The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Or calls from nonprofits.

I have my landline (which is a cordless phone) plugged into a power strip with the switch in easy reach. So I can look at the caller ID and, if necessary, switch off the phone. It'd still be better if it didn't ring in the first place though.

I wish the Do not call list was a bit faster kicking in than "sometime in the next 30 days". I am so sick of the phone ringing and ringing with junk calls. I have caller ID so I never answer them' date=' but the constant ringing is a real pain. If any of you Guys ever become Ruler of the World, Telemarketing is the first thing that should GO.[/quote']

Yep. They all will be fed into the meat grinders. Not necessarily the poor schlubs that have to make the calls, but the ones that hired them.

Looks like I need to call Old Man. :sneaky:

"You've done nothing but watch football today!"

Woman, we've lived in the same house now for eight football seasons. Every Sunday during football season, I do nothing but watch football. I did it eight years ago. I did it five years ago. I did it last year. I'm doing it this year.

At some point I wouldn't mind if this ceased being a surprise to you.

Ah, yes, that would be like the time I spent three days troubleshooting a COBOL program only to discover that the version I was using was case-sensitive. And then for a really good laugh, try doing intensive string handling in C, especially at 3 in the morning. Star star ampersand ampersand!

What is worse is re-remembering that the language ISN'T case sensitive, and the big T variable is inheriting random crap from the little t variable, causing utterly unpredictable behavior in your numerical convergence loop.

Well, this is via my wife voicemail, so I have doubts that the phrase is the same as what the mechanic said. I'll see what the invoice actually says.

Anyway, assuming the thing runs, I will be very happy. Friday I can haul a load of junk to the transfer station, and the junk won't include the truck itself.

Y'know, that information would've been REAL helpful, when I started this project, THREE WEEKS AGO! :mad:

And now not only do time constraints make it impossible to fix, but the fix wouldn't even necessarily work because one would have to be a frickin' mind reader to know which way these files need to be named, because it's DIFFERENT for each manufacturer.

F*** THIS. :bmk: :bmk: :bmk:

Ya know, when I saw the mouse this morning, I knew it was going to be troublesome. We've got three cats, two of whom are still very quick despite their old age. So I grab some gloves to try to pick it up, but it darts away into the dining room . . . where the really, really fast cat is sitting, yowling. She chases it around the table twice, then pounces on it and, before I can do anything, she's running downstairs with it.

Downstairs. Where all the kids' toys are.

So I, of course, go down to find it. And, despite a half-hour of looking, have no luck. What this means is, of course, that at some undetermined point in the future I'm going to hear a scream of ungodly terror as either my five-year-old boy or three-year-old girl move one of their toys to find the partially eaten and dessicated corpse of a once cute and fuzzy mouse underneath.

This being the year 2007 A.D., well into the twenty-first century, you'd think we'd have mastered the technology of air conditioning. What is air conditioning anyway, a pipe, a pump, and a fan? So why does it break down with such alarming regularity? I don't like coming to the office at 10pm on a weekend to find that it's 103 degrees in the server room.

And speaking of crap breaking, I am now going to head back to the office to find out why its internet connection has gone away. Not like I have better things to do on thanksgiving eve. Someone at sprint is going to die a very painful death. A death involving... severed connections.

I'm tired of this cough. I sounded like Cookie Monster the last few days becasue of all the coughing. My voice sounds better now, although it's still raspy.

And I pulled a shoulder muscle last weekend. It's okay now, but it was sore for a few days.

Sick and injured yet again!

I'll put you out of your misery if you put me out of mine. We have dual redundant internet connections, for fck's sake, but of course both Time Warner and Sprint have internal issues right now that have taken us down with them. And when does this occur? Half an hour into Thanksgiving, of course.

Tell you what, don't put me out of my misery, just kill everyone at Time Warner and Sprint. Please.

Oh, and Cookie Monster rocks.

I have had a cough that won't go away for years. For a while, allergy shots helped. Then they stopped helping. My allergist decided it was acid reflux and gave me Nexium. Since I got a cold three weeks ago the cough has been constant and unbearable. The cold is gone but the cough and flem remain. It was really bad tonight at dinner. I have been unable to go to Karate class and sometimes I cough so hard I gag and retch. I could start taking the Nexium again but it makes me run to the bathroom again and again. I sometimes wish there were such things as vampires because if I died and came back this stupid cough would be gone forever. I had a similar problem back in college.