be getting cynical as I grow old. I have become convinced that on the list of human needs…

1. Air

2. Food

3. Sex

4. Being right

I swear, aside from food, sex or air, the one thing people bitch about the more than anything is about how right they are, how angry they are that nobody else agrees with them, and/or how it is impossible it is that they are wrong. People will hold grudges because they are “rightâ€. People will start flame wars over being right. People will start REAL wars over being right. And these same people would sooner rip out their own kidneys with a spoon rather than admit that maybe… just maybe… they’re wrong.

I could not agree more.

And most of the time these people who work so very had to make sure everyone knows that they are right, secretly know that they are wrong. They may not admit it to themselves, but deep down they know they're wrong.

As soon as I notice that someone is trying to establish that their position is unassailable, I get out of there. Because you can smell the pointless argument coming.

Doc

So I go out and get myself a new and improved sound card so Ages of Empires II: Conquerors' date=' doesn't lock up on me anymore (there is a known problem with it and the AWE 63 Sound Blaster). The game [i']still [/i]freezes my entire computer. Fine. I figure maybe its because I got a different Creative Labs card. I get a more generic one - same problem. Obviously, it ain;t the sound card. So I give up on AoE for a while and plug in the new expansion to Civ III. Guess what happens...? Yep. Computer freeze.

Sheesh, sorry Klytus. I suppose maybe you should take that chainsaw advice... (see above).

Anyway, I really hope your luck turns for the better quickly.

Just buy a friggin' PS2 and quit worrying about crashes and drivers and all that. Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time one of my PC gamer friends had to reload his machine (and call my cell phone to walk him through it), I could buy Hero Games.

Sure, console graphics don't get updated every six months, but do they need to be? SOCOM II is still more fun than it has a right to be.

q: what happens when you have a blue funk and so many things to do at once and your confidence level went from 85% to 15% to do them?

a: my mid-probation performance meeting went for me badly. These last two days have been black cloud days. Tomorrow the weather don't look like to improve.

I was thinking of answering the points raised at the meeting, but feel so down I can't seem to care enough to bother to write it. I did think about what I would write, but I'm having a "5:15" moment: "Why should I care, why should I care?"

The more I think about it, the more I see their point, however much I disagree with it. And I can anticipate their response, which doesn't do me any good. Feel like I'm been ambushed, in a sense betrayed and taken things out of proportion, well to a degree.

Things did seem to slightly improve in the afternoon, but two blasted travel arrangements, are holding me back. No matter what I ssem to do to finish them, they are like a bad super-villian always returning at the wrong moment. And that one of them is the boss and he leaves first day next month isn't doing my confidence any good.

Given a choice, I'd rather not go to work tomorrow and take a sickie, but that can't happen unfortunately. Sure my blue funk may lead to sickness (ie the common cold) due to my emotional funk, but that is only a possibility.

It's been a little theaputic writing this, hope your day is better. Bazza out. ;)

When a man is running from his boss

Who hold a gun that fires "cost"

And when your soul tells you to hide

Your very right to die denied

And in the battle on the streets

You fight computers and receipts

And when a man is trying to change

But only causes further pain

You realize that all along

Something in us going wrong...

You stop dancing.

Thanks Pete. Felt like that today.

But there is a positive to this story, how horrible it is. At lunch to my surprise I found a book of about a guy who wrote about horror -- HPL. I saw about bought Lovecraft at Last, a book about the cooresspondence between HPL and a young fan. The ironic thing is that the person who introduced me to HPL, well it was his birthday yesterday. Dann late birthday presents, another thing to be cranky about. :D

Sorry to hear it's tough going, sometimes things have a way of breaking for the better unexpectedly.

Sometimes the probationary periods are deliberately tough and it's much easier after, the toughness being more in that they want to test limits rather than necessarily be so make-and-break.

Just saw your other note, so edited this - what kind of work?

How G*****N F*****G STUPID can some people be? Particularly people who are otherwise bright in some respects? This guy at work can be so on top of things and then blow the simplest s**t. And the thing is, when he does that, there's no warning, he doesn't even have the slightest damn clue, and it's often something so elemental you don't think to ask it, like "did you remember you have to breathe in order to take in oxygen?" Shejebesus, this gripes me.

On top of it, here's the thing, I normally wait in the AM to go over to the cafeteria with someone, and he seems to run later these days; it's getting to the point where I'm going to have to "break it off" as when I call at the earlier times we used to head over, he acts surprised and rushed. Well, I get here at 6:40 AM, by 7 AM I want to go and get a little something and a soda and relax for a few minutes, once the early AM email rush is done and there's time. Now the day is getting underway, this stupid crap is going on, and by the time we head over to the cafeteria there's no time to get something to eat as now I'm too rushed and as the day has begun I am pissed off and fed up already.

Of course it is already 8 AM and we are supposed to have started our meeting but the amazing Lacks Common Sense Man is trying to figure out how to arrange something now. To be more specific, when I found him this AM to say, "so where are we having this videoconference" he is all surprised and confused it's a videoconference, instead somehow assuming - for no reason whatsoever - that we must be doing this via a web presentation or similar, though never having discussed that. He was annoyed and pissed off that nobody got back to him about the "phone number" to call over the last 2 days. Well, then, why not f**king ask somebody, why not escalate it? As I'm trying to be nice, he's just called me and then starts COMPLAINING about no one having gotten back to him, so then I am forced to start explaining simple escalations and bringing up an issue ahead of time. He's giving excuses, jesum marimba what the bloody hell, I am not about to listen to excuses and it's only getting me more upset, but I realize as well from many prior excuses this guy does NOT have the slightest clue when to keep his frigging mouth shut and just say, "ok, I screwed up, got it," instead the motherfrooger just babbles and tries to "explain" micro-details that are irrelevant.

Oh this will be a simply lovely meeting, as we're showing people a tool they don't want to use anyway.... :rolleyes:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I do not own a gun...

Or a new computer!

:D

sorry.

That's the next next step...

Just buy a friggin' PS2 and quit worrying about crashes and drivers and all that. Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time one of my PC gamer friends had to reload his machine (and call my cell phone to walk him through it), I could buy Hero Games.

Sure, console graphics don't get updated every six months, but do they need to be? SOCOM II is still more fun than it has a right to be.

For as few games as I do play, that would be a waste of money. Besides, this machine I have has performed reliably for 3 years now - these recentl problems are the only ones that have been bad enough for me to actually complain about. Besides, as I am a computer tech myself, I don't need to bug you on your cell phone for this kind of thing ...

Sorry to hear it's tough going, sometimes things have a way of breaking for the better unexpectedly.

Sometimes the probationary periods are deliberately tough and it's much easier after, the toughness being more in that they want to test limits rather than necessarily be so make-and-break.

Just saw your other note, so edited this - what kind of work?

The kind of work is administration with a bit of finance/accounting.

Also of note, the level of the position is a "4" my previous work experience has been at the "1" level. The qualifications I have (unused BTW) put me at that "4" level. The previous jobs at the "1" level have been below what I should be able to do and to a degree found them less challanging that his one. So I reckon it shouldn't be a surprise that I'm underperforming, as I've got a steep curve to get up to and then maintain.

The kind of work is administration with a bit of finance/accounting.

Also of note, the level of the position is a "4" my previous work experience has been at the "1" level. The qualifications I have (unused BTW) put me at that "4" level. The previous jobs at the "1" level have been below what I should be able to do and to a degree found them less challanging that his one. So I reckon it shouldn't be a surprise that I'm underperforming, as I've got a steep curve to get up to and then maintain.

I hope they recognize the leap and adjust their evaluation and education plans accordingly. Good luck.

Smile!

Drive by Perkyness! :yes::D:bounce:

Run awaaaaaaaaaay!! :eek:

hehehehehehe :rofl:

sounds of sirens!

:coach: Pull over!

(cranky thread police)

Do you have a permit to be Perky in the Cranky thread?

If not I'm gonna have to give you a ticket!!:tsk: