The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

First day at work today.

I had no PC, and half a desk.

That's pretty good. Here, when someone gets hired, I'm lucky if I have any advance notice at all. So I can set them up with webmail and intranet access in maybe an hour depending on fires, but it takes at least a week to get a new laptop through channels, and then it has to get configured.

long story' date=' but bad teeth are kinda a family trait, something I wish I'd known before all that drinking in my 20's...[/quote']

OTOH I have great teeth, only 1 cavity in my whole life...but my gums are crap. Recurring periodontal disease, no matter how much I brush & floss. Lost 5 teeth in the last 2 years, another 2 are dicey... :(

Let's see: I haven't been sleeping decently for weeks so I'm tired all the time, Wife's sick, I'm spending all my "free" time on logistics for someone else, I've had to cancel the last two game nights, we seem to be hemorrhaging money lately, I've got another %^#$@!! cold sore, we're out of OJ, and the milk is sour. Did I miss anything?

"I can only assume I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate." - Ivanova

The dishwasher needs unloading and reloading, the bed needs to be made, the cat boxes need to be done, the laundry is piled high, I have to pack for HeroCon, I have to go to the Dentist today, I didn't get to Karate this week and I'm just too depressed to do anything. I hope the B Complex I just took helps.

OTOH I have great teeth' date=' only 1 cavity in my whole life...but my gums are crap. Recurring periodontal disease, no matter how much I brush & floss. Lost 5 teeth in the last 2 years, another 2 are dicey... :([/quote']

Opposite problem. My teeth have always been perfectly straight, my gums are shockingly healthy (my dentist did a double-take, after having seen my tooth x-rays), but I get a cavity at the drop of a sugar granule. I'm up to brushing twice a day, flossing once, so we'll see how that works out. But I'm not holding out hope that, this time next year, I won't have another round of novocaine and drilling and the sore jaw.

There was the problem of not having enough room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth to come in, and they tried to shove their way in sideways, but that was a relatively quick procedure, followed by a week of being unable to eat anything harder than oatmeal. That I've put behind me. But my bad enamel will plague me the rest of my days, until everything behind my canines is a realistic-looking crown.

Add to this the fact that I have extra nerves in my mouth (most people have one to three nerves per tooth; I have two to five) and that I'm resistant to novocaine, and the dentist is NOT my favorite person.

OTOH I have great teeth' date=' only 1 cavity in my whole life...but my gums are crap. Recurring periodontal disease, no matter how much I brush & floss. Lost 5 teeth in the last 2 years, another 2 are dicey... :([/quote']

yeah.. hubby is heading that direction, but I can't get him to brush his teeth to save his life.... I might have to stop kissing him in the mornings...

I was really looking forward to going to bed early tonight, for once. But one of the zillions of messages in my email before I went to bed was an overtemperature notice from one of the boxes in the data center. How over? I wondered. Well, the ambient temperature in there was 120 degrees.

Uh oh.

So I log in and start shutting down the non-critical boxes, hoping to keep the place from overheating. But as I shut down the last of them, first the DNS server goes, and then everything else.

Now I'm sitting here in the living room, way past when I was tired enough to go to bed, waiting for the A/C repairman to call me back. But judging from what my guy tells me is the error message on the A/C unit, it's not the kind of thing that's going to get fixed tonight.

So it's the first working day after sunday's server room meltdown. My phone and email are blowing up with people demanding that I bring up their 'critical' machines, but of course, the a/c is still busted and if I bring all of it up, the server room will melt down again. Meanwhile, there's a run on demo gear, since word got around that we have 'lots' of demo gear available, when in fact we have less than half a dozen, and they're all booked until end of year. And I got people riding me because I'm not done with their powerpoint yet. I got news for you, folks, if your frickin' powerpoint can't wait, do it yourself.

I wish the Do not call list was a bit faster kicking in than "sometime in the next 30 days". I am so sick of the phone ringing and ringing with junk calls. I have caller ID so I never answer them, but the constant ringing is a real pain. If any of you Guys ever become Ruler of the World, Telemarketing is the first thing that should GO.