The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

It's very fractured. While I technically work as "support," there are places where my word could get a person in a lot of trouble. (I don't have any direct supervisory duties, but I do oversee things, and so some training.) The people above my boss work at another office entirely, though he's parallel to someone who has no one below her. She singlehandedly runs the "webstore" department.

He's about parallel to a department manager, though he reports to the same person the store manager does, and his word could get a manager written up. Then again, so could mine, if I had an issue bad enough that I had to go over my boss's head.

It's all very bizarre.

Well, keep in mind that I'm not talking about trying to get anyone in trouble. Just letting someone know that their dental care might need to be stepped up a notch. The thing about odors is that if you are around them all the time you stop noticing them. So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't realize there was a problem.

Just offering advice. :)

Well, no, I wouldn't expect to get anyone in trouble over bad breath. I was just illustrating how bizarrely the structuring at my work is set up. It would be rather odd to mention it to my boss's higher-up, as they NEVER talk to this guy. Mentioning it to HIS boss would likely not get it dealt with. Hearing it from me would likely just get me shunned, as I already have something of a reputation for being weird and hard to approach. (Some of that's justified; have you ever tried to concentrate on data entry for hours at a time when people are walking in and talking to you and offering distractions every 5 minutes?)

Well' date=' no, I wouldn't expect to get anyone in trouble over bad breath. I was just illustrating how bizarrely the structuring at my work is set up. It would be rather odd to mention it to my boss's higher-up, as they NEVER talk to this guy. Mentioning it to HIS boss would likely not get it dealt with. Hearing it from me would likely just get me shunned, as I already have something of a reputation for being weird and hard to approach. (Some of that's justified; have you ever tried to concentrate on data entry for hours at a time when people are walking in and talking to you and offering distractions every 5 minutes?)[/quote']

Yes, in fact I have. :) I've done a lot of different things in my life...

If you mention it to him yourself, who do you think would do the shunning? Him or everyone? If just him, well assuming he both shuns you and ignores your request, sounds like a winning situation. :) And if everyone shuns you, then you get more uninterrupted time to do your job. ;)

Personally if some part of my daily hygiene was so offensive that it bothered people for me to be around, I would much rather someone told me (even publicly) rather than just dread me coming around. But then again, I'm pretty weird...

Unfortunately, a good chunk of my performance review is how I'm perceived by others who aren't supervising me. This took a whole point off my average, last time (out of a possible five points). It bemuses me, why my boss would use this against me (especially as I'm given a nebulous "people say you're unapproachable," never with any specifics as to WHY people might think so), so I've gotten into the habit of sitting down, shutting up, answering people's questions as politely and promptly as I know how, and only giving my opinion when it's asked for.

"people say you're unapproachable' date='" so I've gotten into the habit of sitting down, shutting up, answering people's questions as politely and promptly as I know how, and only giving my opinion when it's asked for.[/quote']

Is this... backwards somehow? Anyway, you might consider goofing off more. Seriously. People don't know you, so they fear you. Trust me, I hate being social with many of my coworkers but I do it because in corporate Bizarro world, invisibility is a disadvantage.

Oh. Yeah, problem with that . . . I work in an outdoor store. I don't hike, camp, go kayaking or biking, and I certainly don't fish. Not terribly into sports, and people give me a pitying or disgusted look when I mention I'm a Sox fan. Nobody here reads; I tried to get into a conversation about that with one girl who brought it up, and she made my head hurt.

There isn't much opportunity for socialization in a retail setting.

Okay, why won't Cami stop phoning?

Freaking Feature Films for Families Fraudsters.

Dove Foundation Hacks!

Every day for 40 straight days this stupid semi-automated harpy has called.

Now, I'm a patient guy. But enough's enough!

There's a limit!

They call another 40 days in a row, and I'm going to resort to.. to.. to.. STRONG LANGUAGE!

My boss of about 9 years is retiring at the end of the month.

I have been here in the Department for 12 years. Only one person, not a supervisor, has been here longer.

3 members of the department put in for his position, one had no chance, one had a very slim chance, and one had about 12 years Supervisory experience, 4 or so years in the department, strong family ties to the institution (He, his wife, and his daughter all graduated from here)

So they hired someone from outside. Not absolutely certain who, but the only candidate that fits what we have been told is a very experienced Police Officer.

However, we are NOT a POLICE DEPARTMENT and the mindset here is quite a bit different.

It is possible that he will fit in easily, but a University campus is a rather different environment.

And it kind of indicates that there is no point in trying to move up here... :(

I am a Worrier. Now I have lots of Unknowns to worry about. :nonp:

In many ways I like my job. I get frustrated, but that is life.

I have watched several people come in to other departments from outside and make an absolute hash of things. I remember one new department chair who eliminated the positions occupied by several REALLY nice and apparently competent people, then created new positions that seemed awefully similar to me...

Empire building. :mad:

As If life did not throw enough stress our way.

I suppose I could go for subtle' date=' and start keeping Altoids in my desk so I could offer him one when he stops by.[/quote']

I did that with a coworker once. Offered him an altoid, he said "No thanks", I said, "No, have a breath mint"

But I could be pretty blunt as well. :D

Well, our new assistant manager isn't exactly qualified, but having friends in the corporate office can do wonders. At least the new boss has stopped offending everyone and is trying to make nice with the staff.

As for today's crankiness: Because the lights went out in one of the train stations, it was closed, and I had to take several detours to get home. So a commute that normally takes 30-45 minutes stretched to almost 2 hours.

I have watched several people come in to other departments from outside and make an absolute hash of things. I remember one new department chair who eliminated the positions occupied by several REALLY nice and apparently competent people' date=' then created new positions that seemed awefully similar to me... [/quote']

"Seagull Managers." They fly in, make a lot of annoying and useless noise, crap all over everything, then fly away. :no:

So I get up a little late and skip breakfast. Have a couple of Anadin as I have a headache. It's foggy outside but not too worry.

However there is frost on the ground making it treacherous to move. So I have all the stress of having to move through streets to the bus stop and catch it. Two buses go by and I can't run because of the ground underfoot. Still I get the bus and reach the station and so will be earlier this week than I have been all week.

Except that the station is closed due to overcrowding.

So I catch the Overground luckily and get to Kings Cross five minutes after I would have otherwise. And then have to go back outside again to face the treacherous conditions underfoot as the indoor connections are closed due to slippery floors. And when I get to the two platforms on two lines they are backed up like there is no tomorrow.

So I catch the Northern Line and then someone activates the passenger alarm. We set off and I get to Bank station and then catch the District Line to Victoria. From my start station it should be 20 minutes station to station. An hour later I was still on the train.

If you don't want me in work give me flu and incapactitate me !

How the hell does a five-year-old boy' date=' while sleeping, manage to scratch his cornea? Was he dreaming cockroaches were crawling across his face or something? You ever try to put antibiotic eye drops and then an eye patch on a screaming, fighting five-year-old?[/quote']

Hmm, probably more difficult than putting antibiotic gel into a feral cat's eye.

At least with a cat, it's acceptable to use a net.