The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

3473512409_b7dfab7501.jpg

So this guy was dumped in/near the sanctuary semi-recently. Hard to tell, we've been bouncing between snow and 80 Fahrenheit weather last couple weeks. He's dehydrated and under weight. And the kicker is that he's declawed, so there's goes some food gathering/defense ability. We have coyotes on the property. I'm not happy with some people today, but I'm happy we got him in time. At least I hope we did, sometimes this can take a toll on their system, so we won't know for a couple weeks if there's anything long term.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty dull' date=' huh?[/quote']

Yeah, you basically sit there for 4 hours doing nothing. One dude that was there when I was slept pretty much the whole time. If I weren't right-handed, I could take a pencil and clipboard and work on gamestuff, but I'm not supposed to move that arm if I can help it.

Company Policy is that you need to send in a request for a laptop to be configured for a new-hire two weeks before their start date. Company Policy also sates that we cannot ship a laptop to an end user until HR puts them in the system... you know, to make sure that the people have actually been hired before we give them company equipment. It doesn't matter how early in the day you get HR the paperwork - this is an automated process, and the employee will not appear in the system until the day-after. Thirdly, even when the first two conditions have been met, there is the final bit of Company Policy which states that we cannot deploy a laptop until the hard drive has been fully encrypted. This process can take anywhere from 2 - 8 hours, depending on the system specs and size of the hard drive.

Therefore, when I get two laptops on my desk at 12:15 PM, am told that they need to ship by the end of the day, where the intended end-users are not in the system yet, and there is no hope the encryption will be done before the last FedEx pickup anyway, please do not be disappointed when I tell you, "It ain't gonna happen."

Yes, I know how important it is for you to get these machines. Yes, multi-million dollar project. Yes, new-hires on site with no computers for them to do their work. Yes, we look incapable in front of the client. I get that. Alas, explaining all of that to me isn't going to make the crap I can't do anything about happen any faster. How about you actually follow Procedure next time? You know... the one that was designed to prevent this very thing from happening in the first place? Amazingly enough, the Project Managers who follow Policy almost never have this problem.

**sighs**

Not only do the idiots keep breeding, they keep getting promoted to positions of responsibility, too.

I loathe text processors that attempt to do things for you, because almost inevitably they do the wrong things for you, and figuring out to to get what you really want despite them is much more work than simple typing.

Maybe I should go back to troff.

• 2 weeks later...

Siegfried, the longer-lived Doofus Brother, will be put down today. The illness he's been suffering that I mentioned in a different thread was not the viral bug we hoped; the tumor mass is large and has invaded his liver. Age 10.5, he still purrs for us, but after a seizure yesterday it is clearly time to let him go. He is survived by four humans and two unrelated-by-blood nephews.

Siegfried' date=' the longer-lived Doofus Brother, will be put down today. The illness he's been suffering that I mentioned in a different thread was not the viral bug we hoped; the tumor mass is large and has invaded his liver. Age 10.5, he still purrs for us, but after a seizure yesterday it is clearly time to let him go. He is survived by four humans and two unrelated-by-blood nephews.[/quote']

My condolences.

Many thanks for the sympathies regarding Siegfried's passing, folks. He's buried out by the back fence, not far from Loki, his not-related-by-blood brother. His humans and his feline nephews miss him.

We did keep from him something that would be spell components in a fantasy universe: white whiskers from a black cat. He had four.