The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

If it was anyone but you, Bill, I'd advise installing a hosts file, which is very simple to do and can be quite effective. Unfortunately, a lot of the ones available out there make it a point to include "adult entertainment" sites among the ones they block, which means you'd need to check the file to make sure you weren't blocking out sites you're supposed to see....

BTW, once I did end up having to give the command "Format C:" to clean out a multi-threat malware parcel that got crammed onto my home box. Wasted weekend, that.

I'd recommend running Spybot - Search & Destroy and installing SpywareBlaster. Spybot is a scanner and SpywareBlaster is a filter. I haven't had any issues since I started using them.

Yup, I got IT to install both. Turns out it was a false alarm; whatever tried to infect me, I caught it in time. But it's good to have the anti-spyware on the computer so I can run 'em regularly.

Yup' date=' I got IT to install both. Turns out it was a false alarm; whatever tried to infect me, I caught it in time. But it's good to have the anti-spyware on the computer so I can run 'em regularly.[/quote']

Just make sure you update them both occasionally (once a week should do), and run Spybot's scan when you update it.

And a big :thumbup: about it being a false alarm! :)

December 3, and I'm already on my third cold of the winter. Just grand. Took the day off today to get a bunch of stuff done (including trying to do a lot of Christmas shopping). Got up, got the kids ready and to school, and went back to bed until noon.

I'd be pissed at my five-year-old for giving me his cold if I hadn't given it to him in the first place.

How does one politely broach the topic when one interacts with said person about once a week? I very much prefer my interactions with this guy to remain as brief as possible.

Me personally? Next time I saw him I'd ask him if he had a second for a brief private word. And then tell him that I dread coming into contact with him because his breath stinks so much. But I'm a pretty blunt guy. :) It means you get more exposure to the odor than you otherwise would, but it might mean that you don't get exposed to it as much in the future.

Failing that, you could go to your boss and let him know that the person's breath makes it very difficult for you to work with them.

Option C is, of course, doing what you currently are doing. :)

Me personally? Next time I saw him I'd ask him if he had a second for a brief private word. And then tell him that I dread coming into contact with him because his breath stinks so much. But I'm a pretty blunt guy. :) It means you get more exposure to the odor than you otherwise would, but it might mean that you don't get exposed to it as much in the future.

Failing that, you could go to your boss and let him know that the person's breath makes it very difficult for you to work with them.

Option C is, of course, doing what you currently are doing. :)

I don't have the same boss he does. I suppose I could talk to HIS boss, but she's pretty nonconfrontational.

I suppose I could go for subtle, and start keeping Altoids in my desk so I could offer him one when he stops by.

I don't have the same boss he does. I suppose I could talk to HIS boss, but she's pretty nonconfrontational.

I suppose I could go for subtle, and start keeping Altoids in my desk so I could offer him one when he stops by.

Even if you don't have the same boss, a lot of the time bosses talk to each other about this kind of thing. Or potentially buck it up the chain until it gets to someone who is over both people. :) Of course I don't have any experience with your workplace.

It's very fractured. While I technically work as "support," there are places where my word could get a person in a lot of trouble. (I don't have any direct supervisory duties, but I do oversee things, and so some training.) The people above my boss work at another office entirely, though he's parallel to someone who has no one below her. She singlehandedly runs the "webstore" department.

He's about parallel to a department manager, though he reports to the same person the store manager does, and his word could get a manager written up. Then again, so could mine, if I had an issue bad enough that I had to go over my boss's head.

It's all very bizarre.