The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Okay, so ... I'm driving to work yesterday. I get to an intersection, with one lane clearly marked turn right only, one lane clearly marked go straight only, one lane clearly marked go left only. I pull into the left lane, blinker on. Someone pulls over into the lane beside me, which is the one for going straight. No blinker (at least not that I could see).

SHE BLOODY TURNS LEFT.

We bump sides, pull into a nearby parking lot, and she starts to read me the riot act about my bad driving, by insulting my parentage and intelligence. I just-shy-of-physically drag her back to the intersection and show her the markings which say 'me right, you wrong'.

It was hilarious watching her trying to keep blaming me after I showed that it was blatantly her fault, but I kept it cool. We went back, checked the vehicles for damage (none to speak of), and then, with one of those expressions that indicates physical pain, she attempted to apologize.

Now, if she hadn't automatically assumed I was in the wrong, I might have accepted it. I still might have actually considered it, but the insults pretty much meant no happy endings for her. A few choice 'colorful metaphors' of my own, as Mr. Spock once put it, and then I climbed in my truck and drove off.

I now know the true meaning of the word 'catharsis'.

Can I put in a few words about idiots in parking lots? unfortunately in this case, the idiot was probably me, but let me get your opinion....

I climb into truck, start it up, put it in reverse so my reverse light is on, look over my right shoulder, see the pedestrian standing there, wave her past me (i'm in a parking space that require me to back up to get out) - look over my right shoulder, not see too much because of the Saturn SUV planet parked next to me, start backing out and hit some one trying to get past me.

and now my hip hurts.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ah yes, that annual creative angsty writing exercise, the self-appraisal form prerequisite to yearly evaluations. A stressful timesink of the same order as one's first 7th-grade love note, and even less productive. Ptui.

I avoid three accidents on my way from Vegas to Kanab today. I'm in the right lane, jerk zips by me and starts tailgating slow guy in front of him, who starts to go slower since we're going up a hill. I maintain speed and start to go past, no biggie, but there is a truck who is going slower than all of us. At my present speed, I'll pass everyone without a problem. Jerk decides as I'm next to him to zip around. Fortunetly, no one on the side of the road since that's where I get to drive while braking.

Stopping in Mesquite another person runs a red as I'm about to go thru the intersection. Braking again.

And then a Suburban decided to pass on a blind curve in the Arizona Strip. Almost went off the pavement to avoid him.

That plus the stress at work really made my day.

Unfamiliarity with a platform

+ self-righteous attitude of said platform about how easy it is to install & use stuff

+ no-installs lockdown policy (that is, the typical university's overreaction to RIAA suits)

+ inability of the mommy-may-I arbitrarily-powered "help"-desk idiots to get non-copyrighted open-source stuff onto a desktop

= a damn fine way to inspire passionate, lifetime hatred for a particular platform

+ self-righteous attitude of said platform about how easy it is to install & use stuff

+ no-installs lockdown policy (that is, the typical university's overreaction to RIAA suits)

+ inability of the mommy-may-I arbitrarily-powered "help"-desk idiots to get non-copyrighted open-source stuff onto a desktop

= a damn fine way to inspire passionate, lifetime hatred for a particular platform

Which platform?

Ah, I feel the same about the Windows drones at my place. They do exist for all platforms, so I would say hate the people, not the platform for that. You may have plenty of valid reasons anyway. ;)

I recognize that. It really is impressive how fast the IT Director position changed from being "Computers are great! Everyone should use them!" back in the late '70s to being Comrade No, the Clueless Rationing Commissar whose self-defined function is to block everyone & everything having to do with computing which is the de facto function now.

Heh. That recalls so many old jokes from the VAX era ...

"How can you tell the DEC service guy on the side of the freeway?"

"He's the guy changing all four of his tires to figure out which one is flat."

"How can you tell the DEC service guy on the side of the freeway?"

"He's the guy changing all four of his tires to figure which one caused his headlight to burn out."

etc.

The door on my computer's DVD opens up by itself whenever I turn on the computer. It won't stay closed unless I manually keep the door from opening. I've had that problem for over a month now.

What the heck is wrong with that thing? :mad:

Or is it just haunted? :fear:

The door on my computer's DVD opens up by itself whenever I turn on the computer. It won't stay closed unless I manually keep the door from opening. I've had that problem for over a month now.

What the heck is wrong with that thing? :mad:

Or is it just haunted? :fear:

Does it say "FEED ME!"