The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I think a lot of people grow complacent with their spouses, and forget to appreciate them for who they are. It's an easy enough thing to do; we humans take an awful lot of things for granted. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone." The beauty of that statement is the implied reminder that it COULD be gone.

I've heard about this seven-year-itch thing, which is approaching in 2008 for me and Josh. The idea of it used to make me nervous, until I looked at the underlying factors of what must cause this phenomenon. By then, the honeymoon's well over, many people have children contending for their time and energy, and you've gotten used to one another.

Well, Josh and I still act like newlyweds in many ways, no kids yet, and Josh is constantly reminding me (just by being such a wonderful person) that he's a husband any woman should feel lucky to have.

I think we'll do just fine. ^ v ^

(Context: the kitchen is two doors down and across the hall from my office.; my office door is closed.)

* Sound of dropped breaking glass.

* Muffled conversation.

* Muffled conversation with more participants.

* Sounds of broken glass being swept up. Muffled conversation continues.

* Sweeping sounds end. Conversation dwindles.

Wonder if it's safe to go nuke my can of soup yet.

Smells before 8 A.M.:

Peanut Butter

Stale Drool

Someone cooking some nasty kind of sausage elsewhere in the building

Fresh Drool

Milk Vomit

Secondhand smoke from some exotic cigarillo

Diesel fumes

Children's Benadryl (Cherry Flavor)

Carpet Cleaner

Lysol

Laundry Detergent

Bleach

Febreze

Sigh. I deliberately did not set my alarm clock because my wife has all-day training today, so I had to stay home and see the kids off to school.

So ... she bollixed her alarm clock setting, and ended up frantically rushing out of the house, doomed to being at least 20 minutes late.

Fortunately, the kids managed to get on their buses. Which is good, because I discovered when I went out to it that my truck's battery is stone cold dead. How it got that way is a matter for later examination. I got myself on a different bus and will get home the same way.

Got into work on time this morning, but the elevators weren't working. (Our floor is locked down after hours and on weekends.) Security guard apologized, and said that the elevators hadn't been re-set for Daylight Savings Time, so they still thought it was 6am. All I could say was "I know just how they feel..." ;)

Huge, fatal car accident this morning on the highway. Blocked all the traffic on the main highway, which redirected it to my route. Another car accident on the three miles I drive of THAT main road. Traffic blocked up like you wouldn't believe.

I've NEVER seen traffic like that in Asheville. And to learn the accident that caused all that was fatal . . . :(

It's bad enough a helicopter crashed here killing some hapless vacationers; must there be wall to wall media coverage for an entire week following the event? Especially when absolutely no new information comes up from one day to the next. There were no witnesses and the NTSB isn't talking. Quit running the same front page story.

I dunno; I think the fact that a major highway here is going to be blocked off until at least 4 PM, and that there was an oil spill is going to be news for a while, here. And of course we have to milk the family members' grief for the public . . . :rolleyes:

I see this having news potential for at least that long. The oil spill, perhaps even longer. Except that Arden is Asheville's dumping ground. I mean, we're all already breathing the particles from the oil-burning plant; what's a little oil in the aquifer between friends?

Yeah. Not so happy anymore.

Just found out the CSR here complained/cried to the owner of the company last week about not being able to get everything done every week. So, by order of the owner, she is to turn over the issuing of RMA's (returned-material-something or other) to our department...which means me.

Yeah. Like I'll get it done in a more timely manner than her? I have to invoice for 2 companies every day, enter payables for 2 companies, pull invoices to match with check stubs, and file those invoices and check-stubs. I have no time to f-in learn and issue RMA's.

I'm telling ya, if she'd learn to manage her time better (which means spend less time complaining she's got too much to do and kissing a@@ at the same time), she could get her job done and not be so stressed.

No idea when this will be handed over to me, but, I'm not happy about it.

And to what Hell will the most evil and depraved Sinners be sent ?

To an Eternal Bar or Bat Mitzvah reception where they will have to wait through endless prayers, blessings and dances for the Caterers to START SERVING THE FOOD !!!!! Those who try to snatch so much as a crust of bread will be subjected to an eternal chant of "We're not open yet......We're not open yet......". The food will also be lousy. :mad:

Edit: They'll also be forced to wear pantyhose designed for Callista Flockhart.

Dear colleague:

Today you told my superior that I am "not responsive to e-mail". So I went back to see which of your emails I was not responsive to. It turns out that you haven't emailed me all year. If you want me to be more responsive, perhaps you should try giving me something to respond to. Perhaps you should try not making baseless accusations about me to other people. I do nothing but put out the fires that you and your department ignite on a daily basis, and what do I get? Stabbed in the back. Because you can't wait another 48 hours for your new laptop. My toddler is more reasonable than you. I'll tell you what: if you think I am unresponsive to your tantrums, then fine. So shall it be henceforth.

Most sincerely,

Old Man

Having a cold/flu sucks.

At least the presentation for my MBA class yesterday went well, or at least, I'm not going to be self-critical when it felt like I had a freakin' migraine. I did my best, my fellow students thought it was good, and that's all there is to it.

Stayed home today though... my organization doesn't mind if you take a sick day occasionally. In fact, if we're contagious, they'd rather we stayed home anyway.

And now I can read the 8 freakin' articles for my new class starting Saturday. Nothing like giving us plenty of reading...

Well, the battery held a charge after leaving it on the trickle charger for 24 hours. And after putting it in the truck, it had the oomph to start it 12 hours later. And watching the meter on the dash, it seemed to be getting current as I drove from home to the park-and-ride.

So that leaves me with one of those gnaw-at-the-pit-of-your-stomach puzzles. How'd the battery get so far down we couldn't even jump-start the truck? I know I didn't leave the headlights on...